Used 2012 Kia Optima Consumer Reviews - 108 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Kia Optima

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

2012 Kia Optima Amazing Value for the Money
By botoboto

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased a 2012 Optima last year.
I love this car! There is no need, I feel, for spending $$$ on a luxury sedan.
The car is very comfortable, sporty, fun to drive, and the Gas Mileage is what the sticker says.
Actually I can get 37 on highway trips.
I even used the Progressive drive module for a month and
had a poor rating because of my acceleration habits.
Now there are some things I do not like.
The side mirrors are NOT connected to the seat memory.
If I had known this, I wouldn't have purchased the car. My last 3 cars had this feature and I am very used to it.
Also the passenger seat will not raise and my wife says its like sitting in a hole.
Road noise is louder than I like.

Heated steering wheel. Engine power and smooth shifting. Great styling. Great Interior luxury and comfort.

Definitely link the memory seats with the power mirrors. If they have to eliminate the power roof system to do this it would be fine with me. I never use it and yet it is not an option on the EX. The tires are quite noisy. Too much road noise.

Good car for the money!
By sabz

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Originally had the 2011 Optima, but after having the same problem 6times with the brake pedal getting stuck, and not being able to start the car, the dealer bought it back from us, and we traded up to the 2012.
We've had the car since about this time last year.
Really impressed with the difference.
Seats are significantly more comfortable, and interior quality is also improved.
Performance is adequate, and so is interior and trunk space.
However, we aren't able to get the MPG's that are predicted to get, about an average of 26.
Overall, we're really happy with
the car, and hope to get many miles out it.

The heated front and rear seats, as well as the steering wheel are nice on cold Wisconsin mornings. The panoramic sunroof is also a nice feature. The rear outward visibility isn't the best, but having the rear-view back up camera makes up for it. The ride is surprisingly comfortable on the highway, and the Bluetooth phone connectivity is flawless.

Very short list. One thing is the road noise. Quieter tires, or better interior sound insulation would help make the car more refined and enjoyable on the highway. Other than the rear outward visibility, can't think of anything else wrong with the car. Really impressed for the car we got for the money.

Good in some aspects, still lacking in a lot more
By orleans44

2012 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Traded my '09 TSX for a '12 Optima SX.
While there are tons of nice standard features, like the heated and cooled seats, the turbo, the push button start and the panoramic sunroof, it's easy to tell the trade-offs Kia sacrificed to appease the value conscious consumer.
If you're a true car person who pays attention to details and spends a decent amount of time in the car, spend a little more and get a car from a manufacturer who figures out the details.

The car has great power.
It will go when you want it to.
The tires are the weak point and you find that out with wet pavement.
The mileage is less than what mfr states on the sticker and on the "ave mpg" show in the dash.

Heated/Cooled seats are comfy & rear heated seats are pleasant surprises for passengers, Great exterior look (lots of rubber necks!), lots of cargo space in trunk, good infinity sound, lots of power under the hood and great highway acceleration when needed, streaming music or phone conversation is really nice. closed panoramic moonroof. Steering wheel control is ok for radio but not useful for the phone, although once connected, the hands free is nice. Folding mirrors are a nice touch, too.

Wind/Road noise are excessive, iPod/phone user interface is terrible even with the factory iPod cable - hard to navigate menus and playlists, also would have been nice to hide the wires like Acura! Gauge panel cluster is lacking (better info would be nice - some nav or temp info like audi), navi screen is cluttered with menu icons, and navi rarely recognizes a named destination, voice recognition is awful and voice dial is cumbersome, sunroof operation is not intuitive and is accompanied by sound wave buffeting behind another vehicle! Cheap materials in the buttons and poor button placement. Kia just didn't think through on a lot of things and cut corners on quality to provide features.

A good buy with a few flaws
By upacrk1

2012 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought a new 2012 Kia Optima LX in Snow White Pearl back in May 2012.
Originally I had an issue with the driver's seat not being very comfortable.
(I didn't notice this in the short test drive.)
In the 9 months I've owned it, my butt seems to have gotten used to it.
The acceleration is great!
So good that if the roads are slick, I have to put it in ECO mode so the tires don't slip.
This may also says something about the OEM Nexen tires.
I haven't been driving much so far- only 4700 miles.
(Try to walk/bike as much as I can).
MPG per tank is 22-27 with an avg 24.5 .
As expected, mileage is lower in the cold winter months.
No long trips yet - can't wait to see what I'll get then!

Update - almost four years out (16500 miles), the car still looks great! While they might work for most owners, the light beige colored seats are a little too light for my liking. I should have gotten the darker gray/black. Passenger seat is built a little too low and does not adjust up/down. Seat risers are available online. 2016 models now have up/down adjustment. Road noise is noticeable; could use more insulation. Driver's leg room is good and seems to be getting worse on newer similar sized cars. Heater/AC work great! Sport shift feature is fun. Music generally comes from a USB stick. Voice command software/hardware is finicky. Dash layout is good; controls very functional. Although it's been decades since I've had a flat, I was uncomfortable with the no spare/compressed air can-sealer setup. I purchased a new OEM spare tire kit online for $181. The default no spare setup leaves a lot of wasted space in the spare wheel well. Easy access to this space would have been a sensible thing to design. The sensitive electronic steering takes some getting used to and requires more attention at highway speeds.

Update 2 - I finally got in a short road trip in (220 miles) and got 35 MPG! Wow! And the electronic steering issue - that's now been fixed with a software update. It's much better now. And just one last comment - a rattle that was driving me nuts (and sounded like it was coming from behind the glove box) turned out to a pair of sunglasses in the overhead eyeglass holder. The Nexen tires still leave something to be desired.

A very nice driving experience!
By garlin1

2012 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I would like to reply to all those customers who are complaining about the Fuel economy of the Optima. I just bought a new 2013 Optima LX and after reading your peeves about MPG I am flummoxed as to whether or not we are driving the same model. First off, I am approaching 7000 miles and I have averaged 30 MPG. No, I do not only drive on a traffic free highway, for I happen to live in California. Also, if you have the LX or EX model in a 2.4 Litre and you complain about getting under 20 MPG there is something specifically wrong with your driving style and habits. Fuel economy relies where and how you drive. What matters is how smoothly and how often you depress the accelerator.

The body design, dashboard, electronic displays, and the headroom.