Used 2012 Kia Optima Consumer Reviews - 109 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Kia Optima

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

so far so good
By dawoj52

2012 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I got my kia optima 2012 LX used. I thought it would make a great commute car i drive around 80 miles per day to and from work. I currently have 80,000 miles on my kia and so far it has been a joy .I do have some minor problems like the passager and rear windows cant be rolled up or down from the driver control panel ,r/s cigarette lighter does not work,inside temperature gauge quit working ,so i have to take it back to the dealer. The tires on the kia are very cheep and need to be replaced asap upon purchase. MPG is great i drive from Chicago to Indiana all highway miles and i spend no more than $ 55 per week on gas . I get complements on a look of the car all the time !!

fun to drive, has good acceleration for a 4 cyl. great looking car .

TIRES !!!!!!

Update -- Better than Expected
By fixer199

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

57,000 mi update -- still love the car. Trouble free and still get lots of compliments on how good it looks.
42,000 mile update. This car has been one of the most trouble-free and enjoyable cars we've ever owned. Still don't recommend the Nav unit, but I understand Kia changed it for 2013.

OEM Nexen tires are crap! We swapped them for Michellins at 30k. HUGE improvement in handling, quiet, and wet traction.

We log our fuel usage and have averaged 25.53 mpg since new. About 80% of that was metro driving. We usually get 30-33 on road trips.

Dealer service has been excellent. Had one issue with a burr on the steering gear. My wife didn't even notice it, but the dealer took care of it and provided a loaner. No hassles. Wish I could say the same for my Ford truck dealer.

Ran great for 2 years and now problems
By yogi111

2012 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

For the most part I love this car. If I keep it at 80 or under on the freeway it can get 31-33 mpg. City mpg around 22. The battery died one month after the warranty expired and my fuel pump just went out...luckily I got it to the shop before I was stranded and it is still under warranty.

The heated/cooled seats are very comfortable.

The door speakers on both sides have been replaced and the new ones still don't sound great. I don't play music loud enough to blow them out so the quality needs to be improved. The original tires looked good but bad weather performance sucked! The battery lasted less than 3 years-WTF?

UPDATE: review 2012 Kia Optima SX
By cdh906

2012 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is an update to my past review. I have 67,000 (2.5 yrs old) miles on my car- and I want to get rid of it now. I'm very disappointed in this car now. (I previously gave it 4 stars) but reliability trumps here. This car has now left me stranded in a parking lot twice because it wouldn't start. Stuck on the side of the freeway due to a failed fuel pump which is apparently common, but Kia won't pay for the replacement. Without a working turbo more than a few times. The leather is not real - and has started cracking despite meticulous care. Battery died at 2.25 yrs and this is also "the norm" for this car. Having to tow my 'new' car to the dealership on a flatbed was less than fun.

Good aesthetics

They made a pretty car but it's poorly done and won't last. Rebuild the whole car with quality parts.

12 SX Turbo
By sxturbo12

2012 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have owned the 12 SX Turbo for about a week now. I just traded in a 10 Dodge Charger SXT 3.5 due to early trans failure :(. it killed me. However, i am LOVING the Optima SX TURBO.. very good MPG's for a turbo engine. I do about 90% city driving and I average about 25.5 MPG's. Going from a charger to an optima is quite a large jump but I couldn't be happier. I am still on my first tank of cause. With the calculations, I should end up with about 415-420 on this tank. I do not drive like a grandma either .. lol.

Love the exterior sport appearance. Comfort in the seating. Spacious for tall people like me. 2.0 TURBO with good pickup. MPG's. Low cost.

I do enjoy a bigger steering wheel. That is probably my only suggestion... a steering wheel more thick and slightly large in size for easy to grip and handle.