Used 2012 Kia Optima Consumer Reviews - 109 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Kia Optima

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Love my optima
By Patricia

2012 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought the car 2012, new. Drives nice, good mpg, a little noisy, trouble shutting trunk. Drivers seat starting to feel springs 4 yrs out. Maintenance, knowing your manual is key to keeping engine &transmission in good shape. 74000 miles to date..no repairs, just maintenance.

Worst decision for a first time car buyer
By Ashli

2012 Kia Optima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I'm do disappointed with colonial Kia I bought a used 2012 Kia Optima lx at 25,000 miles I've had to replace tires twice since I bought it last year really had in rain and snow. Just recently for state inspection had to buy a whole new set of tires! Then tonight I actually made it home thank god but my car now will not start! I've poured a lot of money into this car this is my first car that I bought and it has been a horrible experience my Jetta vw that was given to me from my mom lasted longer than this :(

Blown Engine
By J Supanich

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Engine blew at 47,000. Like others have posted, my engine blew driving 70 mph on the highway. I bought the car used with 36,000 miles. At 42,000 it needed the fuel pump replaced (under warranty). When the engine blew, it took a long time for Kia Motors to approve the work. They will try to find reasons to not cover the work. I finally got my car back 6 weeks later.
Another issue I have is it is consistently pulling to the left. I have had it looked at 3 times already and it's still not fixed.
I do really like the some of the features of the Optima though. The Navigation and Climate Controls are on point. And it has a nice sporty feel to the car, but at this point I'm looking to trade it in ASAP before something else goes wrong.

Blown engine issue and transmission
By Victor vega

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The 2012 Kia Optima ex GDI is a sexy looking car comfortable luxury but when I was driving on the free way at 70 mph in the fast lane the engine unexpectally turned off I thought I was going to get in a accident or die on that free way the dealership told me your engine is hurting bad and your entire engine needs to be replaced I just got a fresh good synthetic motor oil change it was fine driving but till this happens I miss work I was stuck with my car for 10 hours till I found the number to call the free Kia towing road side assistance by my warranty my Kia has 47,000 miles when it died and I just received it from car max I thought this was a very reliable car I guess not and how can I maintain the transmission since it's not serviceable ? If this new engine seizes again I'm sueing Kia no exceptions and I have my laywer waiting for me to say the word also Kia has poor engines and transmissions only good things are good body and luxury confort that's it.

2012 Optima EX purchased new
By Michiganrunner

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I love my car....except...from the time I bought it just over 3 yrs ago, I've had battery issues. Now I'm thinking it's an electronic issue. I can sit in my car not running, and listen to the radio for 15 mins and the battery will die. Can't count the number of times I've had it jumped. KIA replaced the battery last year...and the problem continues. I only have 32,300 miles on my car in over 3 yrs- with a newer battery, and it's died twice within 3 weeks. Thankfully my local Kia dealer is going to pick it up from my work tomorrow morning, evaluate it, and bring it back to me before I leave work. My electronics freaked out today when I attempted to restart. I prepared to call Kia's free roadside assistance again and needed my VIN# to do so. I'd waited approx an hr and a half before calling. I went to my car to get the VIN...and it magically started! Wth? All electronic features had to be reset, but it actually started right up. Hence I do not believe it to be a battery issue, but an electronic one