Used 2012 Kia Optima Consumer Reviews - 109 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Kia Optima

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Optima EX GTi: 5-year review. 79000 miles
By Val

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

(The dropdown only gave me the Hybrid option; this is NOT a hybrid Optima).

My last review (shown below) still holds. I did have to replace a headlight, a $100+ job due to the way the way the bulbs are accessed. The car remains trouble-free and other than routine maintenance, car washes and the new tires mentioned below, I have invested no $$ in it. It's the go-to car in the family for road trips due to great gas mileage & comfort. I have kept the Sirius/XM subscription which we enjoy on long drives.

(Previous review at 61,000 miles) I have a 3-day a week, 120-mile round trip commute. Gas mileage and good handling in snowy IL winters were important to me when I made a decision to purchase this car new in 2012. In all but the coldest conditions, I average 32-35 mpg on my highway drives; 25+ if driving around town. Like others, I love the heated steering wheel and seats, cooled seats in summer and the sunroof. Like others, when I have to take a turn in the passenger seat, I find it annoyingly low. Replaced tires at about 50,000 miles. Had the fuel pump go out (under warranty) at about 27,000 miles. Other than that, no repairs; just routine maintenance and regular oil changes (using synthetic oil - my choice; always use it!) I still love a lot of little things about this car - the keyless entry; the way the lights come on when I walk up to the car, the trunk space, the room for occasional passengers, the stylish looks. Handles just fine in the snow and still looks sharp as new on the outside. The tan leather is too light - shows dirt too easily; wish I would have gotten the darker interior. Overall, very pleased with my loaded Optima.

Never buy a Kia...Worst decision ever
By Michelle

2012 Kia Optima EX Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Kia Optima sucks!! At 55,000 miles engine seized and we were forced to replace it even though there was a warranty but Kia ALWAYS finds a way out of paying as can be seen by the reviews. Now at 90,000 miles car transmission or Turbo is going out so car is now going back into shop. Two weeks ago wire harness broke some how and severe several wires causing the brake system to go out! And if you call a Kia dealer all they will tell you is how great the Optima's are and why they would own them.... I offered to sell him mine on the spot, even told him that since his mechanic replaced motor that car should be perfect right??? There needs to be a mandatory recall o these cars immediately before someone is killed!!!! I want mine gone already!!!

Bad experience
By Luis

2012 Kia Optima EX Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Compre un kia optima 2012 con 18000 millas, el peor carro que he comprado, se me prendía el check engine y el turbo dejaba de jalar. lo lleve al dealer y me dijeron que era la bomba de gasolina. 910 dlls. A los 3 días comenzó a fallar otra vez de lo mismo. Lo tenía que prender apagar y volver a prender para que probablemente trabaje el turbo. Todavía debía 4 años de 340 dlls por mes. Finalmente un día no me prendió el check engine y aproveche para ir a la ford para cambiarlo por una Ford edge. No vuelvo a cometer el error de comprar un kia.

Great deal and ride!
By Don Heisler

2012 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I got mine way below book and it was one time lease owner so it was taken care of. If you find one treated right it should last. In all makes of vehicles there are bad apples so get an extended warranty because any used car will have parts that fail. Mechanic friend said that kia has come along way and I couldn't be happier. Great sporty luxury car for low price. Fast and very fun K5 edition!

Terrible - Upset
By Brandon

2012 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my 2012 Kia Optima SX in October of 2014 with 42,000 miles. Now...November of 2015, I hit 63,000 miles and the engine just blew on the expressway. No Kia warranty as it expired, relying on a 3rd party warranty group. I provided the warranty company with all my service, oil change and maint records. It's taking a while to get updates. Future Kia buyers, ensure you do ample research and read owner reviews. I will never buy Kia again due to the fact that my model was very well maintained with Kia service dept and general car owner maintenance duties. I have friends who own Kia model between 2012-2014 and they to have had engine blew... One model Being Kia Soul. Very disappointed.