Used 2011 Kia Optima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 93 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Kia Optima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

7 months / 14,000 miles
By we_will_see

2011 Kia Optima Sedan EX Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Have had my Optima EX turbo/loaded for 7 mo. now and have driven over 14,000 miles.
Still like this care very much, I live in NE Ohio and it drives great in the snow.
Had to drive through a snow storm in Indiana on my way home from Chicago and it handled great on the highway.
Love the heated seats and steering wheel, great on those cold mornings.
Defrost works fast & well, as does the rear defrost/mirror heaters.
Handling & performance are excellent, very sure footed.
Transmission is great also.
Love the nav/blue tooth/voice activation etc.
Every thing is really easy to use.
My only complaint would be the stiff seat but heard they fixed in 2012 models.
Overall great car!

Performance, heated seats, heated steering wheel, navigation/blue tooth/voice, handling, driving in the snow, quiet.

More padding in seats (heard they have done this in 2012 model), gas mileage is good but not as good as they claim. My gas mileage was better when I first bought it. This may because it's winter and typically get lower gas mileage in the cold weather.

How could I
By slownomore

2011 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I never thought I would leave the US market but when kia came out with the new design on the optima I said I want that car.So far I have no regrets on buying my 2011 optima even though I have the LX with automatic and conv.package upgrades I love this car.With my bad driving habits I still get 30mpg.The 2.4 liter has plenty of power for me.The ride is nice and fairly quiet.I like the new design inside and out

Steering wheel controls for electronics.blue tooth connectivity thru stereo auto dimming mirror with home link love it.

make the top of the line model more affordable!

Excellent Value
By takmac

2011 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My Optima EX 2011 was purchased in Indy about 4 mo ago. My original dream was a 4 yr old Lexus ES350, but after a lot of looking, comparing and driving all of the alternatives, I finally decided on the Optima for its value, long warranty, options and comfort.
For what I would have paid for an upscale used car, I got a ton of great options. Mine is loaded; love the panoramic roof, heated and cooled seats, Nav, and engine.
The Infinity stereo is awesome.
Fit and finish is excellent. I like it much better than my siblings Fusion and Taurus.
The rear-seat entry is way better than the Fords, and trunk space is more than sufficient. Ride is very good, engine quiet and road noise is acceptable.

Exterior design, comfort, ride; build quality, features/accessories; power. Interior space and ergonomics.

Horn is anemic, No glovebox light standard. Add a light in the console compartment.

Gas Mileage only 21 mpg!!
By west209

2011 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

When looking for a new car my wife and I were first looking at gas mileage.
We like the Optima EX's panoramic sunroof, heated seats, and other aestitics.
However, we were disappointed that the gas mileage was between 19-23 mpg, and we commute 40 miles RT.
We do not travel fast and mostly drive freeway!
After 1000 miles the dealer said it takes longer to break it in "6,000 miles". At just over 6,000 miles we scheduled a full service complaint: they found nothing and directed us to the "KIA Consumer Affairs Dept.".
We have NEVER been treated so rude! "Angel" said, "Sorry!
Too bad! Don't pay attention to EPA estimated MPG!!"
We are stuck with a lemon! The WORSE customer service. Lawsuit!

We love the car except for the gas mileage! When one makes a new car purchase gas mileage is a material consideration to its affordability or not! We could be driving a truck with this gas mileage! The sticker claims we should spend an estimated annual fuel cost of $1,665! No way! We are getting only about 65-70% of that!

Honoring your advertising! False advertising is a major consumer relations issue! KIA needs to treat its customers in a way where they don't post these type of comments! The only recourse a customer has is to sue?!?! A consumer should not pay attention to gas mileage!? This car is a lemon!

Great car for anyone with realistic expectations
By titan415

2011 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I'm always interested to see how people react to things. Some people drive this car and see it for what it is: a great value and a really good car.

And then there are those to say that it's not a good car because they have driven, owned, or dreampt of better. You'll see plenty of those reviews here and other places.

The reality is that this car is great for the money, offers a huge range of features, has a warranty that should allay any fears about the uknown, and, finally, it looks hot.

It's not a perfect car, true. The wide c-pillar creates a blind spot, the engine isn't V6 smooth, and it's true that the seats aren't the best. But nits aside, this is a seriously good car.

Love the looks--this styling will stand the test of time, unlike the Hyundai Sonata Quiet interior compared to most in this class Ride is controlled and taught. Yes, it doesn't float, so don't buy this car if you really want a flying couch like a Camry. Great set of features, but my absolute favorite is the USB input, which lets you play music from a thumb drive. Very, very cool. Fantastic value. Fully loaded this thing cost me less than my '03 Accord EX-L V6 did new.

It's the same stuff everyone says: The steering really is numb. You don't notice it much on a standard test drive, but a windy road will show you what it's missing. Not a huge deal, but it does get in the way of the fun factor. The seats. You know, flat and a bit hard. The blind spot is a direct result of the styling, so that's no easy fix, but a blind spot sensor would be nice. Other than that . . . P.S. "Reliability" is a required field here, which is ridiculous for a new car review. I have around 300 miles on it at this point.