Used 2011 Kia Optima Consumer Reviews - 98 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Kia Optima

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Great Car Very Poor Mileage
By ischreiber

2011 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car because I thought it was beautiful and still do.
I t comes with great features for the money and is very distinctive.
The one big problem I have is the mileage.
I get about 17-19 in the city and about 26 on the highway.
The estimate they advertise is 24 City 35 Highway.
What is particularly disturbing is the response/lack of response from either the dealer or KIA customer service.
The dealer did a fuel economy test on the car and came up with combined city/hwy of 22.5 mpg a far cry from the advertised mpg.
I am totally frustrated with KIA.
I previously owned an accord EXL and will probably go back to them next time I buy.

backup camera

Live up to Mileage expectations

3rd update
By donnie71281

2011 Kia Optima EX Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've now had my EX-Turbo for 13 months.
Just hit 8,000 miles.
I still love the car as much as I did the day I got it.
Not had a single problem with the car.
I have no complaints with the fuel economy at all.
Yes, the Nexen tires are noisy, but once those are changed the car is extremely quiet. Makes our Accord sound like a wind tunnel.

I would buy this car all over again.
No regrets.

Everything.

Better stock tires would be a good thing.

Real Pleasure to Drive
By jillyfish

2011 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Former Lincoln owner, this car is fun and comfortable! Fantastic value.

Good lines from every angle.

A little difficult to see behind you when backing out because the rear window is high. The radio needs help, too tinny.

don't drive it as you would drive Prius
By doryhan

2011 Kia Optima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

My other (or previous) cars:
Ford Taurus V6
Chrysler PT-CRUISER I4
Cadillac DHS V8

I have owned and been driving Optima Hybrid (OH) for a month, filling up the tank twice.

MPG:
first tank 34.5MPG

second tank 35.5MPG
(99% city: the car computer indicates the average speed 22.2MPH)

At the beginning, I tried to drive the optima the way I would drive a Prius - slow acceleration, no sudden stops, obsessively use EV mode (or try to use). But that does not help you with MPG. (more talks continued
in "Suggested improvements")

Sleek, modern exterior design (with no excessive use of curves). Super quiet interior (ties larger cars from Cadillac). No wind noise at all. Average road noise, though. Great MPG: It is easy to top its official MPG. Of course, it totally depends on your driving style. MPG of Toyota hybrid cars tends to be much more stable (less depends on your driving style). Toyota hybrids, especially Prius, simply do not allow you to drive aggressively - is it good or bad? Great value: I think 2012 Camry hybrid has slightly better hybrid system than Optima does. However, you will have to pay extra $4~5000 for, otherwise, similar equipped car (with boring exterior design).

Interesting findings: Optima hybrid (OH) was equipped with 6 speed unlike Prius that has CVT. While accelerating, OH's electric motor rarely engage after the first speed. Once you reach over 40MPH, it starts to use 6th speed and EV mode starts to engage again. Do not stay at the speed range between 10-40mph (i.e., avoid to stay with 2~5 speeds) too long. You can accelerate pretty hard like you drive a car with V6 or V8, and that actually helps to achieve better MPG - isn't it interesting? This indicates that KIA needs to optimize/update the transmission software so that it can work better with EV while the car is running on its 2-5th speed.)

engine light--Vapor leak!!
By jm1522

2011 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We bought a brand fresh out of the factory 2011 Optima, which had to be returned to the dealership after 500miles for the engine light.
The service department said that the car had a faulty gas cap and make sure that we DO NOT top off at the gas pump.
200miles after the engine light was reset it came back on again.
This car has been into the dealership 5times for the engine light, each time the service dept says it is a vapor leak!!
If a car has been returned 5times for the same issue, apparently there is a real problem and just turning off the engine light DOES NOT fix the problem.

The gas mileage greatly suffers when the Engine light is on. After having to take it to another KIA dealership they found that the engine light code showed that the PURGE VALVE SENSOR failed in the car.