Used 2011 Kia Optima Consumer Reviews - 98 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Kia Optima

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

2011 Optima Blows Hole in Engine
By Tony

2011 Kia Optima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Hi Friends, I don't normally post but I felt that this family issue needed to be broadcasted. Our daughter turned 17 on May 14, about a month earlier my wife and I, along with our daughter bought her 1st car, a beautiful 2011 Kia Optima EX. We knew that it had high mileage and was beyond the Kia warranty. 2 weeks after we brought it home the engine blew a rod and there was a 3" hole in the engine block, the repair solution was a new engine. We have exhausted all avenues for assistance from the Honda dealer we bought if from to NJ Consumer Lemon Law. The only option would have been an aftermarket extended warranty which we didn't have. Now the point of this post is to advise anyone interested, that Kia has a U.S. Consumer Affairs department that reviewed our case for over a month and would not lend assistance to replace the engine. They told me that they are advocates for the consumer and there to help. They were clear that this car was not covered with a warranty and if they offered any assistance it would be "Good Will". In the end they stuck to their warranty statement and would not offer any good will. I have owned may brands of cars and some I have driven for over 200K miles. I would tell anyone who may ask that they should not buy Kia, this is a company that wouldn't offer assistance for a 4 year old car. We had the car repaired locally in NJ by a Kia Service Dept. $5000.00 for a remanufactured engine.

kia bad motors
By denise cantrell

2011 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought a 2011 optima it has 32000 miles on it the motor went out at 80000 miles so kia puts a used motor in it 28th 62000 miles on it that motor went out at 82000 miles now kia tells me that it's my problem that the car is fine and they can't help me or tell me why the motor went out on top of that my car has been down from June 2015 can't find a motor with less than 132000 miles on it or the parts to rebuild it but kia told me they had the parts but when the mechanic couldn't get the parts what do you I wouldn't take a new car from kia even if I didn't have any payments I would wall first very in happy ... Denise Cantrell sc

EX fully loaded is an awesome car
By boneyard1

2011 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Currently reviewing the 2011 Optima EX with 66,000 miles. I wouldn't like the car nearly as much with the LX package or even without the tech or premium packages, but when loaded with those options, this is a great ride and tremendous value! Drives great, plenty of power when needed, and great highway gas mileage. I usually only get 24-25mpg when city driving, but easily get over 30mpg on any kind of road trip. I've had no issues mechanically. Love the upgrades that are available on this car and it looks/feels like a car twice its price. Plenty of room in the backseat for adults and also children in car seats.

Heated and cooled seats work great, navigation and voice command are huge benefits, memory seats for my wife and I, rearview camera is big and clear, and probably the best feature is the push button start - being able to unlock/lock the car and start it up without ever taking the key out of my pocket. This is a hard feature to get in a car that costs $27k brand new.

50k+ and zero issues Lease end with 75k miles
By deeper

2011 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Car has shown no wear on leather seats or elsewhere. No squeeks. No issues. My Lexus LS430 had more problems at this mileage and mention this because at 1/2 the price makes Kia Optima a compelling used car buy. Addition: Returned vehicle at 75K miles and still running and looking great. Needed full break work to continue but not unexpected at this mileage. Kia covered small issues beyond warranty period with no hassles and a smile. Service experience by Kia at various dealers matched only by Lexus dealers. I would recommend this car as a used vehicle as it seems to be able to hold up with miles and time.

112,000+ miles and still going strong!
By mainecoast

2011 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I really love this car. The seating could be a little more comfortable, but my seat has pretty much conformed to me after all these miles. 6 speed manual is a lot of fun, I'm a big fan of standard transmissions. Passing on back roads is a breeze, plenty of power, that 200hp 4 cyl provides good power to weight ratio....just pop it down into 3rd step on it, and it goes...fast. I've hit what seems to be a rev limiter on occasion, and a top speed limiter in 6th because it ran out of steam at about 118 with what should have been plenty of room showing on the tach. Totally reliable. Tires, oil changes, trans. oil change. That's it. Brakes, plugs, serp. belt, radiator flush in spring.

Styling, 6 speed manual, Bluetooth. Great gas mileage on summer blend/in the summer-gets between 30-34 mpg on long trips, average is somewhere between 28-29. Winter blend and winter driving cuts the mpg down, usually about 2 mpg. Very stable car, well balanced.

Front seats.