Used 2009 Kia Optima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 50 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Kia Optima Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Bad Purchase
By Jamie

2009 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My husband and I decided to expand our family, which ment a bigger car. The first week of owning the car we had to replace the crank sensor. It done fine for about 3 weeks and it went back out again. Our check engine light is now kicking on and off, so we took the car and had a diagnostic run and the crank sensor is bad again. The oil pump has been replaced 2 times since the day we bought the car and its going out again. Our cousin bought a car just like ours and has had the same problems as we have. This is the worst car that we have ever purchased and we will never own another kia again!

120,000 miles
By Lawrence Baye

2009 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

6 years and 120,000 later, I have not had to have the car repaired for anything except for headlight. I replaced both, but did not by bulbs from dealer. Do maintenance on schedule. I live in a very rural area so very few stop signs and traffic lights and most roads have 55 MPH limit so not much wear and tear on car compared to city living. I am 5' 8" and 190 lbs so no problem with driving comfort. We also own a 2015 Optima.

2009 Kia Optima TRANSMISSIONS ON OPTIMAS ARE BAD!
By unsatisfied

2009 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I had problems with acceleration from the time I bought this new. I was told there wasn't a problem they put it on the computer and there wasn't anything wrong....I am a woman so...it was well we cant find anything wrong. I was charged for the KIA maintenance plan for 5 years...and low and behold at the end of 5 years....they found it needed a new transmission....!!!

First and last import
By tielbor

2009 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We were looking for a decent, mid-sized car and settled on the Optima.
We purchased the car used(two years old), with 40,000 miles on it.
The car served us well for the first year and a half with only a few small issues. As soon as the warranty expired at 60,000 miles, the transmission failed.
Two weeks after replacing the transmission($2700), the air bag sensor in the passenger seat failed ($1500).
After the sensor, a host of electrical problems surfaced.
Since the car cost us more in repairs in than it was worth over a year, we sold it and won't touch another KIA.

Comfortable seats, peppy and fuel efficient engine.

Quality control. Cars should not fall apart at 60,000 miles. Also, dealer service. The dealer tried to blame us for any and all problems the vehicle had. They told us the transmission fluid was low, causing failure and that we dumped a lot of water on the seat to cause the air bag sensor to fail. Corporate customer relations were no better. I never had such bad interaction with any manufacturer before and I have owned many makes and models of vehicles before the KIA.

Transmission
By dholder35

2009 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

KIA needs to make a better transmission. This is the second Kia Optima I have owned and the transmission always seems to go out. The service department will always say you need a transmission flush, but then after the warranty runs out the transmission will quit working and I have to pay for the transmission to be replaced. When I
apply my brakes the transmission will down shift hard.

Ease of handling. Corners like its on rails.

Transmission