2008 Kia Optima Consumer Review: Do Not Get a Kia

2008 Kia Optima - Consumer Review

LX Sedan (2.4L 4-cyl. 5-speed Automatic)

Do Not Get a Kia
By barbararoberts on

2008 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my car brand new in June '08.
The main reason I bought an Optima is because all the safety airbags on it.
it really did seem to be a safe car on the market at that time.
Since then I have seen a main complaint that the airbags DO NOT deploy when there is an impact.
That gave me a really big concern.
Well, now my car is cutting off with me as I start down the road and I have been told it is because I have used aftermarket oil filters.
BULL!!!!!
They put Kia oil filter on and guess what?
It is still cutting off with me.
I came to a T-intersection one day and it desided to cut off.
When it did NO BRAKES, No Power Steering and I had to pull out IN FRONT of another vehicle that was coming and just luckily there was noone coming in other lane so that vehicle could go around me.
And I guess that I forgot to mention that my 10 yr old SON was in the car with me.
I have taken my car down to the Kia shop in Myrtle Beach, SC every Tuesday for the last 2 months and it also stayed there for 1 full week during that time.
NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE EXCEPT A KIA OIL FILTER PUT ON...
I"m considering this car to be a LEMON and I have told Kia that it will be on them if this car kills me and my son until it is fixed or replaced.

I have been dealing with Wes and Bob at the Kia Service area in Myrtle beach, SC which has been very nice to me but something has to give.
I am fixing to list this car under the Lemon Law with my lawyer.
The safety of this car SUCKS!!
I need help with this.
Someone else higher up the ladder needs to step in on this case.
Wes has a case number already out with the Technical staff but something has got to be done.
I can not have mine and my son's life in jeoperdy like this. THIS CAR IS DANGEROUS.
I have dropped it off AGAIN at the Kia Service area this evening (09/03/12) for the ump-teenth time so it can be checked out again tomorrow.
I will travel ANOTHER 45 min to check on it tomorrow.
My days off from work should NOT be spent at the Kia Service area.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By ohexbreezyy
on 12/30/16 21:17 PM (PST)

To read this review, I have to start by saying Im sorry that you have had such a bad experience with this model, But honestly I find it quite insulting to go as far to say that this car is a lemon, and that this model is "dangerous" I currently am an owner of a 08 optima lx 2.4cyl, I am the 3rd owner of this car, and it only has 120k miles on it, and this car is by far the best vehicle I have owned! This car changed my whole outlook on cars, and because of this car I will never buy or own anything BUT a Kia Optima. This car is unbelievably reliable, easily maintained, and a all around GREAT vehicle! Its simple, yet stylish, and has most of the newer sought out features. This car is an absolutely amazing car, in every way possible! Other than normal wear and tear, and normal maintenance, and up keep, this car will not let you down!! It is absolute blasphemy, and an insult to say that this model is "dangerous" also! This model is hands down one of the safest cars you could possibly own! My insurance went up when I purchased this car and added it to my policy, and my agent specifically told me that the reason that this made my rates go up, was because of how safe it actually is! My agent specifically told me the reason this car made my rates go up was due to the fact that this car is built soo safe, that if I were to hit another vehicle with this model, it would undoubtedly cause significantly MORE damage to the OTHER vehicle than it would actually sustain itself it from an accident! This car has incredible safety features, and the vehicle itself is built like a brick- literally!! I can also say I can attest to the safety of this vehicle due to 2 separate accidents I've personally been in, in this exact model! First accident I was run into a building, a solid structure, and walked away with out a scratch on me, and the vehicle only sustained SLIGHT front fender damage, and a cracked headlight cover, and that was it. The car still ran perfectly, and only had cosmetic damage. The second accident I was in a hit and run, and was hit, and thrown into a center barrier on the parkway. I also walked away without a scratch on me, and the vehicle had only sustained minor front end damage (all body damage) and needed a new tire, strut, lower arm bar was bent, and needed a sway bar link. The vehicle was still intact, and yes the second time it did infact need work, but that car saved my life! My car should have crumbled, and been completely totaled! The police/ first responders were shocked that not only the car survived, but that I had also survived that accident, and walked away without a scratch, bump, or bruise!! This car is absolutely SAFE in every single way, and it is an incredible car! Like I had said earlier, Im sorry you had such a horrid experience with this model, but I seriously beg to differ on your entire review and outlook on this model! I could go on and on and on about how great this car is, and how much I'd recommend this car to any and everyone and repute every single negative comment you have made regarding it, but I think what I have said is enough by itself to disregard this entire claim.