Used 2007 Kia Optima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 77 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2007 Kia Optima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

2007 KIA Optima
By bearscouter

2007 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The basic car is great but the fuel mileage is less than advertised. With a 34 hwy mpg on the sticker we figured we would average over 30 but we are between 26 and 28 mpg. That has really disappointed us. KIA does not seem concerned saying it is better than the 24 city mpg. We drive 95% highway on cruise control on 70 MPH with not much slowing or stopping. Also the radio does not pick up AM very well.

I like the way the cruise control is setup on the steering wheel.

Honest Opinion
By Not sure

2007 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my car in September 2007, I drive about 40 miles to work every day. Since September I have the weather stripping on my windshield come off, I have had a bad tire, and the gear shifter cable undone twice leaving me stuck because my car was stuck in reverse, I have had it towed to the dealership twice within a month. Thank god the warranty covered it but not fun when you rely on your car to get to work.

Avoid at all costs- Please learn from me
By KenInPasco

2007 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I've had to replace the wonderful automatic transmission twice. Kia needs to address the problems people are having with their five speed automatic transmissions. AAA roadside assistance has had to tow me three times with this vehicle. Twice for the transmission and once for a failed starter.

The seats are very comfortable. Nice legroom, it's a great car when it runs.

Car gets poor gas mileage. At 65 MPH highway driving with cruise on I never get better that 23 MPG

Honest opinion
By pamela

2007 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have had this car for a month already. I really like it but I have had to replace the trunk seal because it leaked when you ran it through the car wash and I had to have a fuel pump and sender replaced. The sender doesn't come separately so you have to get the whole pump. The car had around 28,000 miles on it when I bought it. I was a little disappointed that a major part had to be replaced already. free under warranty but I am a little worried about down the road repairs. I hope it is better than the ford contour I had before that thing was always being repaired. I did do some research and found the type of engine inside the car is suppose to be good for 250,000 miles. I hope it lasts.

I love the blue dashboard lights!! I like the style of the car&inside. I like the fold down seats. I love the attached hubcaps I was always losing them on the other car. I like the outlet to plug the cell phone into. I like the black on the floor it seems to look clean all the time even when dirty..

Bars. I wish with the little bars indicating how much fuel you had left they had something that indicated how many miles you had to go until a bar disappeared. Its hard to tell how far you can go before one of the bars disappear. I like the digital bars but they really need to add that feature. mpg?

My Greatest Mistake
By Tom

2007 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

First I have to say that it saddens me horribly to write a poor review for this car. It was such an amazing car for the longest time. My commute is 148 miles everyday and my Optima handled the long daily drive like a champ until this last month. At 63,373 miles the engine failed. It seized just cruising down the highway and nearly caused me to crash into the center divider. After a nice little dance with Kia, they agreed to replace it. At 65,973, the transmission had to be replaced. Finally a Kia mechanic told me that the 07 models have some severe quality issues. He said that owners who do heavy driving, and have long commutes have had head gasket, engine and transmission problems.

Car was amazingly comfortable on long drives. Great handling, cruise control, a seemingly perfect car until things started to roll down hill. I sold the car to carmax and informed them of my problems. They didn't seem to care and they were happy the car had a new engine and transmission.

Admit your problems with the new automatic transmission. I would recommend avoiding this car at all costs unless you want to be stranded on the road. I wish I would have known about the quality problems before I bought it. Kia tech said 6 cylinder version is reliable and problem free. Avoid 4cyl!