Used 2007 Kia Optima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 77 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2007 Kia Optima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Absolutely no problems in 2.5 years
By grizjack

2007 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Why all the one's in the block of previous reviews? Looks suspicious to me. In my case there's been absolutely NOTHING negative in 2.5 years of ownership. Rock solid-- just like Consumer Reports says.

Interior upscale lighting.

Better drivers information-- no mpg rating, no tire pressure indicator.

Read This Review Before Purchasing
By ColoradoJack

2007 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car brand new with 7 miles on it. My 2007 Kia Optima has went through four different automatic transmissions. Kia will refuse to fix their defective car until you threaten legal action and then all the sudden they agree to pop in yet another transmission. My head gasket has blown twice and the car leaks oil and transmission fluid. I'm afraid to turn the car off sometimes because I seriously wonder if the thing will blow up the next time because it's so poorly made.

If the car ran for more than a four month period consecutively I might be able to actually like something about the car.

What is wrong with these automatic transmission? Mechanics at the Kia Dealership say the owners of 2007 and 2008 Optima model are always in the shop furious with the car and going through transmissions like crazy. They told me that the Kia Rio is a better built car than the Optima.

BEWARE!! Don't buy a Kia Optima
By Bev

2007 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We purchased our Kia Optima 12/26/07, big mistake, not to long after we started having trouble. Started out with the trunk opening up either going down the road or while it was parked. Hesitation driving between 40 & 55, then the lifters started making noise. Cruise control came on for no reason, & the list goes on. We took it to the dealer many times & they just told us that they couldn't duplicate the problem so nothing was wrong with it. We finally took it to a certified mechanic & found the problem in a couple of hours, that the service department where we bought the car didn't/wouldn't find. Resale value is in the dump. It's not worth the money.

Only thing good about it that it has good high beam headlights for night driving

Should scrap the car.

Piece of garbage
By Lane

2007 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have owned seven cars in my life and my Kia Optima is by far the worst car I have ever owned. I am on my third automatic transmission. Looking at the other reviews my engine will likely die soon. Please avoid this car, it's awful. Hyundai told me I did not service the vehicle at the dealership and they refused to replace the transmission the third time. I was on the hook for a rebuilt tranny which was over $2,500.

Nothing. This car is pure junk. It has left me stranded five different times. 1. Starter died. 2. Transmission died. 3. Head gasket 4. Another starter died. 5. Transmission died

I just want my money back. I am going to trade this in and get a used Honda Civic with high miles.

Watch out for this one - SERIOUSLY
By Bev

2007 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We purchased our Kia Optima LX with only 11 miles on it. Not very much longer we started having trouble with the trunk coming open either driving down the road or sitting still, then we started having trouble with hesitation between 40 & 50 mph. It just seem like it was one thing after another along with the cruise control coming on by itself & air-bag wasn't working, lifter rattling, burning smell after the engine was shut off. Took it to the dealer many, many times & they said that they couldn't duplicate the problem so there was noting wrong with it. Kia said that they would not replace anything on the car, but they replaced the BCM without asking us & it still didn't help.

Bright headlights for driving in the dark.

Back seats stiff as a board, better gas milage, better exterior design by the back door, it stick out so it gets rock chips.