2019 Kia Optima Hybrid Review
Pros & Cons
- Quiet interior around town and on the highway
- Available 60/40-split rear seats increase the cargo area
- Plenty of available safety and luxury features
- Some rival hybrid sedans get better fuel economy
- The sloping roofline limits rear headroom
List Price Estimate
$18,649 - $21,246
Used Optima Hybrid for SaleSee all for sale
Which Optima Hybrid does Edmunds recommend?
With only one trim level available, it's got to be the EX. But we like all the extra features that come as part of the Technology package — the one and only option package available. Even with these extra luxury and technology items added, including a powerful 10-speaker stereo, a panoramic sunroof and ventilated front seats, the Optima Hybrid is still competitively priced.
Edmunds' Expert Review
Though we haven't driven the Optima Hybrid yet, we have tested the mechanically related Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. We expect the Optima will pull away smoothly from a stop thanks to its initial electric-only power. But outright performance and handling are likely to be a bit disappointing.
The regular Optima sedan delivers a smooth ride on all kinds of pavement, and the cabin is quiet at highway speeds. We're not as thrilled with the seats, though.
The Optima's interior, regardless of model or trim, isn't especially exciting visually. That said, it serves its functions well. The feature set makes you feel as if you're getting a lot more for your money, although the quality of materials feels a bit mediocre.
With 13.4 cubic feet of storage, trunk space is slightly less than the class average for a midsize hybrid sedan. It gains extra points for 60/40-split rear seats, though the opening is on the small side. Inside, there's plenty of space for personal items in the many bins and pockets.
Kudos to Kia for an easy-to-use infotainment system with high-quality graphics and plenty of redundant physical buttons so you don't get lost in menus. Standard Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are appreciated.
Features & Specs
Our experts like the Optima Hybrid models:
- Blind-Spot Detection System
- Illuminates a light on either of the Optima's side mirrors when a vehicle enters its blind spot.
- Autonomous Emergency Braking
- Sounds a warning if the Optima detects an imminent front collision. The brakes automatically engage to avoid or lessen an impact.
- Rear Cross-Traffic Alert
- Sounds a warning if a vehicle is approaching the Optima from the side while it is in reverse.