Used 2011 Kia Forte Sedan Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Kia Forte Sedan

View reviews for a specific Forte model:

Kia has many flaws
By brian707

2011 Kia Forte Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my Forte EX 2011 new.
I am disappointed with the gas mileage I've obtained which for an entire tank remains averages between 20-25 mpg with about 60% city and 40% hwy driving.
Yet the worst features are the audio unit and the customer service (both corporate and local).
My audio unit will randomly start whistling loudly, will turn itself off, bluetooth turns on and makes settings changes without prompting, the CD device fails, and all of these issue repeated after KIA replaced my audio unit with a brand new one.
These glitches occur a few times a week while I'm driving.
I've had complaints with KIA that have not been resolved for the past 4 months.
I feel ignored by KIA.

The Forte EX has a nice design and sufficient power under the hood. The seats are comfortable and the dash is relatively visually appealing.

The audio unit is poorly designed. It requires a $70 additional cable to use the USB function with an iPod device and even with the KIA made USB it is not compatible with most functions of the Apple iPods or iPhones. Audio unit has many glitches which need KIA service does not seem to understand nor are able to fix. The gas mileage performs below their advertised EPA estimate. Customer service does a poor job of following up with customers and resolving problems (I often get stuck with leaving voicemails and my calls are rarely returned within a month long period). KIA has not stood behind their products or fixed the issues I've had with my 2011 Forte EX even with "platinum warranty".

steer clear from Kia, Silver Spring Kia and the King automotive group
By planedoc42

2011 Kia Forte Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

In April 2011 I bought Kia Forte. since i drove off the dealers lot the car seemed sluggish like there's a brake or gear is stuck on. Within two weeks after i bought the car i asked the Kia service station to look at the car and that's when a employee at Kia service stated that the catalytic converter could be clogged or not functioning properly. (I think Kia hide him because I never saw him again).

Since than my check engine light which i actually thought wouldn't even come on if came on as I was on the beltway coming from my office at Andrews going 60 mph it did come on and the engine automatically slowed down which concerned me because this could have caused an accident during rush hour. A day after the check engine light came on i brought it into the Kia service station and Kia said we reset the light and we do know it was a misfire code but we don't know why or if it will happen again.
For a new car this scares me. 6 days later i started my car and began to drive and AGAIN
i noticed the check engine light stayed on but went off in 47 seconds
Again for a new car this scares me and represents a safety issue and for Kia to disregard safety complaints from customers is disgraceful.

The dealer Silver Spring Kia was great UNTIL i bought the car I actually brought the car back 3 days later and told the sales Mgr Laura Jerlet the i had a problem with the car and what i can do now to get trade it or get a refund (again this was after 3 three days) she said "once you buy a Kia your screwed" the dealership GM Betty ann Mendelsohn Aschenbach a the part of the KING AUTO group should be steered away from at all costs, the customer service after you buy the car is awful.

So far I spent at least $1000.00 on this car due to something wrong with the engine operation that can be causing the bad fuel economy and the check engine light to come on and slow down in beltway traffic. (it happened 3 times since i bought the car 9 Mounts)

Under the Md State Lemon Law I Asked Kia to Re-purchase or at least help me get into a car that doesn't have issues. The BBB arbitrator actually stated at the arbitration hearing before the hearing started "Kia doesn't want to do anything to assist you anyway."
I did explain the issues to the Arbertrater (Harold Cohen) and the person from Kia Ted Renfrow explain his side (he lied and covered up issues about the vacuum system and the safety issues i explained

To be safe Customers that are looking to buy a new or used car must stay away from Silver Spring Kia. and Kia all together. Kia is a very poorly made very cheaply built car and at highway speeds the car is very unsafe and the Kia corporation that covers up safety issues and lies to customers are best just kept away from.

dont feel cufortable in the car

Scrap car peace of junk

Luv my kia's
By 04spectre

2011 Kia Forte Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Traded in our '04 Optima EX V-6 @ 133,000 for our Forte.
The Optima was a great car.
Only had to replace the starter.
Absolutely luv the forte.
Spirited 2.0L, great 6sp auto.
Outstanding gas mileage, on a trip from Jax, Fl to Philly it avg over 40 mpg during 1 tank run, i.e. 403 miles and only took 9.7 gal to fill.
Averaged 37-38 mpg on the trip.
A definite gas saver over the 2.7L Optima.
I am 6'1", 256#, a little cramped but otherwise REALLY like this car.
Started out with a 2001 Sephia, bought '02 Optima EX V-6 for Mama, Traded both cars in on the same day in Dec '03 for an '04 Spectra and the '04 Optima.
Still have the Spectra @ over 103,000 miles.

Gas mileage, Blue Tooth, Sirius [for long trips], comfortable for my wife and she says it rides well! Spirited acceleration with the 6sp auto. Much more aggresive over the old 4sp auto.

Maybe more padding on the seats for us BIG guys [although I could stand to lose quite a few #'s. A larger gas tank for longer legs while traveling [maybe a 16 gal tank = over 600 mi per tank] 16 X 37 mpg = 608 mi!

Kia Forte SX
By rgebbia

2011 Kia Forte Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Have had this car since July. Have 7300 miles. Car is loaded with Nav, sunroof, leather, Sirius radio,
rear camera, etc...It's comfortable inside, good drive on the highway, handling isn't bad but the Jetta I also tested didn't handle any better surprisingly. It has great acceleration for a 4-cylinder, non-turbo and the 2.5 engine is what makes the difference. My only complaints so far are the suspension and the gas mileage. I do mostly highway driving and am only getting 26 - 28 mpg. Also, I feel every bump, big or small in this car. Great value for the money and will be a good car to hand down to the kids but not sure I would purchase another.

Nav, sunroof

Improve suspension

Good value, roomy for its class, lacks great handling
By turgon

2011 Kia Forte Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I traded in my 8 year old Pontiac Vibe for the Forte EX (ECO), which I use as a long-distance commuter car. I purchased the Forte on price and decent reviews after test driving some of the competition in this class.
I am happy with the acceleration, comfort, interior space, and styling of the vehicle.
Combined gas mileage thus far through the first 2k miles has averaged in the low 30s mpg in my commute of mixed highway and city driving, which is virtually identical to my former Vibe and acceptable to me as the Forte ECO is rated 37/27.
Steering still feels a bit uncertain to me and handling on windy roads does not compare to my former Vibe, which I did not notice in my initial test drive.

Space (best that I experienced in this class and suitable for the car seat in the rear seat), comfort, and generous standard features

More confident steering and centering of steering wheel, does not stick to the pavement in "fun" driving on curvy roads as well as a vehicle in this class should