Used 2011 Kia Forte Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Kia Forte Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Forte model:

An car for people who have never driven a honda
By bytes220

2011 Kia Forte Hatchback SX 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My car is a Kia forte SX hatchback.
First let me start off by saying that if you're considering this car, Only buy it if you can get it with the six speed manual. The 2.4liter engine is completely unsuited for the 6 speed automatic. All the shift points are wrong meaning that you end up with a car that is 1.5 seconds slower to 60 than the manual and sucks gas like there's no tomorrow.

My previous car was a 2004 Honda Accord EX-L with a manual 5 speed transmission. This car had an engine that had less horsepower and torque than the Kia and was quite a bit heavier and larger but it was substantially quicker and got 35% better gas mileage than the Kia.

The Honda also handled better.

Bluetooth, and MP3 connectivity. Fold flat rear seats

Where do I start? BRING BACK THE MANUAL TRANSMISSION - the car sucks without it. START USING SOME OF HYUNDAI'S NEW ENGINES - you know the ones that are supposed to do better then 20 mpg in mixed driving and don't scream every time you ask for a little bit of power. Use auto transmissions that are actually properly mated to the engines so as not to down and up shift at all the wrong times. Put seats in that don't hurt your back after 40min in the drivers seat

Outstanding Value - Fun To Drive - Safety No. One
By btatr

2011 Kia Forte Hatchback SX 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Our priorities ar safety, comfort, fuel efficiency, and the fun to drive quality. We bought a KIA 5 Door SX and love it! We think it's tons of fun to and the price was very reasonable. If that isn't enough, the warranty is fantastic.

The Forte has a vast array of safety features such as Traction Control, Electronic Stability Control, Electronic Brake Force Distribution, etc.
The silky smooth, powerful 2.4 Liter Engine in the SX model packs plenty of power and is far superior to the 2.0 Liter version in the EX model.

Every day we can't wait to drive this car. Compare it with the 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback and see which one you prefer.

Powerful, smooth 2.4 Liter Engine in the SX Model. Lots of storage room. It is 19.2 cu feet with the rear seats up and much larger with them folded flat. A wide array of safety features that bring peace of mind. It had every safety component we wanted in a family car. The SX Hatchback looks fantastic! The 6 speaker sound system and Sirrius-XM radio is a winner. It has very good but not great fuel economy. The outstanding 5 year 60,000 mile bumper to bumper and 10 year 100,000 mile power train warranties sealed the deal.

1. Add an interior hatchback release. 2. Replace the Goodyear Tires with Michelins.

first 500 miles
By walt35

2011 Kia Forte Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I traded my three year old PT Cruiser... which I would have kept if it had not gotten such awful fuel enonomy..
So I wanted another hatch back.

The seating position of the Forte is like a race car .. I have to get used to that and the smaller wheel.. but handling is precise and very fun.. The Korean tires are made with nylon rather than polyester which I think causes too firm a ride at times.. They otherwise handle just fine..

I had to pay a guy to put on painted body side mouldings.. KIA does not offer factory body side mouldings..
that was a small pain ... first tank of gas with mixed driving was 27.. that's good...

Overall quite happy so far.

6 speed auto with manual shift capability.

Make mileage computer standard on all models.. Change the top gear shift program so it does not go into 6th gear at 40 mph.. causes the engine to labor.. Use a premium US made tire for a better ride.. Manual inside hatch release would be nice.. or push utton in the cabin.

2011 Forte review
By txriverrat

2011 Kia Forte Hatchback SX 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We went into the Kia dealership to purchase a Kia !Soul for my husband and walked out with two cars, a !Soul and a Forte. I was happy to trade in a Mazda3 that never lived up to my expectations.
The Forte is my perfect car - it's fun to drive, lots of pep!, stylish, and bluetooth is awesome.
I plan to drive this car a very long time.

The gas mileage isn't as good as I thought but on the other hand, I drive in city stop and go traffic, 15 miles to work and I'm happy with 23 mpg.

Don't change a thing about this car - Kia Forte is a homerun!

can't pick just one favorite

Forte SX hatch vs. Mazda 3 or Elantra Touring
By rb7385899

2011 Kia Forte Hatchback SX 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We already have an 09 elantra touring.
The Kia is a step up (173 hp, 6 speed auto) and better styled.
We cross shopped it against the Mazda 3 (too little rear seat room) and Subaru Forrester (noisy, handles worse).
After about 1,000 miles i'm pretty satisifed with the Kia.
Returning about 26 mpg on my commute, and is fully loaded (leather, sunroof, power everything for $21K and change).
Much peppier than the elantra, which I still love anyway.

Likes - space, mpg, acceleration, styling, quiet, value/price. mine is some sort of metallic red paint, black leather with red piping. sharp looking.

how much would an oil gauge have cost? rear seat cupholders? the steering wheel shift paddles are weirdly placed, but the console shifter can up and downshift manually quite naturally.