Used 2008 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews - 170 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Jeep Wrangler

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

08 HardTop Water Leaks
By OIIIIO

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

We own a 2008 Unlimited X 4-door. Since day 1 we've come across a mayor issue with water leaks coming from the hard top and deposits on the driver side floor causing a bad smell. Dealer did a test and the warranty part number 68004562-ac is on a "nationwide backorder" not available for anyone. Mean while our Jeep keeps getting deteriorated as a cause of the part not being available to any customers anywhere on the entire USA and Puerto Rico. No one can tell us when will the parts be available. Mean while, we might have to invest $1,600 on a soft top to avoid having continuous water leaks which can rotten and rust our floor panel. What a shame JEEP... not a good experience for us.

Love the traction and how the Jeep handles going up mountains and muddy roads. We feel pretty safe driving the Jeep to just about anywhere.

Jeep needs to improve on water leak problems on the 4 door hard top units.

Wrangler Right Hand Drive
By 08WranglerRHD

2008 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my Jeep new in September of 2007 to replace my 98' right hand drive Cherokee. I owned the Jeep less than two months when the first problem occurred. The removable roof panel on the right side developed a leak. The warranty covered the repair. The next problem wasn't until February of 09' at 38k miles,out of my warranty period, the horn stopped working. I had the repair made in September of 2009 at 52k miles when the airbag light came on. I called Chrysler and filed a complaint once I found it to be a faulty clockspring inside the steering column, they covered my repair due to safety concerns. The last problem occurred in December of 09' at 60k when the water pump went out.

Right hand drive! Stability/Traction control, 4x4, cold A/C

Fix starting issue and improve anti-lock braking system to be less sensitive. It would be nice to add a few more horses to the underpowered 3.8.

disappointed
By rob

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this 2008 used with 13k miles. I have had an issue with a leaky soft top since I bought it. Taken it to the dealer 3x's to fix it and every time it rains, the floor boards in the back are soaked. Had to replace one of the tie rides already. Transmission line is leaking. Death wobble happens all the time, dealer can't fix it. The vehicle lacks power, should have stuck with the 4.0. Factory stereo is horrible with the top off. I used to have a 79 CJ7 witch was a mistake to get rid of. I think I will be trading the 2008 in for some sort of SUV and maybe buy an older jeep again. Jeep needs to get back to thier roots.

With the top off the jeep is very fun to drive.

Go back to the 4.0 motor. Fix the death wobble issue before some one gets killed! Have the upgraded stereo in all the models. Have a longer warranty (50k would be better)

REALLY WANTED TO LIKE IT BUT..
By Anthony

2008 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Bought the Jeep thinking it would be a tough, fun, dependable vehicle. It turned out anything but. Many problems, several of which the dealer won't warranty. Shakes and gets "death wobble" over bumps which is very scary and makes the vehicle undriveable. I really wanted to like this vehicle but the build quality is just too poor. On the plus side the top and doors come off, but the fun is defeated by the poor build and scary ride.

Removable top/doors, rugged looks, 4WD

Fix death wobble and steering issues, fix build quality and better parts.

A car you have to own... for two years
By CEOofTNFYA

2008 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

This iconic vehicle is the most fun you can have driving under 20mph. The design will never get old and the amount of bad weather confidence you gain by getting behind the wheel of this beast is unmatched. The deeper the snow the more I wanted to go out. I think it drives better in the deep stuff than on a clear road. That is also the problem. It is incredibly loud at highway speed, the hood will lift up and slam down in the wind, and it needs constant input to keep in a straight line. This is the least practical vehicle on the road but one you simply have to own at some point in your life. Left me stranded at 2500 miles due to faulty fuel gauge, took 11 days to fix. No confidence in brand

The 4x4 paired with traction control, visibility, ground clearance, all weather tires (even without the upgraded all terrain tires), sirius radio and upgraded stereo

People don't mention this stuff but... Front seats don't stay pushed forward when entering the back even on a slight incline, doors don't hold open and just close on you. It's not a practical vehicle but these little things can't be blamed in it being "rugged"