Used 2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV Consumer Reviews - 170 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Only for the 1st 10-20,0000 miles
By Bronze8020

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited X 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Less than 30,0000 miles - I expected better. Rear caliper froze up destroyed rotor at 20,000 miles - Caliper under warranty - rotor not even though the warranty part destroyed it. Now at almost 30,000 miles it inexplicably bucks violently and uncontrollably once in a while when I let off the gas. Scary experience at 55 mph in traffic - won't stop till you get off the road and shut the car off. No trouble found at dealership. My advice? Don't buy one !

None now - hate the thing

Let's just start with quality. It used to be you could count on a jeep - not any more.

Don't buy
By erik

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited X 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Bought new in 2008. Gets me cool points ( I was driving a Ford escape.) lets me go anywhere off road and in bad conditions ice, high water etc. I like the stereo. Overall though the driving comfort the underpowered engine the "death wobble" the leaks the poor storage room inside make this vehicle one I will never buy again. What is wrong with Jeep? Why would they make such a large vehicle so underpowered? Who ever designed it should be fired along with the jerks who okayed the design, along with me for being stupid enough to buy it. It looks great when you first start looking but after a few months of driving you find out its a very bad choice

Stereo, 4x4

Interior no room to store items. Drives terrible FIX DEATH WOBBLE! water pump went out at 20K miles. Need more power terrible acceleration. Had a terrible time just going up small hills on the highway with a head wind going to Sante Fe NM. Terrible wipers and water leaks in bigtime. DON'T BUY.

No Longer Admiring From Afar
By slobberdog68

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited Sahara 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I have wanted this since it came out. I got it Saturday 2008 Sahara in Black- 18K miles on it! I love it. When I go over any bump-big or small something on the drivers side door or backdoor area rattles-almost like the door is not shut all the way. I have checked everything and cannot find anything loose. My husband says it's a Jeep-what do you expect? I test drove the 2010 Islander before I bought this last week and there wasn't a rattle to be found. If it's just a Jeep thing then find but I want to take it in while it's still under bumper/bumper. Otherwise I love it!

Everything! I stare @ it all day out my window while I work.

NOT STOCK!
By DK

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

My jeep is highly modified i.e.-motor performance bolt-ons, bumpers, tires(37"tall), 4' lift, 5.13 gears, dual steering stabilizers, etc. I love off roading it and all the looks I get driving on the street. Big fun in a small package. However I have many other rigs to drive on a daily basis better suited to my needs depending on what I am doing. This jeep is for fun only! It is not the best only rig to have.

AC, soft top, best off road capabilities even stock, awesome stereo/sat radio option.

More motor options! more factory up grade capabilities to customize for off roading etc.

Death Wobble
By pditty

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited X 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I love the vehicle for top off cruising great gas mileage (23 on the highway) but the wobble happened when crossing railroad tracks it was very violent at 30 mph. hitting the brakes stopped the wobble and everything returned to normal. tires have been balanced and rotated every 5000 mi. dealer will be looking into problem this week. I consider this vehicle to be very dangerous to drive in it's present condition.

convertible/ hard top