Used 2008 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews - 170 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Jeep Wrangler

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Deep Money Pit
By chezeppelin

2008 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

i had my 08 wrangler x for four years. in those four years my emergency break broke ( right after the warranty expired of course), i had a leaky rear differential, there was a recall on the fuel tank because sometimes while filling up the gas would over flow and spill, and last but not least, my steering gear box went out. the steering gear box was a 700 dollar fix, too much if you ask me from a 4 year old vehicle. the steering gear box started going out relatively quickly, but the dealer refused to fix it because it technically still worked, when it finally went out around the 80k mile mark, i was in for a costly repair. the jk was loud on the highway, no room, rough, and a guzzler.

do not lift your jk if you have one! if you want an off road toy, or even a "mall crawler" get an older tj, you'll be better off.

Very disappointing
By cameronghanson

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I had sold my 2007 Range Rover to get something "American Made".
Unfortunately, all my fears about doing this were realized.
Within weeks of getting the Jeep, I found my car in the dealer almost on a weekly basis.
One part, the parking brake, failed 4 times.
This car is fine for what it is built for...off roading in extreme conditions.
Its amazing to me that this car is STILL 2 wheel drive, which the majority of the time, is extremely inconvenient.
If in 4wheel drive, it has considerable power hop when turning, can't exceed more 55mph.
Very disappointing car.

This is a little late
By vak1

2008 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I have been driving Jeeps since 1976 and my loyalty to this company is over. At 45,000 mile the problems on this Jeep are too numerous to mention. I hope that people who read this and other reviews will seriously take heed before purchasing a Wrangler.

None

To Chrysler, Talk to the consumer before you put something out on the market.

Its a Jeep
By lock3056

2008 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Bought a 2008 when it was new, I've had it 3 years and have no complaints yet. I think people seem to be confused about what under powered is. Its not a power thing its a gear ratio thing, I have a 6 speed Manual, its a Torque monster. While it may not run 12's in the Quarter mile it will pull a stump out of the ground. Love the Hard top, It is Quieter than our 2008 Cadillac CTS on and off the freeway. Great Family Vehicle. If acceleration is an Issue you can purchase a Bully dog tuner/gauge it makes a world of difference.

Simple, Easy to repair, and the Freedom top is Awesome!

Hood latches could be a little stronger but there is a safety latch preventing it from flying up if they do fail...

Jeep Is Junk - 2008 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4x4 (automatic)
By gumby1995

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Bought 2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited new in 2008.
Noticed right away absolutely no power during normal acceleration, to point of being dangerous. Had one incident where gas pedal stuck on hill on windy backroad.
Was able to unstick pedal and break before losing control of jeep. At time thought maybe floor mat had gotten stuck, after reading reviews online, not so sure.
At 40,000 miles dealer telling me power steering leaking
- cost - over $1,000! Advised me during driving I could lose control and cause major accident.
Sounds like death shudder others commented on in reviews.
Also burning oil like crazy at 40,000 miles, dealer told me well, thats just normal for a jeep!

Pros - Body style, Handling in snow and ice, interior design - except for seats, they are terrible - I know, it's a jeep and a rough ride is part of experience, but this new four door design is attracting people wanting a jeep that is also practical with some comforts. Drove this to New Orleans, never again. Front seats were bad enough but back seat passenger was miserable. I have owned several SUV's and trucks so I have some experience to make comparisons. This is not a vehicle for anyone who can't afford alot of expensive repair costs, poor gas mileage, travels, or wants a comfortable ride (even on daily commute!).

1. GAS MILEAGE!!!!! Besides scary defects, one of main reasons we are getting rid of it. I know - I knew this when I bought it, but not worth it when combined with all the mechanical problems. 2. Do recalls on the power steering leak problem (described in review portion). 3. Acceleration - no 6 cylinder vehicle in 2010 should have this poor performance, nothing wrong with vehicle I had it checked - told its just one of the drawbacks. 4. My cousin bought one before me in 2008, she has replaced the gas tank, had both front and rear differentials go out, and had same power steering leak with less than 40,000 miles on it! (We are both female driver and no off roading).