Used 2008 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews - 170 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Jeep Wrangler

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Never will buy a Jeep again
By Tammy

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I have contemplated on buying a jeep for many months since I have a 5 mth old and I'm a huge chevy girl. Since I live in Michigan we get alot of snow where I am. I heard a jeep is the way to go. I test drove unlimted and rubicons 4 dr brands cuz that's the style I liked narrowed it down to a sahara unlimited since the rubicon felt like it bounced around way too much. I seen one at a dealership test drove it quickly because they were closing in an hr. I bought it that night drove it next morning to work it shook so bad end up needing a right caliper, brakes and rotors. They fixed for free but I don't trust it at all still feels like it bounces all over the place god forbid if i hit a small bump in the road and i get scared if i go faster then 60 in it so no highway driving for me. Cannot wait to pay this piece of crap off and buy me a chevy product.

Love it
By Dave

2008 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

My 2008 x i bought used with 56k
Im up to 66k now and i had a few very minor problems but i love it
Lord willing i plan on driving hr until she dies
I take very good care of her kee her clean all her fluids up to level oil changes before recommended change
Like anything else if you take care of it it will last. I drive no higher then 70 on the highway but its usually 60-65. I accelerate at a reasonable pace. I plan on gettingg a little commuter car so i can make this jeep last
I absolutely love it

Total piece of junk!
By coggin

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

This car is great in the snow, and that is about it. Also, I learned a great deal about working on cars while living with this piece of crap. At 30k the clutch went out. I have had manual for 30 years and this is my first clutch repair. Gas tank spews out gas if you try to fill it. Death wobble at 35k due to a "broken" steering stabilizer. Front hood latches allow hood to shake whenever trucks go by. Rear gate latches went at 60k. Coolant leak water pump replacement at 50k. Tow package was defective and replaced because of a recall. Acceleration is on par with my 1981 VW Vanagon. Headlights are really poor and the brights don't blind anyone. Torx bits are a bit problematic. Dash rattles and squeaks constantly. The antenna whips the windshield when trucks go by or if there is a big wind or brush. The tires that came with the jeep, were done by 35k and were crap when new. Burns plenty of oil. Hard top retains water and sloshes about.

Used ex-BLM Rubicon
By timbob55

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my Rubicon two years ago with 50k miles. I've since put 49k miles on it.
I found a couple receipts in the glove box that indicated it was owned by BLM. If I'd know that ahead of time I may not have purchased. but I'm glad I did.

In the two years of heavy use I have owned it there has been no reliability issues.

Performance: The 3.8 is a dog! Maybe it's better with a manual tranny.
Comfort: This is the Cadillac of Wrangers. Very comfortable, car like ride.
Value: expensive, but well equipped.
Fun to drive: If it had more torque it would be great.
Interior design: Its a Jeep
Exterior design: I like the removeable fenders.
Build qualilty: Its a Jeep
Reliability: Great

Front and rear lockers. Electronic disconned sway bar.

The newer ones, 2011+ I think, have the 3.6l engine which is much more fun to drive, so that takes care of the lack of torque.

Waa waa waa!
By ranchez

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I've had my 2008 Jeep since it was new and love it. I see a lot of complaints here about comfort, noise, ride and acceleration. All I can say is that maybe they thought they were buying an Escalade. You don't buy a Wrangler for luxury, zero-road-noise, or racing from the light. You buy it to take on any off-road terrain you throw at it and crawl through the ick that would sink an Escalade to its axles. You also buy it to pull out the idiots who buy the other "SUVs" and try to drive them like a Jeep. Maybe you should sell your Jeep to someone who knows what it is and go buy a quiet, squishy little soccer-parent wagon.

Open air driving. Growly, low gear, super-crawler performance. Superb gear-hauling capacity. No-frills basic do-it-all capabilities. increased self-esteem from NOT driving an SUV wanna-be.

More care taken in screening buyers?