Used 2008 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews - 170 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Jeep Wrangler

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Water Leaks But Otherwise a Good Vehicle
By Bayrat

2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I love Jeeps, have owned them for years and find this one to be much "better" or more well rounded than previous models. The power of the V6 is barely adequate but with the stick it does OK. Not sure how one would do with less than the 4.11 gears in mine. Fit and finish is good, the paint is flawless. The seats are comfortable for my bad back, large enough to use my portable lumbar support. It rides better than previous models and handles well too, given it is built primarily for an off-road vehicle. Soccer moms, forget it, you would not find the rough ride is a good replacement for your Lincoln Navigator. The only problem I have had and continue to have is hardtop leaks.

I love the Wrangler, instant convertible or hardtop. This vehicle is rugged, none better if you like this type of rig. It handles well for what it is too. I am impressed by the traction control, hardly every use four wheel drive on the road since it is so good in rear wheel drive.

Could use a better top seal system to prevent water leaks. Suggest going back to the one-piece hardtop. Definitely needs a small V8, a HEMI conversion is 20K! Customer service could be better, the consumer line in India is a bit much. Still, despite its pitfalls, I love my Wrangler.

Likin' it
By azrljones

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Always wanted a Jeep but need an everyday drive vehicle. This feels the order now, rides smooth and low noise. Averaging around 20 MPG. I have the freedom hard top and was in the rain once (AZ) and car washes with no leaks. I was out this weekend and drove 1300 + miles and was very comfortable. Offroad capabilities speak for itself. I did some things that we held out breath. On the trip I drove over a mountain pass with over a foot of snow on the road and I didn't use/need four wheel drive. I love my Jeep.

Solid feel. Smooth ride with great turning circle. Freedom top, infinity sound system.

I like it maybe more engine power but it is a utility vehicle.

My first Jeep!
By Asartain29

2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I have wanted a Wrangler for a long time, and I finally purchased one in Feb. 2008. It is a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2DR, steel blue metallic in color, BF Goodrich Mud Tires, Infinity sound system, satellite radio, wanted manual transmission but went with automatic. I have owned my jeep for almost a year and I love it. Have had no problems, and it is off-road all the time. It is a beast off-road, and is impossible to get stuck. I have went up inclines that would make most people urinate on themselves, and she has never once slipped. I have only had to use 4low twice. I am going to drive my jeep until the wheels fall off. I love having the top down, and the doors off. Buy One

Sound system, handling on and off- road, the way she will go through and over anything, Mud tires that come standard on Rubicons, more quite than jeeps of the past, really my favorite features are everything about it.

My on complaint is, like most other people, gas mileage.

Enjoying the Jeep
By BTM449

2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

This was the first American car purchased in the last 20 year. Along with the Jeep, I own an 08 Acura MDX, 04 BMW 3-Series convertible, and an 06 BMW 5-Series. The Jeep is exactly what I expected; the complete opposite of these vehicles. It drives like a truck and has minimal luxury features. You either love it or hate it... And after the first extreme snow storm here in New England, I love it. The Jeep does exactly what it is supposed to do. The 4-wheel-drive plows though and makes you feel quite safe even though you do not have a lot surrounding you. There is not a lot of power, cannot accelerate quickly, but you can get yourself unstuck. Excellent quality and value (so far). BUY JEEP

Definitely opt for the power options (remote key-less entry, power windows). The sound system is also decent and has a pretty good sized sub woofer in the back. Sahara Pkg.-- The different suspension makes it smoother on road.

Move the power window buttons... They are awkwardly placed in the center console. More power! Power soft top would be pretty cool.

So far, so good
By CCJ

2008 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

My third Wrangler. This one is best by leaps and bounds. Power is adequate for highway use, but another 40 hp would be welcome. Handling is much better than earlier iterations. I bought an X with the 24S option package. Adding the Limited Slip rear axle, rock rails, extra skid plates and the Freedom Top. To date, I've had no issues of consequence. A minor, but annoying rattle in the driver's side. A pillar was traced to an over-tightened screw in the plastic trim that stripped out the plastic. Going up one size fixed that. A minor rain leak between the halves of the top was corrected by cleaning the sealing area and silicon treating the seals. 18/25 mileage so far. I love this beast.

No other vehicle offers as much customization and after-market hardware. It's easy and inexpensive to personalize or configure for insane off-road adventures. You can leave it absolutely stock and know that you still own one of the most capable factory built off-road vehicles on the market.

More power. Improve the hard top design (too many reports of leaks). Add a front skid plate to protect the steering damper and sway bar disco electronics. A Dana 44 front axle should be optional on the X model. Hood hold down rubbers: they get weak with age and the hood can flutter at speed.