Used 2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV Consumer Reviews - 170 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Exactly what I expected, FUN
By NordTexan

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited Sahara 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Although I have only had it a couple of weeks, I am fully pleased with the Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. I left behind a Cadillac CTS at the dealer and really haven't looked back. The Jeep's ride is not as bad as some say. You should know what your getting, but I was actually pretty surprised by how comfortable it is. Power and mpg suck, but I am going to address that with the savings on payment and insurance costs by adding a cold-air intake, exhaust and flash-programmer. From the documented dyno results, I don't think I will have any complaints going forward. Final word: practical, 4 door convertible. The REAL "ultimate tanning machine!"

4 door convertible

More power!

jeepers creepers
By bob

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned 4 jeeps similar to this one. The jk has the smoothest ride so far. All the nice things in the "S" package are great. I was really shocked about the drips and wind noise- -the worst ever. But my local jeep dealer in Clarion, PA fixed the problems.

Power steering--yeah my other jeep did not have it.

Back seat entry---what were they thinking---maybe people from another planet.

Driving is Fun Again!
By Cheadlem

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I've only had the Jeep about a month but I am extremely pleased with this purchase. I've had numerous compliments on the color (Red Oyster) and the style (Sahara 2D) and have taken the top off and on multiple times as the rain dictates. It is easy and comfortable to drive in the city and on the highway. The sound system is fantastic and it gets better than expected mileage (~16 city/21 Hwy). It is extremely maneuverable and I can park it right beside my '03 Suburban in my garage and open both doors. I wouldn't have gone for the satellite radio or navigation system but they came with it and now I wouldn't want to do without them. I'm a Jeep man now.

The overall package is tremendous. In no particular order I like: the three top options, the high vantage point in traffic, the myGig system, the seat support and adjustability, the rear storage compartment, being part of the Jeep family...

The engineers have put so much into a small rugged package but: the door latches manage to catch passengers on exit & seatbelts flap in the wind. Another small gripe is the limited access to rear seats make it hard for 2-legged and 4-legged creatures to enter. A stock locking gas cap would be nice.

Long term fun
By jimj

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited X 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I have had 2 Jeep Cherokees, but didnt realize I never had a real Jeep till I bought this. I got the limited slip rear axle, and rarely had to use 4wd through a fairly tough Illinois winter. Have had no problems thru 33,000 miles, get 20 mpg, hauled my 21' boat to Canada, my camper to Oklahoma, and many business trips. My only complaint is that whenever I take the freedom top and doors off, the Jeep disappears (my wife takes it!) If I had to do it over, I would have gotten the power windows and locks, but other than that, I have no complaints. The 4 door model is practical for families, and it is just so much fun in both the winter and in summer, with the top and doors off, it rocks>

Feeling of confidence in winter conditions, summer with the roof and doors off it's like having a dune buggy. Can strap a canoe or kayak across the roll bars with the top off.

I agree with most that it needs more power, it pulls a trailer pretty well, but certain parts of the RPM band it just doesn't have anything and leaves you trying different gears to get it going again. Could use a roof rack option on the Freedom top to strap light cargo down.

By chez

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited Rubicon 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

This is the second Jeep I have owned. By far the best ride, but there are too many Plastic parts (i. e. the skid plate, grill, and door interior). I improved my mileage by 3 mpg and horsepower by 23 with after market products. Great off road performance. A joy to drive.