Used 2006 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews - 85 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Jeep Wrangler

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Winter Driving Must Have a Jeep
By DAC

2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

We are just finishing clean up after the storm that closed I-78 and schools for days. This Rubicon Unlimited just paid for itself. It drove us safely through and over the ice covered snow on roads that were a nightmare. The 4 wheel high was enough...no need for low gear or the lockers. We were able to go to work, help neighbors, and keep going when the rest of the area was shut down. This jeep just proved why we need one. It provided safety and security in bad weather to equal the fun and enjoyment in good weather. Now when people ask why we need an SUV, we simply refer to the storm of 2007...enough said.

GREAT in the snow and winter weather. Unbeatable with the top down. So much fun.

Gas mileage is still bad but who cares when you are getting 13+ mpg in 4 wheel drive while others can't get out of their driveways. Still, better gas mileage wouldn't hurt say, 20 town, 25 highway would be great rather than the 15-16 local and 18-19 highway that we get. Keep the Jeep a Jeep!

Fun, Fun, Fun
By YellowRubi

2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This Unlimited Rubicon is so much fun to drive. It looks very sharp and it looks much better than the new '07' design. The best thing about this Jeep is it is a convertible. The soft top is super for the beach and summer driving. The hard top is best for winter. I took the Jeep 101 course offered through the dealership and it really showed me what my Jeep was capable of doing off-road. I feel very safe in this Jeep...much safer than in the standard wheel base model. The longer wheelbase "feels" safer on the highway and provides a better ride.

My favorite feature has to be the convertible top. Nothing beats riding with the soft top down. The whole atmosphere of fun associated with this Rubicon makes it a great vehicle. It is also very dependable.

Better gas mileage! The "06" manual 6-speed does not match the other 6 cylinder automatic transmission models for fuel economy. I expected the 20+ mpg that I got in my other 6 cylinder Wranglers but I haven't got close to this yet.

Good Plain Fun
By chunter

2006 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

It's just fun to have. My midlife crisis toy.

The 4wd of course, but also the classic Jeep styling.

Split folding rear seat.

Rubicon for the family
By YellowRubi

2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my 5th Jeep, 3rd Wrangler, and 2nd Rubicon. The Rubicon is such a great off-road and fun vacation vehicle that my family selected to upgrade for the space in this Unlimited model. The decrease in MPG in this model was disappointing (23mpg down to 18) however, the extra space has paid off for the 2 kids and dog. My wife loves it so much she took the Jeep 101 course through the dealer and local Jeep Club and now she loves it even more. She became familiar with "lockers". My 8 year old daughter plans to own this Jeep when she reaches 16. I can't blame her. Great Jeep. Great off road. Great for PA winters and traveling the mountains during hunting season. This Jeep is a keeper.

The styling is exceptional. We purchased the '06 since we didn't want the '07 body style. Off-roading is a MUST for this vehicle to truly appreciate this Jeep. Favorite feature = it's a convertible. Add the great stereo and your family is set for fun in the sun. Safety in bad weather is a given.

Better MPG. I understand it is an off-road vehicle but the technology is out there...use it. Seats are low and "blocks" make a huge difference and are highly recommended. Too late to keep the styling original but this can only make these Rubicon Unlimited models more desired by off-roaders.

why does it continually leak water
By steve

2006 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought the vehicle in August of '06 and now, in December, it has already been in the shop 4 times for a total of 32 days. Before I had purchased this vehicle I had wanted to own one for years. Now all I want to do is get rid of the headache. It's still not fixed and it does not seem that it ever will be. The dealership wants to keep trying to "fix" the issue, but it's never going to be done properly.

I have my own swimming pool on wheels.

Needs better seals and weatherproofing to ensure that you have to exit the vehicle before you need an umbrella.