Used 2005 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews - 124 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Jeep Wrangler

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

There's no better vehicle!
By JeepChic

2005 Jeep Wrangler X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my second Jeep and I love it as much if not more than the first one. Every time I get in it to go somewhere, I think wow ... I have a new Jeep. It doesn't get any better. For all the people who want power locks, windows, etc. It's a Wrangler ... it's not supposed to have all of that. This is the ultimate on/off road vehicle not a luxury car. Please buy a Liberty if you want all the "extra features."

EVERYTHING ... especially the way people look at you in traffic with the top down ... you can see the jealousy radiating from them!

Even being the Jeep lover I am, I do agree that the gas mileage is terrible. Try the CRD in the Wrangler.

Why didn't I buy one sooner?
By Jim

2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

My Wrangler Unlimited has brought my love of driving back. What other vehicle excites you enough to make you think about it all day at work? What other vehicle makes you feel like a kid again ... you know right after getting your first new bike when all you do is daydream about being on it? Here's my stress relief even with today's higher gas prices; hey, we all need a vice, right? Mine is spending money on gas but the fun it returns is well worth it! After work, top down, drive home with cool breeze and tunes flowing, dinner, get the kids and wife loaded in, drive the country back roads flying over bumps and raising dust to a small town ice cream shop. Drive home with stars above; kids asleep.

Open air riding brings smiles and giggles from my 7 and 4 year olds. Wife relaxed looking skyward. Riding high and big. Smooth turning, braking, and so solid over bumps. Extra length makes for confident highway driving and extra space makes it usable with family. Love Jeep Waves and strong engine!

Headrests for the rear bench seat passengers. Whip-lash would be bad for kids whose heads stick above the rear seat back. Parents, be sure to use booster seats with back that extends above your little one's heads for added protection just in case of a rear-ender. MPG & range is low but expected.

I can Tow I can Tow
By TOWBOAT

2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Great capability, took it up South Mountain my first weekend, absolutely awesome, drove a 1950 lumber road that was over grown and washed out. Second weekend towed my 17 foot Bowrider up into the mountain roads of Western MD; no problem, 65+ on most hills except the gap. Very steep; engine definitely was working and I heard it. Top down effect excellent with Bikini top; can get blown around a bit at 65, of course I am 6'3 and I sit higher than most. With bikini top not a problem. Got pulled over for having the doors off in West Virginia. You need mirrors in WV. I got a warning. Down hill with boat trailer wasn't as bad as I thought but it could be better.

Easy top removal if you drive around for a few weeks before attempting to remove. Comfortable seats. I'm not a big radio user but it does pump out the volume. I'm a news radio person and I can't really appreciate all the features. Best of all a real cooler and gear bags fit in the back.

For what I purchased this vehicle for I am happy; if it where a daily driver I'd have to say get a hard top. I bought both and hard top is the way to go if this is to be a daily driver. It's not that hard to remove and the bikini top is easy to put on for the days you want the top off.

I LOVE MY NEW JEEP
By Bikergal18

2005 Jeep Wrangler SE 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I have been wanting one forever, so I broke down and got a Wrangler. It is everything I wanted. Being a Honda person, it was a bit of a leap, but well worth it. We will see if long term reliability will be a problem. I went basic with the SE, but then a Jeep is not a luxury vehicle. Not great for lots of highway travel, but also not as bad as I expected. Luckily I have a short commute. Soft Top is a snap to get up and down, and perfect for Cape Cod in the summer! I went automatic, full metal doors, and A/C. Came standard with CD player and back seat. What more could you want? After all the snow last winter, I can't wait for the 4WD.

Soft Top is the greatest. Jeep wave! You certainly have joined a community when you buy a Jeep. I have always liked my Hondas, but I love the Yellow Wrangler.

Ok, so I could complain about gas mileage, but I knew that going in. Other than that, it is perfect.

Love it.
By aubjh

2005 Jeep Wrangler X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Always wanted a Jeep. Now I have one! Aftermarket parts just bolt on. The 190 hp 4.0 V6 gets up and goes really fast. The 6 gears are great too. Second has been a little clunky; going to have that checked. Love the 4x4. Should of gotten the one with cruise control for long trips though. Powersteering already has gone out. Other than that I love it.

Better gas mileage.