Used 2004 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews - 286 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Jeep Wrangler

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Best of the Bunch
By KSnodgrass

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is our third Jeep from the Wrangler family. Love it so far. Best ride and functionality of the group (we still own the other two). They finally catered to those of us in the south and added functional A/C. The only downside is the vulnerability. We've been broken into 3 times in 3 weeks. I guess that's the drawback of the soft-top.

A/C! (Ride in a CJ or YJ with the top on for a couple of days, then tell me the A/C isn't your favorite feature.) Uncomparable capability off-road. Stereo much improved over previous models.

Gas mileage. Off the line acceleration with the 5-speed leaves something to be desired. Need a better glove box lock. Apparently even when locked, they still pull open easily. Learned this the hard way

Better than my 2000 Grand Cherokee
By bahrain_jeepster

2004 Jeep Wrangler SE 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I know it's the baby Jeep (with the 2.4), but for the kind of wheeling I do, it's as good a compromise between getting there on the highway and then being in the mountains. My Jeep has helped to clean up from hurricanes while stationed in GTMO, to treking in the deserts of the middle east. Only got stuck once, in an orchard here in the states. I had the wrong tires to deal with the mud, heck the tractor almost got stuck as well! I traded my 2000 Grand Cherokee for this and I have never looked back! Will not trade it for love nor money! Not a speed demon on the road, but keeps up with traffic.

Top down, wind in my face...It's a Jeep! Simple, direct and in your face, but in a good way!

Lockers should be standard across the board for all models

Lovin' It!
By Rachel

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Overall, my little beast is a dream come true! I love everything about it (except the gas mileage, but that comes with the territory)! I put a 3.5" Super Flex Rubicon Express Lift Kit suspension lift and a 1.25" body lift to fit the 305x70x16 (original rims) tires. She's a little monster now! I couldn't have asked for a more fun vehicle to own and drive. Just driving around and watching the heads turn make me love it just that much more!

Flexible upgrading capabilities at a decent price, off-roading capabilities, convertability, cleanability, interior design, exterior desing that screams "take me off road and get me muddy!!"

Lower seat backs (I'm 5'3 and can't see over the seats when backing out).

2004 Jeep Rubicon 2d/h-top
By Redrubi

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love my Rubicon and there is no other stock SUV or 4x4 that can do what this Jeep can do on or off road. I have 31,500 miles on it and have not had any problems with it yet. I take it off road 2 or 3 times a month with member's of my Jeep group and more than a few of them have bought one because of how good it does on and off road.

Everything except the stock tires.

Need to go with BF Goodrich KO/MT tire's. The stock tire's are junk on and off road.

Great vehicle
By bob

2004 Jeep Wrangler SE 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this used Jeep with only 13,000 miles. The ride is very soft and seems to sway from side to side more than other cars. Avg 21 mpg on and off road combo. AC works very well and the heater is unreal. In 20 degree weather, the heater was blowing hot air in less than half mile! Have not tested the Jeep's ability to get agressive offroad, but on moderate trails, it has no problems. On the fly to 4wd is a piece of cake, but you need to be stopped or at 2 mph for 4wdLow. The turning radius is really small. Combo CD and radio with rear speakers is quite nice, but the volumn must really be increased at highway speeds. Hardly use 5th gear unless on level road at 65+

Heater and the off road ability. Easy self maintenance. Super small turning radius.

A ilttle more interior room for storing stuff.