Used 2002 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews - 94 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Jeep Wrangler

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

It's a Jeep Thing. . .
By CJ's TJ

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Before I bought my '02 Wrangler Sport, I used to see the slogan "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand." Since owning it I do understand. Nothing compares to going off-road, climbing over hills and rocks, plowing through water or mud that is fender high, just to commune with Mother Nature. One thing I will say, the more you want to play, the more you pay. The acronym fits JEEP - Just Empty Every Pocket, but it's been worth every penny.

Convertible top, 4x4, powerful and torque engine, great sound system, durability, reliability, love getting a lot of compliments on how my Jeep is set up, not to mention the looks I get. H2 recovery kit: Standard.

Jeep doesn't really need to change anything, there are so many products out there that one can personalize their Jeep to fit their personality. The only suggestion I can make is, don't try and make the Wrangler into a Hummer, leave that for the Commander.

Perfect Description
By TP

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Yes the exterior mirrors' paint comes off, yes the plastic windows scratch, yes the gas mileage is crummy, yes the interior is cheap, yes the sound system is inferior, yes the ride is bumpy, yes the tires clamshell, yes the softop is a pain, yes you need two people to change back the hardtop, yes the cargo room is small, and yes, I have bought two Jeeps in a row, because the driving experience is something to look forward to every time you get into it, from the day you buy it to your last day with it. Open air driving is incredible. Not worrying about every tiny imperfection, getting a little dog hair in it - priceless. It's stress free driving. Every time.

Open air in the summer. 4 wheel in the winter. Make sure you get it with cruise control. Removable back seat. (I tote 2 labs daily). Getting the Jeep Wave (from every other passing Jeep). My kids love it. My kids friends love it. It's a toy that I can tow my other toys with.

The only thing I would like Jeep to investigate is if they can somehow improve the gas mileage with changes to the engine, without changing the performance.

Jeep Wrangler
By crrazy1

2002 Jeep Wrangler X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Fun to drive all summer with the top down. In the winter there is no stopping you. Aside from a little bumpy ride and not the greatest gas mileage this vehicle is GREAT!

Convertible, 4x4 and cool looking ride.

Would make it have a little better gas mileage.

TOO MUCH FUN
By P.T.

2002 Jeep Wrangler X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased a 2002 black Jeep Wrangler X in 2005. After 10,000 miles of pure fun, no problems at all. Take the top off in the summer and cruise down by the beach. In the winter go and rescue other drivers including over confident TRUCK drivers. No complaints.

Love the chrome Freedom Edition rims that really add to the look of my black Wrangler. In the process of adding bigger tires for offroad improvement.

Better gas mileage, I understand it's a Jeep but with the technology today you'd think Jjeep could get a Honda tech to come over and improve the gas somehow. :)

American Classic
By UncleMark

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I'm in Colorado. Guess what, the 3 speed auto on my 2002 Sahara does a better job than I can on our inclined "roads." I'm very tall and though the comfort level is far better for me than I thought it would be, it's no car. Gas mileage is actually good for hauling around that heavy transfer case all the time. Excellent seat comfort and support. Impressive fit, finish, build quality. Bad: lousy soft-top, but I run around in a safari or bikini and don't use it; hardtop when it's on is DELUXE. Outstanding air/heat (no wonder Mercedes uses the same). There are years of off-road features and refinement in the design of this outstanding vehicle. You should buy one before the 4.0L is gone.

Superb off-road handling and unsurpassed steering quality, and a better-than-average interstate traveler. Great air/heat, sound system, seat comfort, build quality, fit and finish. Removable good quality carpets, easy servicing for mechanic.

Terrible soft top; it broke apart when I first lowered it; haven't used it since because I'm almost always in open air in good weather. Soft tops have always been a problem for Wrangler. If there's a downpour, I throw a tarp over it: low-tech but it works.