Used 2002 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews - 94 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Jeep Wrangler

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Just plain fun
By robert

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

First let me say that I am 58 years old and always wanted a jeep, but life got in the way. I am a pilot and marine captain. I own a beemer 5 series, an F150, and 2 Ford Focus. So if I want to haul, I take the f150, if I am going on road trip, it's the beemer, if I want to conserve fuel, it's one of the focuses. But if I want to have fun, it's the jeep. Bought it used and I had to replace the starter, the battery, and a few bulbs, but it's 6 years old. The ride is not as bad as I thought it would be. But, folks this thing is too much fun, you will find excuses to go somewhere. I can be heard saying, honey we need something from the store? Get one, the fun factor is worth it all.

It will go in the bad weather and it's a convertible in the summer. It's just a blast to drive. Love the high ride and turning ratio, if you need to park, nothing better, maybe a motorcycle. Didn't mess with the top yet.

Only issue is gas mileage, but if your worried about that buy a hybrid. A jeep is about fun and fun costs money.

Great off road but lacks Fuel economy
By Sanders

2002 Jeep Wrangler X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this Jeep in July of 2007 used it only had 48,000 miles and it now has 62,000. At first I was in love with this vehicle being able to just put back the top on sunny days. But then after a few trips with some Jeep clubs, I realized off roading is not good if it is your daily driver.

Great off road, Great rugged design

Bad fuel economy I got 12 mpg So it spent most it's time this summer parked

Fun car
By AJ

2002 Jeep Wrangler X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

With gas at $3.70 in southern California, my jeep is getting a little hard for me to afford, getting a whopping 12 MPG. Extremely fun car to drive, great offroad capabilities, and sweet to have the top off and cruise out to the beach. Good car to have if you don't do a lot of commuting, maybe as a second car, just a toy. Haven't had much problems, one $500 fuel line problem. other than that nothing. fun car though

4x4, having a JEEP

Gas mileage gas mileage gas mileage

Jeep Country
By its.a.jeep.thing

2002 Jeep Wrangler X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

It's a Jeep things, either you love it or you hate it. Where I'm from, the mountains are everything. My 2002 Wrangler X took me everywhere through the mountains. Going along with 10 - 20 other Jeeps through the mountains & the mud made my weekend full of excitement. The short wheel base making it easier to get over hills & through mud. Although taking it through woods & mud & sand & water has tore some things up on my Wrangler, everything was simpley fixed by me! [& "me" being a girl!] Some people may choose not to use their Wrangler as an everyday vehicle, but it was my "everyday vehicle". Sure, gas mileage wasn't the best, but having my Wrangler was worth every penny.

4WD, short wheel base, removable doors, removable top, front & rear bumpers, dash, everything

Gas mileage, if that can't be altered w/out big changes, no need to worry about it!

Great 3rd Vehicle
By ragarver

2002 Jeep Wrangler X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This vehicle is a lot of fun to drive. Pull the doors and roof off and enjoy the sun and beach. This is a well built and very reliable vehicle. Keep in mind, this vehicle has a very short wheel base and will wear you out on a long drive. The original Jeep has limited storage space and but is great for just enjoying a day of sun and fun. Words to the wise, opt. for the larger "Unlimited" or 4DR if this will be your daily driver.

It is a true 4WD convertible made for fun.

The introduction of the unlimited and 4DR (both with longer wheel bases) meets everyones needs. A stronger more efficient motor is always desirable.