Used 2001 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews - 55 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

One of the best cars I've owned.
By Bryan

2001 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought my '01 Wrangler Sahara with the auto transmission about 3 month ago with 87k miles on it and I love it so far. I'm a VW guy, but my GTI's handling in the snow isn't great, so I was looking for a secondary car with 4wd capabilities to battle the harsh northeast winters we have in NJ. My Wrangler came with a bunch of aftermarket modifications, including a lift kit and big 33' tires, which drastically changes the ride quality and control of the jeep. So I'm not going to comment too much on that. The Wrangler itself is super reliable for a 16 year old car, I've only had minor parts that needed to be replaced, such as the starter and solenoid bearing(even then the parts were relatively cheap and I was able to do a lot of repairs myself right in my driveway with ease). The jeep itself is so much fun to drive, I've also taken it off-roading and it handles the abuse like a pro. The I6 4.0L engine is super reliable and bullet-proof if you keep up with proper maintenance, and the auto transmission is responsive and shifts smoothly. Only cons I have are if you have a hard top, it's damn near impossible to take it off on your own to enjoy the convertible aspect of the Wrangler, and the gas milage, well, don't expect to get a thing better than 18 Mpgs highway. Regardless, it's a reliable, fun, do anything, go anywhere truck! I drive it more than my GTI now!

Sweet 16 and still rolling
By Christopher L

2001 Jeep Wrangler SE 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Humans aside, not many things hold their allure after 16 years. Furniture, TVs, Cell Phones & Computers, and clothing are few examples of items that we'd rather part with after a long run. Most of the time vehicles fall into this category as well. From time to time though a few slip through the cracks and become timeless friends that make us smile when we turn the key. Such is the case with the Jeep Wrangler. Part truck, part convertible, fully modifiable is is this little machine that started life on paper as a mode of transport for soldiers is now a part of the land scape in modern cities and suburbans. My particular Jeep is a 01 SE base model example. It's previous owner graced this Jeep with optional AC, rear sound bar, 31 inch tires, 1 inch body lift and color matching fenders. A feature only found on Safari models that year. Fitted with half doors and a soft top has made winter morning and evenings a bit nippy, but in typical fashion the Chrysler equipped heater and blower are far more the adequate of keeping it's occupants warm. The AC too blows cool enough to fend of summer heat waves. Rust, a word often associated with Jeeps seems to have missed my unit as its frame and underbody are free from such assaults. Careful and methodical attention to salt and mud will assure the next 16 years are equally rust free. Finally, the expensive bits, engine, wiring, transmission and transfer case all operate well. Despite having only a three speed transmission with overdrive, my Jeep with the 2.5 litter inline 4 returns a whooping 30MPG on the highway and a respectable 18MPG in the city with stop and go driving. A four speed automatic would have been a preferred feature to even out shifts in traffic and getting up to speed. If sourcing a Jeep for yourself, attempting to snag a five speed manual would be ideal if more time will be spent in urban trekking than rock crawling. Other items that leave me longing are squishy breaks that do get the job done, but have you a bit more concern then confidant and a lack of cruise control on all but the Safari edition. Still, if removing the chances of ever getting stuck in light to medium snow while being able to enjoy convertible driving in the summer checks your boxes, then the Jeep Wrangler may just be the vehicle for you.

Last purchase of a car 2001
By Jack Phillippe

2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

First, I have purchased Jeep's in the past and have overwhelmingly been totally satisfied. When I purchased my 2001 Jeep Sport Wrangler, I knew it would be the last car purchased by me because of my age. I'm now 78 Years of age and can afford a new model if I wanted to but it wouldn't be a wise investment because of my age. I love my 2001 Jeep and found over the years that all it cost me, besides and oil change once a year (my millage now is only 5,500) and the price of gas. It performs wonders in snow and was my main reason for buying it. I'm the only one in my neighborhood who doesn't have to dig out because of a snow storm. It is a go any where car. There were two early recalls when I first purchase it. I wouldn't purchase any other car on the market, if I were to buy another car----period.
" I still own the 2001 Jeep Wrangler and it still runs fine with little expense. I'm adding information, this in the year 2017"
DITO 2018

My forever Jeep
By tjinsaanich

2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've bought it used the first day of 2007 at 72,000 KM and I haven't regret it once. I have made many mods to it and now it sport Aussie lockers, 3" lift with 31" MT, snorkel with Body spacer air intake, body armor all around with flat fender, Bush bumper with winch, striped down interior and a truck bed liner paint job. Needless to say it is an off-road machine but I also use it as my daily driver most days. My other vehicle is a VW Eurovan camper that is great and comfortable but it ain't my Jeep and if I had to choose I'd take the Jeep any day.

I love the short wheel base, width and coil suspension makes this vehicle perfect for off-roading, it even took me on many ATV trails that other 4x4 (including the JK) could not manage. The turning radius is great and the mostly metal (mine is striped of most plastic components) make it a solid reliable 4x4. I rarely get stuck even before I put in lockers and often pull others out of a jam. It has a lot of torque and great compression for going downhill.

The main con with this Jeep was in my opinion a little too much plastic when I first got it. I'm someone who appreciate a solid spartan truck like look and feel to a vehicle. And the top is somewhat awkward wether it be the hard top of soft top bot have their own issues. So I'm now using wrapped around Bikini top with wind jammer , Problem solved.

Most Versatile, Fun, Sexy, Reliable Vehicle Ever Built
By jamesdoolin

I bought my Wrangler new in June 2001 and now have 193,000 miles as of Oct.2011
Still runs STRONG. I've used it to pull a 28' foot parasail in open fields. I own a boat rental business and have been pulling and towing 5000 pound trailers for years even though its only rated to pull 2500.
Can take a while to stop with 5000 pounds behind you though :)
I use my Wrangler for advertising, I've got a large removable neon sign hanging between the roll bars in the back! Love to take the top down and the doors off and blast my music! Did a little 4x4 early on and it can handle it. Ice, snow, beach, no problem. Wranglers are great fun, if you don't like em then you're not fun. I'll keep mine 4ever.

Favorites include soft top and removable doors. Some reviews/people say the top is hard to put up and down. Not really true, there are specific steps that you just have to follow and do it in the right order. Otherwise, you can struggle with it a bit. Temperature also affects this... warm temps make it easier because the fabric stretches a little more and cold temps the fabric tightens up making it harder. Doors literally lift off the hinges in 2 seconds. Extremely versatile vehicle with lots of modifications and customizations available. If stuck in traffic on the Interstate I can jump off road to the service road with ease. Wrangler is part of a life style, you have a reason for owning it

Gas mileage could be better. 17city/19highway is average. But I would NOT sacrifice hp or torque for better mileage. A removable back seat might be nice, just to have extra room when needed. The 2001 Wranglers just fold forward, but not removable. I hear the newer models 2008 and up went to a V6 instead of keeping the inline-6 like have. I'm told this results in a slight loss of power and towing capability. I love my 2001 Wrangler! I wish I could have afforded to buy 2 at the time. I take mine to the dealer every 3000 miles for oil change. Have kept every receipt in a well organized binder since day 1. Plan to get 500,000 miles out of this Wrangler, only 300k to go.