Used 2000 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews - 69 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Jeep Wrangler

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

best I've ever had
By Eric

2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

This has been the best vehicle I have ever had, hands down. I had always wanted a Jeep, and finally I just went ahead and got one. After two years plus, I've never regretted it, even for a second. It's incredibly fun to drive, very reliable, versatile, and stylish. I have the solar yellow Sport model with the 5 speed transmission (definitely recommended). I've replaced the factory soft top with an aftermarket Sailcloth top from Bestop (also recommended), and during the summer I use a safari bikini top and duster. There's nothing better in the world than having a convertible in the summer that's also a go-anywhere winter vehicle. I don't think I'll ever have another vehicle again.

Convertible, and dozens of top options. Ride quality (not mushy at all). Go anywhere you want off-road. Heater is incredible. 5-speed is perfect. Build quality is top-notch--in 30k miles of driving, I've only had one issue--an oxygen sensor--that I replaced myself. Easy to work on. Classic Jeep styling.

A lot of people will say road and wind noise. But, it's a Jeep...it comes with the territory. So that doesn't bother me. The interior is a little cramped, but I've grown to like it. With the back seat out there's plenty of room. Stock speakers are a little weak. Stock headlights are dim.

2000 Wrangler Sahara
By Jeffrey Morris

2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

I've owned 3 Jeeps - the others being a 1993 Cherokee and a 2002 Grand Cherokee. The Wrangler is the only one I own now, for almost 7 years. It is mechanically well built, with very little drivetrain repair being needed. I have replaced a starter (warranty) and paid for a new muffler, wiper motor, and various wear items (brakes, serpertine belt). I tend to leave the top down in the summer. One year the steering column filled with water during a rain storm resulting in almost $1K in repairs needed - in the warranty period, but not covered. I have since been more careful to put a trash bag over the column when the top is down. I bought a 2006 Chrysler 300 sedan and kept the Jeep as a fun vehicle.

Fun to drive, especially with the top down. Can take me places no car could. Short wheelbase is great for parking, U-turns. Great to run around in on the weekend, but not as a high-speed commuter.

Poor gas mileage - goes with all Jeeps, no surprise there. Interior electronics should be waterproofed better. Lots of vibration at interstate speeds, best to keep the speed below 50 MPH (i.e., not really suited for the highway). Not recommended as a commute vehicle. 3/36 warranty is too short.

Great vehicle guaranteed to get you from A to B
By Ben

2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle is very rugged and can handle about anything. I have used and abused it and always works great. I don't like how the A/C system is not too cold and this is bad when you are offroading. Most of the time my top is down, which is also a hassle. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to have fun driving!

Offroading capabilities, ability to take off doors and top, height.

Better HVAC system, better electrical system, more comfortable seats.

Durability = Jeep Wrangler
By Kay

2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

This is the most durable vehicle I have ever owned. After about 5 years the oil sending unit had to be replaced which was about $200. Other than that it has been great. I realize the gas mileage is not good, but that's something you find out BEFORE you make a purchase. I absolutely love the short wheel base. That makes parking and getting places a lot easier. I have grown accustomed to the road noise, and that really isn't a problem since the kids are grown and I ride by myself most of the time. Obviously these vehicles are made to be driven hard, because you can't beat the low maintenance on this vehicle.

The short wheel base is awesome - you never have a problem getting into a parking place. The low maintenance on this vehicle is fantastic. I replaced the oil sending unit a couple of years ago, and that's pretty much it.

The poor gas mileage is my biggest complaint, but it's understandable with the non-aerodynamic shape and the rag top. You can't drive it fast on a windy day, but who needs to speed.

A Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand
By forever jeep

2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

For those that complain about mpg or comfort in this Jeep, then you bought it for the wrong reasons. I have had my Wrangler for 5.5 years now. For the first five years it was my primary vehicle and I loved it! The top down, sun on your face and enjoying the summer. I have done so much to mine, and I can't stop! Lift, 33" tires, winch in the front and lights everywhere. It is the definition of SUMMER! Our first baby is due in April and I could have traded it in and bought a new F150 or fancy car, but I just couldn't part with this JEEP. So I bought a commuter car for the me and the baby and that still allows me to drive my Jeep in the summer. People think I am crazy ... except JEEP owners!

EVERYTHING! At the time it was a new interior. The straight six cylinder will last forever. I have 85,000 miles on mine and a buddy has over 130,000 on his and no major problems. The exterior is a identifiable as any vehicle out there. If you want to enjoy your summer and youth, get a JEEP!

A few minor ones that make me wonder since they have been building these for so long. MAKE FENDER FLARES THAT SO NOT FADE! Have tougher carpeting as a purchase option or standard with rubber mats. Second purchase on replacement carpet. Good thing it doesn't cost much.