Used 2008 Jeep Patriot Consumer Reviews - 217 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Jeep Patriot

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:

Used to love mine but...
By luvmyxterra

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my '08 Patriot new, and loved it.
It was one of the only 5 speed 4x4s available and it was a great value, coming equipped with a moonroof, cruise, power windows, and a built in inverter, among my favorite accessories.
I loved the ingenious little spare flashlight that doubled as the rear dome light.
What happened?
First, the moonroof leaks at random, and will dump up to 1/2 a cup of water on my dash (and me) at will.
The ball joints failed at 45K, making it feel like I was driving on marbles, making horrible clunking sounds when I drove over bumps.
Luckily bumper to bumper covered it, but now rust bubbles are the deal breaker.
Looking to trade for a Mitsu Outlander.

Many extras added in, including auxillary inverter that will allow you to plug in a 110 plug - has helped when the 12 volt plug was in use for something else (like rear DVD players) and I needed to charge my phone. It's relatively fun to drive, and great in the snow/ice. The mileage is good on long trips due to the 5 speed.

Build quality is very disappointing. While I love my sunroof in good weather, I curse it after a strong downpour - I'm sick of getting rained on. Rust bubbling through the paint at 45k is unacceptable. Not happy about that. Faulty ball joints that required complete replacement of both lower control arms is ridiculous at such low milage - tie rod ends were changed just to be safe, but come on, really? That shouldn't be either - Jeep should have put a recall on this because it's a known design flaw with the caliber chassis. I love Jeeps, but I have to part with mine. It has a querky throttle which consistently gets stuck when the engine is cold, causing the car to buck.

Bought with 60k on it
By aaronyrf

2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Well Ive had my Riot for about a half of a year now and no problems to report. Previous owner did regular maintenance on it and Im sure that helped extend the life of the factory parts. Just did a CVT tranny fluid change as indicated by the manual. I was nervous that I would have to take it to the Jeep dealer and sell my soul to pay for the fluid but instead I just asked my neighborhood oil change center and they had all the necessary tools and fluid and it only cost me a hundred dollars. (Just out of curiosity I checked the Jeep dealer in my town and they quoted me 755 dollars!!!!!!! for the 60k servicing.) My advice is ask around. It cant hurt.

Love the Jeep so far. Its not a race car by any means but Ive never had problems merging or passing or going up hills. CVT performs satisfactory for my needs. Love the great gas mileage! Storage is above average.

The exhaust configuration in the rear of the vehicle gives it a squat appearance. Merely an aesthetic complaint as it doesn't seem to affect the ground clearance.

Cheap Jeep! Beware of Money Pit.
By newellio

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased vehicle with only 13,000 miles.
Within first year needed new brakes, then when around 57,000 miles the rattling and clunking noises began.
We discovered both tie rods and ball joints were bad.
Estimated repairs were over $1000.
Then a ringing noise in the transmission began to get louder. So we decided to trade in.
Dealers were not willing to give us a decent trade because the CVT transmission was starting to go bad.
Apparently this is a major issue in the Jeeps especially when it reaches around 60,000 miles.
Jeep is not willing to warranty this issue. Our mechanic said newer jeeps are the most serviced vehicle he works on and encouraged us to trade it!

dont' bother...it's made cheap and waste of your money.

Update- 122k, still no non wear repairs
By jeepking

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I wrote a review about my Patriot at 60k, only repair then was a light bulb.
Since then I have 122k and have only had to replace wear items.
Just did a new clutch at 122k, did rear brakes at 110k and front at 120k.
My hope is the next clutch goes longer,
I live in Minnesota and when I replaced the stock Goodyears with Michelins my snow performance went to ****,
I have two wheel drive and did put some snow tires on (Kumhos), and that has worked out well.
Point is I think I did a lot of damage to my clutch trying to get out of stuff without snow tires.

I like my Jeep dealer and suggest you go to a dealer versus Tires Plus, Midas, etc. those sorts of places always seem to find stuff wrong and the dealer confirms the repair is not all that needed. And when I get quotes the dealer is less. I think dealers just have more incentive for you to be happy and keep you coming back. They want you to buy another car. Wheras the Tires Plus of the world just want to make as much as they can on that one visit. My advise, if one of those places says you need new shocks, get a second opinion. Yeah there may have been a slight leak but the dealer told me to wait till I noticed it in my ride. And when I do the dealers quote was half.

They should do a better job of attaching the windshield molding, any strong car wash dryer system has blown mine right off. I did have it all glued down and it has not been a problem since.

UNBELIEVABLE VALUE
By janetjrm

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car off the lot with 31 miles on it.
Just got rid of it with 137000.
Only repair was new tires.
I drove this car into the ground.
Terrific for small SUV.
4WD is awesome made it up my huge hill of a driveway every time.
Never had a repair bill.
put on more than 30000 a year and it never failed me.
My favorite car!!! Only let it go as I needed larger SUV for my german shepherd.
It is small, but 4 cyl gas mileage 18 in town and 25+ on Hwy.
Highly recommend this vehicle, very fun to drive, easy to park.
I miss it already!