Used 2008 Jeep Patriot Consumer Reviews - 215 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Jeep Patriot

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:

2008 Patriot Automatic
By highlander25

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought new in 2008, 25 miles on it.
Since then, 77K miles and I have gone had 2 transmission replacements and it sounds like a third is coming soon.
I can't get the car to stop whining.
The car overheats 30 minutes into a family trip, have to stop to cool down before going on.
Any slight incline and the tranny overheats.
This is a problem since we like in Colorado now.
Dealerships here had the car once for a month fighting with Corporate over who will pay to replace the tranny.
Will never own a jeep again.
My eight year old makes fun of jeeps we see parked.

Love this car, just not the cheap interior
By wbouma

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My Patriot is actually a FWD automatic, there just wasn't an option for it. I bought this car with 100,000 km on it and have had no problems in the two years since, and am now at 154,000 km two years later. Gas mileage is alright, if I drive 110 everywhere I get 500 km on a tank (when the gas light comes on). It's awesome for trips as it can hold four people and all their luggage easily, but the seats are a little hard. Despite all this, its been a good vehicle and I plan on keeping it till it dies.

My favourite features are the high seat, great sound system, and lots of options for not much money. It's awesome in snow, for a front wheel drive.

The new Patriots apparently have an improved interior, which I would like to have. The hard, scratchable plastic all over the inside sort of sucks. Also, the paint is a little cheap. Mine is covered in chips..again, the new ones have plastic around the wheels to protect the body, which is a good idea.

Money Pit... Eats tires!
By ginahweenah

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Patriot new off the lot with 28 miles on it. We've put a new set of tires on it yearly as it tears up the inside of the front tires despite getting them rotated every two months. We have had to replace something for the rack and pinion steering on the passenger side and a tie rod
twice on the passenger side. Looking to trade in and go back to Toyota. Will NEVER buy a Jeep again!

Great gas mileage.

How about a recall on the faulty rack and pinion steering and the tie rods that keep going. And whatever it is that eats up the front tires? I'm also more than a little disappointed that you chose a strange size tire that costs $140+ per tire to replace. Shame on you!

Used to love mine but...
By luvmyxterra

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my '08 Patriot new, and loved it.
It was one of the only 5 speed 4x4s available and it was a great value, coming equipped with a moonroof, cruise, power windows, and a built in inverter, among my favorite accessories.
I loved the ingenious little spare flashlight that doubled as the rear dome light.
What happened?
First, the moonroof leaks at random, and will dump up to 1/2 a cup of water on my dash (and me) at will.
The ball joints failed at 45K, making it feel like I was driving on marbles, making horrible clunking sounds when I drove over bumps.
Luckily bumper to bumper covered it, but now rust bubbles are the deal breaker.
Looking to trade for a Mitsu Outlander.

Many extras added in, including auxillary inverter that will allow you to plug in a 110 plug - has helped when the 12 volt plug was in use for something else (like rear DVD players) and I needed to charge my phone. It's relatively fun to drive, and great in the snow/ice. The mileage is good on long trips due to the 5 speed.

Build quality is very disappointing. While I love my sunroof in good weather, I curse it after a strong downpour - I'm sick of getting rained on. Rust bubbling through the paint at 45k is unacceptable. Not happy about that. Faulty ball joints that required complete replacement of both lower control arms is ridiculous at such low milage - tie rod ends were changed just to be safe, but come on, really? That shouldn't be either - Jeep should have put a recall on this because it's a known design flaw with the caliber chassis. I love Jeeps, but I have to part with mine. It has a querky throttle which consistently gets stuck when the engine is cold, causing the car to buck.

Bought with 60k on it
By aaronyrf

2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Well Ive had my Riot for about a half of a year now and no problems to report. Previous owner did regular maintenance on it and Im sure that helped extend the life of the factory parts. Just did a CVT tranny fluid change as indicated by the manual. I was nervous that I would have to take it to the Jeep dealer and sell my soul to pay for the fluid but instead I just asked my neighborhood oil change center and they had all the necessary tools and fluid and it only cost me a hundred dollars. (Just out of curiosity I checked the Jeep dealer in my town and they quoted me 755 dollars!!!!!!! for the 60k servicing.) My advice is ask around. It cant hurt.

Love the Jeep so far. Its not a race car by any means but Ive never had problems merging or passing or going up hills. CVT performs satisfactory for my needs. Love the great gas mileage! Storage is above average.

The exhaust configuration in the rear of the vehicle gives it a squat appearance. Merely an aesthetic complaint as it doesn't seem to affect the ground clearance.