Used 2008 Jeep Patriot Consumer Reviews - 219 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Jeep Patriot

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:

afraid to drive because its always cost me money in breakdowns
By gary86

2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

my 2008 jeep patriot I
thought was going to be a great car at a great price but oh boy was I WRONG.we only drive it
when going to dinner or someplace nice.
the car only has 15000 miles on it and we have had the tie rods replaced the transmissionm replaced and now the ball joint assembly replaced. it also leaked until they figured out how to fix it.
trying to get them to fix it now is a problem it only had a 3 year 36000 mile warranty whichever came first.
if we would
had driven it more during the first 3 years these problems would had been discovered but we were trying to keep the vechile like new what a mistake. I"m also a toledo jeep retiree but that makes 0 difference to them.

nothing this car is a 2 wheel drive 6 speed automatic limited but that choice was not listed on the form

take care of their customers. I won"t buy another jeep because of this I"ll probably not ever buy another chrysler product even though I get the employee discount. WHY, it"s costing me moer money now

2008 Jeep Patriot - Fail!
By disappointed71

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new in 2008. Within the first year, dome light would fill with water during a hard rain and would dump all over dash and me! Three years in, the lower ball joints/control arm had to be replaced with under 60,000 mi. Brakes and tires also had to be replace around the same time due to extra strain from the bad control arm. One year later, the ball joints are going bad again! Transmission is also acting up - anytime I travel on the highway for 2 hours or so, the transmission temperature light goes on and the car compensates by slowing me down to 45 mph, forcing me to pull over. Dealership says nothing is wrong with the tranny. I beg to differ!! Hate this car and will trade ASAP!!!

I like the body style and some of the features. They do not, however, make up for the mechanical problems!

Would like to see Jeep stand behind its product by admitting that the lower ball joints/control arm is a defect in this vehicle and cover costs to fix the problem.

This is NOT a Jeep
By cayoung85

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this CAR a year ago. I have put 12k miles on it taking it to 54k. Hesitates on take-off. Most of the time I don't feel comfortable pulling in to traffic. Recently I started getting the creaking sound from the front end. Ended up having to replace both ball joints and control arms (since they are not sold separately) and a tie rod. $780. Looking for something else. Went from a Mustang Convertible to this. Just goes to show, don't marry the rebound girl. If you're looking for a Jeep, this is not it. This is a crappy old Dodge in knockoff Jeep clothing. So disappointed.

Stay Away from the 2008 Jeep Patriot
By autumnrose

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have replaced everything in the front end of this vehicle. I have owned it 6 months and in that 6 months, stab links, barrings, ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, struts (twice), the spark plugs and it needs coils but there 40$ a piece have not got there yet. Now after the front end problems it still creaks and squeaks it makes crazy sounds.
it likes to hesitate when you push the gas. It just wont go and it stutters like it wants to stall but it does not YET. i dont get it and no garages do either. One said it was a misfire in the piston. GREAT! i would not recommend this vehicle to anyone. it makes so many sounds and even after it is all "fixed" it still remains making unknown sounds

Nothing, I hate this car and i have an appointment with the dealership i bought it from on monday because i have only had it for almost 6 months and it needs so much work. i contacted the BBB and they got ahold of the dealership and they said they want to "fix" my problem Only way they will fix my problem is if they take it back and let me get a whole entire new vehicle

This Vehicle has HORRIBLE front end problems. FRONT SUSPENSION is terrible. They need to do something about that. And also the engine misfire, transmission hesitation. Who knows what it is. At least make it determinable so that a mechanic can figure it out! It wont even throw a code so no one knows whats going on?

2008 Patriot Automatic
By highlander25

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought new in 2008, 25 miles on it.
Since then, 77K miles and I have gone had 2 transmission replacements and it sounds like a third is coming soon.
I can't get the car to stop whining.
The car overheats 30 minutes into a family trip, have to stop to cool down before going on.
Any slight incline and the tranny overheats.
This is a problem since we like in Colorado now.
Dealerships here had the car once for a month fighting with Corporate over who will pay to replace the tranny.
Will never own a jeep again.
My eight year old makes fun of jeeps we see parked.