Used 2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews - 412 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Bad front drive shaft
By lmatney

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I am now on my 6th front drive shaft. I am also having my front ball joints replaced for the 3rd time. I have had the rear speed sensor replaced 8 times. It is costing so much to maintain. Also the wrap around back doors makes the doors impossible to open in freezing weather. Mud and snow builds up and freezes.

Front U-Joints that can be replaced without having to buy the whole front drive shaft.

Bad tranny
By Mike B

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Renegade 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I maintained my Liberty as per manufacturer specs (ALL services were performed), yet at 101,000 miles the transmission went out. It failed to shift back into first gear, and would stick between 2nd - 3rd. This is the automatic transmission. $2850 to get it rebuilt. transmission shop says "Chryslers are known for weak transmissions, especially in their vans". Never had a problem like this with Hondas/Toyotas (I keep them to 200,000 miles). I think this will be my last American car.

Too Good for me
By Itikuo

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this with 76,000 miles. It came with all the repairs which was a recall for some ball point pivot or something. I've had for a little over a year now and nothing ever goes wrong other than not putting the gas cap on correctly and getting the light. I love how it has built in diagnostics which will save me money if/when anything does go wrong. I laughed at snow storm last winter in D.C I was pulling the Mail Truck around. Its more than I need so now I'm selling it with only 86,000 miles and nothing wrong whatsoever.

2+ feet of snow and only truck on the road Good suspension for going over bumps and uneven roads. Very reliable

Back seat comfort really needs improved. Personally I don't mind but 8 hour drive for passengers not so good. Also better fuel economy and I would be keeping this vehicle..

Beware of 3.7
By MostAnnoyed

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Renegade 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Absolutely loved the vehicle, turning radius was incredible, seats very comfortable, power was more than adequate, absolutely loved our Renegade UNTIL at 85,000 the engine seized up at a stoplight, never to run again. Web search indicates there seems to be a random behavior of these engines gumming up no matter how religiously you change the oil and filters or how well you maintain the vehicle. Most disappointed. After five years, the vehicle is worth $1000 as SALVAGE.

improve fuel efficiency and build a reliable engine

Jeep Liberty with a nifty diesel
By nursecrd

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Special ordered this Jeep. I have been quite pleased with this car in spite of some quirkiness. Love the 2.8 L turbo diesel. It is a bit noisy but the torque is phenomenal. This little guy is no slouch on the road. Great fuel economy, 30 - 31 MPG (calculated) when kept under 65 MPH. Fairly good reliability. Torque converter is weak link in the drive train and I am on #3. Engine requires a bit more care than the gas version but it is an easy engine to maintain. Some aftermarket engine parts available (filters) but all else you have get at the dealer and they are not cheap. Adequate long distance road car but very good off road and in heavy snow.

Love the low end torque. Very good seating position, tight body structure. Economical turbo diesel engine.

Stronger torque converter, please. Longer drive train warranty would be nice too.