Used 2005 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews - 406 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Jeep Liberty

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Jeep Liberty Limited CRD - blown engine
By winter2

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my CRD brand new.
Fairly reliable and occasionally quirky.
Good highway economy at 30-31 MPG.

During a recent trip, the #1 connecting rod disintegrated and sent shrapnel throughout the engine at 77,594 miles.

Have a case setup with Chrysler and waiting to hear if they will fix it.
The diesel tech at the dealer where it is and the engineer at Chrysler he spoke to
had never heard of this diesel blowing up like this.

Love it!
By MissA1987

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Ya know someone said they would rather have a toyota, yeah go ahead it'll be recalled in no time. I did have a foreign car before I got my Jeep. But I hated it, it was awful on the highway. I've had no problems with my jeep with the past five years that I've had it. And here I am almost 100,000 miles later and I'm still driving it. And I actually started a trend because right after, I let both my sisters, my best friend and my cousin drive it and ya know what they traded in their foreign cars for a JEEP as well. And I'm not trying to be mean, but maybe y'all don't know how to drive. The only thing I dont like are the seats, but if that's the price I have to pay to buy AMERICAN so be it!

4wd

Change plastic bumpers, and make more comfortable seats with the American flag printed on them.

CRD was a loser
By williambig

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased this Jeep liberty CRD new. Just after I got it they had a recall for the front wheel bearings and the torque converter and transmission front pump.Both were replaced under warranty. The next thing to go bad was the EGR valve which went bad after 35,000 miles. It was replaced under warranty. At about 45,000 miles I started having problems with the boost pressure sensor getting loaded up with carbon. I cleaned this and reinstalled and would go bad over and over. the EGR air flow control went bad, known to every one else as a throttle body. NOT covered under warranty. Last thing the fuel filter mount required to be replaced by Chrysler but will not pay or it. Good riddance Chrysler

Lots of Torque

A company that will stand behind their 7/70 warranty. Testing the motors before they put them in the market place

Reasonable vehicle for reasonable price
By Joe Chocrame

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I have done a lot of highway driving in my Liberty and it has performed pretty well--the Check engine light has come on several times and it difficult to get to stay off. Gas mileage isn't the best. Front seats are quite comfortable however the back seat is quite uncomfortable and crammed. I like having the spare tire so convenient. These Jeeps work great on bumpy roads although the ride is a little rough and noisy. Even in 4wheel high, my warning is not to drive it on the highway in any slippery road conditions. I have gone off the road a few times on the ice at . Thank God the vehicle never has rolled over!Over all its a cute little guy but do not expect to get out of a muddy ditch!

Comfortable front seats, good visibility, good performance off road-- as long as you're not in the mud! Easily accessible spare tire.

More cushioning and leg room in back seat, better gas mileage, better traction

Life saver
By libertyisgr8

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Owned 10 or more previous vehs. (3rd brand new). Over 116k miles later wouldn't trade it for the world. The handling and stability saved our lives - kept us from even having the accident (another driver made left from oncoming lane 50-75 feet in front of us while traveling approx. 55 mph) I Love the tight steering. Original brakes went 84k and still had plenty left. Will be passing on to children.

Steering. Responsive. Will go anywhere! Dependable. Sporty. Fun to drive. Will get up & fly. More power than our in-line 6 Cherokee.

Cloth material will stain easily (water leaves mark always looks dirty). Gas mileage isn't the best. Fog light lenses crack when used in cool weather & expensive to replace.