Used 2005 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews - 406 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Jeep Liberty

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Great vehicle!
By dust2dust34

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this Liberty in 2008 used and with around 45,000 miles on it. For the last four years, I had absolutely nothing wrong with it other than some recalls and brakes. Had to replace the roaters because of previous owner (boo). Drives just the way I would expect a Jeep to. It's compact and easy and has a lot of get up and go (not a great every day car though - more Jeep than commuter car). Recently have had to replace the transmission cooler lines, front drive shaft and had a leak in the head gasket but considering what I've gotten out of so far, I'm not terribly concerned and I expect to get many more years out of this Jeep. Great buy for me and will keep for a long time!

Great, great, great in snow and when you need 4 wheel drive. Doesn't back down and has a lot of power. Heats up quick (as most Jeeps do in my experience).

When I let the gas fill up on its own, the tank doesn't let you know when it's full and it overflows. There is a super annoying rattle every once in a while coming from the back window.

Not a good buy!
By jenniferb8700

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Happy when we purchased our Liberty in 2005 but since then, we've had to have the transmission rebuilt and u-joints replaced.
The gas mileage is pitiful, too.

Chrysler quality
By peaceriver

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our 2005 Liberty as a lease return with 80km. During a trip to the US we started to notice a howl from the rear diff which got worse as we travelled. no oil leaks evident. since we had purchased an extended warrenty to 120k, the dealership replaced pretty much everything in the housing at 92km. At 115 km the dealership mechanic said that the rear diff needed service, meaning of course the oil needed to be changed. no big deal we thought although it seemed odd that the oil was dirty so soon after a rebuild. At 153k the rear end started to howl again. $2000+ later and most components replaced. Normally a rear diff ought to out last the rest of the vehicle or so we thought.Wrong!

nice handling, predictable, excellent visibility compared to other Chrysler SUV's

BEST CAR EVER OWNED!!!
By jeeplib0545

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my jeep in 2009 with only 33,000 miles on it.
I haven't had a single problem with it since the day I've gotten it, and I love it so much!
I've had cars in the past that were awful, and my jeep is truly dependable and reliable.
My family has owned jeeps, and will never own anything but Jeeps!
If you are looking for value for your dollar, the Jeep Liberty Sport is worth every penny!

I thought I would need cruise control, but mine doesn't have it and I'm fine without it. My favorite feature is the 4WD - living near the mountains makes it a must have and it's gotten me out of sticky situations, but mostly it makes me feel so safe.

none!

Not a good choice
By shrewem

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our 2005 Liberty new. Also purchasing the 5 year warranty which exp Feb 2010. Last week (Dec 2010) it started acting up so we took it into the dealer. Bad head gasket, takes $1500.00 to fix. While tearing it down they found a timing belt guide broken and had to buy the entire kit from Mopar for $534 additional. We don't have it back yet but a 90,000 mile vehicle should not be requiring a $2500.00 repair. It is the last Jeep/Dodge we will buy. We are looking again soon but will probably look towards a Toyota.

Back your vehicles with a better warranty. Quit buying the lowest bidder parts from China. I'll pay a higher price to get American made.