Used 2005 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews - 405 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Jeep Liberty

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Not a good buy!
By jenniferb8700

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Happy when we purchased our Liberty in 2005 but since then, we've had to have the transmission rebuilt and u-joints replaced.
The gas mileage is pitiful, too.

Chrysler quality
By peaceriver

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our 2005 Liberty as a lease return with 80km. During a trip to the US we started to notice a howl from the rear diff which got worse as we travelled. no oil leaks evident. since we had purchased an extended warrenty to 120k, the dealership replaced pretty much everything in the housing at 92km. At 115 km the dealership mechanic said that the rear diff needed service, meaning of course the oil needed to be changed. no big deal we thought although it seemed odd that the oil was dirty so soon after a rebuild. At 153k the rear end started to howl again. $2000+ later and most components replaced. Normally a rear diff ought to out last the rest of the vehicle or so we thought.Wrong!

nice handling, predictable, excellent visibility compared to other Chrysler SUV's

BEST CAR EVER OWNED!!!
By jeeplib0545

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my jeep in 2009 with only 33,000 miles on it.
I haven't had a single problem with it since the day I've gotten it, and I love it so much!
I've had cars in the past that were awful, and my jeep is truly dependable and reliable.
My family has owned jeeps, and will never own anything but Jeeps!
If you are looking for value for your dollar, the Jeep Liberty Sport is worth every penny!

I thought I would need cruise control, but mine doesn't have it and I'm fine without it. My favorite feature is the 4WD - living near the mountains makes it a must have and it's gotten me out of sticky situations, but mostly it makes me feel so safe.

none!

Not a good choice
By shrewem

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our 2005 Liberty new. Also purchasing the 5 year warranty which exp Feb 2010. Last week (Dec 2010) it started acting up so we took it into the dealer. Bad head gasket, takes $1500.00 to fix. While tearing it down they found a timing belt guide broken and had to buy the entire kit from Mopar for $534 additional. We don't have it back yet but a 90,000 mile vehicle should not be requiring a $2500.00 repair. It is the last Jeep/Dodge we will buy. We are looking again soon but will probably look towards a Toyota.

Back your vehicles with a better warranty. Quit buying the lowest bidder parts from China. I'll pay a higher price to get American made.

Jeep Liberty Limited CRD - blown engine
By winter2

Bought my CRD brand new.
Fairly reliable and occasionally quirky.
Good highway economy at 30-31 MPG.

During a recent trip, the #1 connecting rod disintegrated and sent shrapnel throughout the engine at 77,594 miles.

Have a case setup with Chrysler and waiting to hear if they will fix it.
The diesel tech at the dealer where it is and the engineer at Chrysler he spoke to
had never heard of this diesel blowing up like this.