Used 2005 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews - 406 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Jeep Liberty

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Great all-around small family SUV
By kal13

2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Great little family SUV if you need real off-road performance.
Bought it used with 50,000 miles and now three years later with 107,000 miles have had to do nothing but routine maintenance.
Just drove it across country (3,600 miles in one week) with no issues going 80+ mph.
I change the oil & filter every 6,000mi along with tire rotation and alignment; all other fluids every 30,000 miles and it still drives and runs like new.
Has plenty of power and even more torque, no problem passing when needed.
Have used it off-road almost everyweekend for three years and always gets me there and back.
Handles 12+ inches of snow or mud with ease and has no issues in two feet of water.

Extremely solid build - feels much better built than my wife's subaru or my previous honda. Off-road and poor weather ability - I have no problem keeping up with friends in their Wranglers and FJ Cruisers. Great for snowy mountain roads and unmaintained forest roads. This thing is also at home on the beach in soft sand. Interior feels luxurious for a jeep, very soft yet durable dash and door trim. Have driven many other vehicles since purchasing this Jeep including BMW, VW, Chevy, Honda etc and nothing feels as solid, versatile, or simply fun to drive.

More masculine styling; I did not even consider the liberty at first due to looks but my wife convinced me to test drive a renegade and it turned out to be a great choice. Bring back the solid front axle of the old cherokees - the independent front suspension has its limitations in regards to lift height and ease of home maintenance. could use more storage space up front for things like sunglasses, change, etc. The stock tires are horrible; Jeep should be ashamed to put them on a 4x4 - I recommend replacing them immediately with anything else. MPG of course; 15 city 18 hwy(75-85mph) I can get 22mpg w/ cruise at 65mph but cannot bring myself to drive that slow.

Love my jeep
By mugsy44875

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have to say i love my jeep and am keeping it till it falls apart.
I have owned a 2005 bought used in 2005 with only 5000 miles on it and now has 56000 miles.
I usually only do city driving.
It wonderful in the snow.
The biggest downfall is the mpg.
Horrible! That would be the only reason not to buy one. Fun car to drive and small/compact. No major problems at all.

05 Jeep Lib Sport 2WD - Too many problems
By hate

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my '05 Jeep Liberty Sport new and for the first 2 years it ran great.
After that, it's been all down hill.
Since, I've spent $1,300 for a new A/C compressor, $300 for new brakes that still squeal, $2,800 for a rebuilt transmission, the CD player won't eject my CD and haven't gotten that fixed, a fuse that keeps blowing out my brake lights, a passenger side automatic window that cost $400 to fix, and now I have the rear latch that won't open that I need opened to get to the brake lights that have, once again, blown out.
I'm told this will cost $500 to repair.
I am FED UP with my '05 Jeep Liberty!!!!

Love my Liberty!
By jts14

2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Even though I have only had my Jeep Liberty for about 2 months, I already love it. I have a red 4x4 Sport with a 6 speed auto and the FAST, yes, i mean fast, 3.7L V6. You can easily pass 90 if you aren't careful! Interior is a bit bland but overall is comfortable and functional. Front seats are almost couch like but still offer enough support for long trips. Love the split trunk door. As for gas mileage, its no prius, but I still get about 18 combined, more than you can say for most SUV's. Almost forgot- you can't have the full jeep experience with out having some fun in the snow, and this sporty and rugged SUV doesn't disappoint. The AWD works effortlessly to plow through any pile of snow.

Swinging trunk door, 3.7L V6, Easy to operate part-time AWD, MPG, comfort, and versatility.

Interior could be spruced up a bit on the Sport Model, Window controls on center console instead of doors.

FRONT DRIVE SHAFT
By lam57

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Liberty RHD new in 2005 for my mail route.
I am on my 7th front drive shaft.
Instead of replacing U-Joints in the drive shaft you have to buy the whole shaft.
The rubber boot around it leaks dust which in turn ruins the drive shaft.
The back doors have such a poor wrap around design, the doors get frozen shut during any bad weather.
I have had to have the transmission rebuilt and have had numerous problems with the front end.
If I didn't need a RHD vehicle I would never recomend this vehicle.
Very expensive to maintain!