Used 2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews - 405 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Third entry
By winter2

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Nearly have 6K miles on my CRD. Has been trouble free save for the one incident at less than 600 miles. Has been flawless since then. Traveled to Florida and averaged 27.1 mpg for the trip. Ran like a dream and ran away a few times because I forgot to engage the cruise control. Seats are really comfortable and I was able to drive for long periods without pain or discomfort. A/C was great in Florida and had a nominal impact in fuel economy. Performance has improved with mileage. More pulling power than before.

Seats, visibility, improved handling with better tires. Brakes even better with some wear on them. Very easy oil change and maintenance.

Have the radio with six CD player and Infinity speakers. Very boomy sounding unless the bass is turned down. Daimler-Chrysler should force the oil companies to produce a higher cetane ULS diesel fuel.

Jeep Liberty Limited
By Cat6208

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I did a lot of research to find what automobile would suit my needs, and I was very excited when I bought my Liberty. Ten months later I can't wait to trade it in. I only get 16.5 mpg and I am cautious about putting my foot in it. There is a mysterious rattle in the back that drives me nuts, I put the radio up loud so I can't hear it. I also hate the way the transmission shifts ... very jerky. I also don't like that it reminds you that you need service every time you turn on your car (while having to wait for my oil change appointment). I also have put in a 3rd windshield because the smallest rock cracks the windshield. I had a Toyota before and never had a problem ... I'm definitely going back.

Heated seats, tire low gauge (the spare tire even has one!).

Transmission, windshield angle so it's not so vulnerable. The rattles throughout the car.

replacing great Jeep Grand Cherokee
By J King

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love it. I hope it holds up, I think parts and service could be costly with so few sold. $25.00+ for a fuel filter?

Power, power, cruise control.

Lumbar support, head lights, back up lighting , mileage.

'05 Liberty Diesel
By Barry

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I've only put a thousand miles on it so far, but the fuel mileage has been great. The 3 fill-up average is 25 MPG+, which includes town and highway driving. I've had it off-road a couple of times and it performed as well as my old CJ7.

Economical to drive (in spite of the high cost of diesel fuel), fun to drive, and does well off-road. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

Put better tires on them at the factory. Relocate the fuel filter to a more convenient location for easier access.

Stick shift, Fun and Economical
By movingalong

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

My wife and I are in our fifties and wanted a car that we feel we are driving instead of it driving us. We chose the 6 speed and discovered that we are averaging 20 MPG. A good share of our driving is between 40 and 50 mph. It seems that with a stick you can keep the RPM's lower (w/o lugging) and still have the HP when you need it. We are now at 8000 miles and just love this car.

The transmission has a very good feel. Quite quiet ride. I like the rear window and cargo door combo.

My wife would like some place to store a purse. Possibly if center cup holder and CD storage was removable, leaving a bin of some type.