Used 2005 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews - 406 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Jeep Liberty

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

They Can't Believe It's a Diesel
By trumpet_washer

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I have to tell most people that this is a diesel engine. The performance and fuel economy are much better than the 3.7L V6. Sure, there are some quirks to owning a diesel, but it isn't as much of a hassle as most think. Besides, this is a quite torquey little SUV with a 5000# towing capacity. And the 5 speed automatic with OD lockout is a great pairing for the Italian-made 2.8L turbo diesel. Shifting into and out of 4WD is easy. Even if the only off-road your CRD sees is a mall parking lot, you won't be disappointed with the truck in the least.

I like the spare tire mounted on the rear door. Most all controls are easy to reach and thoughtfully laid-out.

Splash guards should come standard all around. A tire choice other than the Goodyear Wranglers would also be nice.

Third entry
By winter2

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Nearly have 6K miles on my CRD. Has been trouble free save for the one incident at less than 600 miles. Has been flawless since then. Traveled to Florida and averaged 27.1 mpg for the trip. Ran like a dream and ran away a few times because I forgot to engage the cruise control. Seats are really comfortable and I was able to drive for long periods without pain or discomfort. A/C was great in Florida and had a nominal impact in fuel economy. Performance has improved with mileage. More pulling power than before.

Seats, visibility, improved handling with better tires. Brakes even better with some wear on them. Very easy oil change and maintenance.

Have the radio with six CD player and Infinity speakers. Very boomy sounding unless the bass is turned down. Daimler-Chrysler should force the oil companies to produce a higher cetane ULS diesel fuel.

Jeep Liberty Limited
By Cat6208

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I did a lot of research to find what automobile would suit my needs, and I was very excited when I bought my Liberty. Ten months later I can't wait to trade it in. I only get 16.5 mpg and I am cautious about putting my foot in it. There is a mysterious rattle in the back that drives me nuts, I put the radio up loud so I can't hear it. I also hate the way the transmission shifts ... very jerky. I also don't like that it reminds you that you need service every time you turn on your car (while having to wait for my oil change appointment). I also have put in a 3rd windshield because the smallest rock cracks the windshield. I had a Toyota before and never had a problem ... I'm definitely going back.

Heated seats, tire low gauge (the spare tire even has one!).

Transmission, windshield angle so it's not so vulnerable. The rattles throughout the car.

replacing great Jeep Grand Cherokee
By J King

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love it. I hope it holds up, I think parts and service could be costly with so few sold. $25.00+ for a fuel filter?

Power, power, cruise control.

Lumbar support, head lights, back up lighting , mileage.

'05 Liberty Diesel
By Barry

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I've only put a thousand miles on it so far, but the fuel mileage has been great. The 3 fill-up average is 25 MPG+, which includes town and highway driving. I've had it off-road a couple of times and it performed as well as my old CJ7.

Economical to drive (in spite of the high cost of diesel fuel), fun to drive, and does well off-road. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

Put better tires on them at the factory. Relocate the fuel filter to a more convenient location for easier access.