Used 2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews - 412 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Stay away from Liberty diesel!
By garbagediesel

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Thank god we leased this vehicle because the lemon law wouldnt cover the numerous different problems this thing has. We only had it 2 weeks before the check engine light came on and the nighmare began. It sat at the dealership for 3 weeks while they waited on a new egr valve. They got it and put it in only to go back 3 more times for 3 glow plugs and eventually a glow plug control module. All this before it had 7500 miles on. Fast forward 9 months later and the turbo explodes and takes out the new egr valve and strands my wife on the side of a busy road. We have Chrysler road side assistance so no problem, right? WRONG! It took them 33 ( yes thirty three) hours to tow it away. STAY AWAY!

class 3 hitch, good fuel economy

discontinue diesel, get better tow service

2 Yrs and counting
By pyt212

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Liberty CRD has been fun to drive for over 2 years. Fuel economy has been very good (last tank over 27 mpg). No problems whatsoever. Can't get it away from wife.

Fuel economy. 4x4 selection of part time, 4x4 High or 4x4 Lo. Like to control the transfer case myself.

Larger and more comfortable seating. Little more leg room for us normal size guys (6'4").

Best in class
By bassman

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Nothing in its class comes close! The others can't tow 5k lbs and can't go offroad. Great all around vehicle

Diesel low end torque!

The seats could be more comfortable.

Well loved Liberty
By Love my liberty

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

We have had our Liberty for about 2 months and I love it!We got the color that we wanted and a 6 speed manual transmission, which is rare. When we bought it, the reason was that I needed a small SUV with 4x4 for our lovely CO winters that sometimes play jokes on traffic. In the short time that we have had it we have only had a flat tire which was my fault. Our fuel economy has been wonderful!! Better than my husband expected at about 25- 29 mpg depending on how much I put my foot into it. It has also helped us get out on the weekends for family outings. Taking the dog is easy, too. Maybe we have great luck with this SUV, but it is well made and tons of fun to drive!

Small compact size, power for 4- wheeling and driving in traffic. Fuel economy!

Coin change holder, I don't have an ashtray to use change for...no big deal.

Nice to own
By Ian Neal

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Went on a trip just after buying the Jeep. I was impressed with the fuel mpg. It got 30 mpg on average. I had a small oil leak on the transfer case but got fixed under warranty. Other then it`s been fine. Put about 4500 km on that trip in one week with no problems at all.

The chrome package is great. The 17' tires are nice for the clearance. One other thing I liked was the the little drain spout under the oil filter so there no mess with oil going every wear.

Like most people the glove box is kinda small. More room in the back.