Used 2004 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews - 422 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Jeep Liberty

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

A true Off Roader for everyday
By Driven1

2004 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love my jeep. I put All terrain tires on it and there hasn't been much I can't get through. I have even done off-road courses with about 200 Wranglers, and I kept up with them. They all gave me high fives that I was using it off-road. It is also my daily driver. I have a Limited so it looks good and is a comfortable ride. IT has been my most favorite vehicle. Don't complain about the gas mileage, the vehicle weighs 4500 lbs and is built like a tank. I love the power it has and I have pulled about 10 people that were stuck this winter alone. Even a big 15 passenger van. This is not an Escalade, it is a great everyday, comfortable driver that can handle anything you throw at it.

Off-road capability, style, Overhead Computer on Limited, Turning radius is better than my Mini, very smooth even at 80+ mph. Rear tire mount, easy repairs, a lot of do-it-yourself capability.

They already made a new model, but it may have lost some of the off-road readiness, we shall see. The rear seats to fold flat have to have the headrest off, or the front seats forward.

Its a JEEP!
By Ba50mF

2004 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Ive always wanted a Jeep and this has not disappointed. I bought used with 32,000 miles on it. I've had the vehicle for 6 months now and it is excellent in the snow. Its comfortable and tall, but not too narrow of a wheelbase. The only drawback is gas mileage, but its a real suv not, a fwd wannabe. The 4wd is amazing. This is the 2nd 4wd vehicle I have owned and its excellent

4WD / Exterior Style / Sport look

gas mileage

Buy a warranty if you get a Jeep
By bryancos

2004 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our nearly new Liberty Limited in April 2005, with only 12K on the odometer. We installed a set of new tires two yrs ago, installed a new battery and new brakes one year ago. It recently hit the 80K mark and in the last three months, they replaced the High Pressure Power Steering hose, the Alternator, Water Pump, Serpentine Belt, and today a brand new Radiator and new Hoses was added to the list. Fortunately we had purchased an extended warranty so everything except hoses/belts/fluids was covered, but we had to pay a $50 ded. each time... Word to the wise... it's a Chrysler product and purchasing an extended warranty is well worth the money...

Practical AND Fun
By darkprince

2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Bought my Liberty Renegade used - 40k miles on it. There are some minor quirks to it I find annoying, but overall I love my Liberty! I found documentation in my owner's manual from the previous owner- apparently the transmission issue was handled by him (Thank You!). This Jeep is a ball to drive and handles better than any SUV I've ever driven. One note: Lose the Goodyear RS tires. They slip on wet roads; they won't get the opportunity to try snow/ice. No way!

Open cabin. My previous vehicle was an F-150, so a cramped cabin just won't do. This thing handles like a car and is surprisingly great off-road. Stereo on the Renegade package is wonderful.

Interior storage. Glove box is only storage inside the vehicle. Window controls on DOOR. Feel like I'm driving a 1987 Fiero with those stupid things. Stock tires are junk. How do they get $150 a piece for those things?

Way to go Toledo!
By Nate&Cheryl

2004 Jeep Liberty Columbia Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

We traded in my wife's Toyota RAV4 for this Jeep largely due to Toyota's poor customer service in Hawaii. I couldn't drive or ride in the RAV4 because it made me carsick for some reason. So the Jeep was a good trade. I must admit we spent way more than we should have since dealers in Hawaii are a big rip off! The only problem we have had with the Liberty was a flasher that went out last spring $38 part from the dealership and I put it in myself in under 20 minutes. I would prefer better tires than the Goodyears that are on it now. It's good to see that Jeep is still making a good product and keeping Americans employed in Toledo, Ohio. Thanks MOPAR for our family car.

4X4, 3.7 V6, interior is nice, good ground clearance, decent gas mileage for a 4X4, and good road manners

I would love it if Jeep would make this with a solid front axle, possibly a Dana 44. A Rubicon package would be sweet too. Stop putting Goodyears on them. Give it an actual glove box!!!