Used 2004 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews - 424 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Jeep Liberty

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

5 yrs old, 130K miles, and still going
By Amiee

2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Jeep Liberty. We bought it new from Carmax in 05 as a 'last year's model'. We've just done regular maintenance and kept good tires on it. We have towed with it and it handles well. I stand in agreement with the other owners that it does need a larger glove box. I have had to replace the 6-disc CD changer, but only after 5 years of reliable playing. The only thing I don't like is the fastener for the sun visors. It is in reverse from the standard position and makes it hard to unhook while driving. I have actually snapped off the hook 3 times. Minor, but irritating after 5 years. I'll drive my libby till the wheels fall off.

6-way power leather seats. Trip computer console with tire pressure, maintenance reminder, and programmable buttons.

Larger glove box and flip the hooks around for the sun visors.

LOVE the thing
By Lee

2004 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought mine new - Limited interior with the Sport exterior. Other than the transmission bogging down between 40-60 mph, it's been a pleasure to own & drive. Love it, love it love it & border collies look killer in it. <grin>

The beautiful black interior, the stereo controls on the steering wheel, the 2-tone look of the exterior (Sport package), the fact that I can fit 2 dog crates in it.

Why the rear seats don't fold flat when all the competition's rear seats do has always been beyond me. I made do with a wooden platform for dog crates. The transmission bogging down at 40 mph is a little wearing & (here I go with the caps) WHY did you put a "governor" on the stereo volume? HATE that.

perfect for active gal
By CindaLou

2004 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Jeep Liberty. It was my 3rd Jeep after the Cherokee Sport and Grand Cherokee. It has a great turning radius and allowed me to parallel park in small places near campus. It has alot of pep to merge onto freeways or pass others. I lived in Wisconsin where we get 12 in. of snow and my Jeep got me safely to my destination every time. 4x4 is easy to use. I use for camping and hauling my bike. Fit 3 little nieces and nephews in the back. I replaced brakes around 30,000, but was doing alot of city driving at the time. Replaced brakes again at 109,000. The only other repair was a new water pump and serpentine belt at 95,000 miles. I'm going to miss my Jeep when I switch to a car.

Sunroof

Don't care for the back door that opens out to the left. Prefer doors that open up like the Grand Cherokee did. Wish the back seats would lay down flat without heavy items on them.

Solid Vehicle
By Pete

2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought Jeep new in Jan 04. Had transmission issue shortly after getting it but was fixed under warranty and never had any further maint. issues at all. Just had to trade it in for van since 3 kids will not fit in it.Was great vehicle, made several long distance trips up and down East coast, and cross state trips. Had plenty of power, decent gas mileage avg @20MPG. Did my best to follow Manufacturers maint schedule. Besides hiccup with trans. had absolutely nothing go wrong with it at all. Held up very well was very happy with it overall and would recommend to anybody.Very fun to drive.

Was tough, and had really good turning radius. Reliability was awesome.Easy to maintain yourself.

Had poor interior lighting in rear of vehicle.

I will continue to buy a Jeep Vehicle
By dieseltech2010

2004 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love my jeep. It is a great family suv. I replaced the goodyear tires that were on it when i bought it, and put Mastercraft Courser A/T2 on it, and my wife and I have never really had to use the 4wd on it. Does job in the mud. Trans, Motor, Drivetrain heavy duty built. A oil change gets done every 3000 miles. The vehicle only had 34000 miles on it when i bought it in April 2008. MPG's good, could be better. I would absolutely recommend this vehicle to anyone, especially if you want a jeep that handles well, rugged 4wd. I do wash it every weekend, and wax it twice a month, and it still looks like new.

awesome stereo system. Heavyduty Built Powertrain, engine, transfer case, 4wd unit, interior, and the factory tint window.

gas mileage could be better