Used 2004 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews - 420 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Jeep Liberty

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

I will continue to buy a Jeep Vehicle
By dieseltech2010

2004 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love my jeep. It is a great family suv. I replaced the goodyear tires that were on it when i bought it, and put Mastercraft Courser A/T2 on it, and my wife and I have never really had to use the 4wd on it. Does job in the mud. Trans, Motor, Drivetrain heavy duty built. A oil change gets done every 3000 miles. The vehicle only had 34000 miles on it when i bought it in April 2008. MPG's good, could be better. I would absolutely recommend this vehicle to anyone, especially if you want a jeep that handles well, rugged 4wd. I do wash it every weekend, and wax it twice a month, and it still looks like new.

awesome stereo system. Heavyduty Built Powertrain, engine, transfer case, 4wd unit, interior, and the factory tint window.

gas mileage could be better

Great Overall - Mileage Could Improve
By pcmr57

2004 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased in September 2008 with 50000 miles(80000 km). Towing is rated for 5000lb which is impressive for it's class. I pulled about 3000 lbs with no issues with no trailer brakes. The 60/40 Full Time 4x4 mode is truly excellent in deep snow. It has good traction with Rear Drive Mode with snow tires as well. I've only put 12000 miles on it and the only things gone wrong are air bag control module and broken fan belt. Got a module on Ebay for $75.00. One recent tank I averaged 14 mpg(US) (17 imp) with mostly hwy miles. Best hwy mileage ever was 17 mpg(US) (21 imp) hwy on a full tank highway drive. Worst mileage was 10 mpg(US) (12imp) with all city driving in winter months.

Nice style. Tough engine and transmission. I read online comments from owners with 180000 miles and no problems. GREAT sound system! Very small turning radius for parking in tight spots. If you want a compact SUV that can tow a lot this is your rig. Good crash rating.

Mileage could be better. Not very fast for highway passing but acceptable. Pathetic glove box. Aluminum wheel coating chips easily if you live in ares where road salt is used in winter. Gas mileage single biggest draw back. Not the best rollover rating.

Love it!
By Lori

2004 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Jeep in 2004. It had 13 miles on it when I drove it out of the show room. It's very reliable and I had no major fixes. It now has 84K and still going strong. The ride is rough but I don't mind. All the other features make up for it.. Love My Jeep!

2004 Liberty Columbia Edition V6 4WD
By RCC

2004 Jeep Liberty Columbia Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Got it new. After almost 6 years and 80000 miles I still love this thing. It's a "trucklet", not a flimsy crossover and it's the best Jeep I've had out of 2 CJ's and a Grand Cherokee. I've replaced the crank position sensor, the crappy Goodyear tires, air filter, brakes and heater fan switch. I change the oil at 5000 miles and have never touched the front end. I wash it by hand regularly and wax it twice a year. It still looks, works and feels like new. It has part time 4WD, 3.73 axle with Trac Loc and since I put mud/snow tires on it, I hardly ever need 4WD, although my highway MPG dropped from 22 to 20. It's a cute, nimble, tough, fun little beast and I intend to drive into the ground.

Smooth, quiet ride. Torquey truck based V6. Heavy duty everything from drive train to body panels to interior fabric. Full size, outside spare tire on matching aluminum wheel.

A 5 or 6 speed automatic would be nice. The power door locks should have an auto unlock as well as auto lock feature. A heavier metal or composite oil pan; it's getting very rusty and will be expensive to replace.

Still loving it!
By KP in Ohio

2004 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my Jeep for 5-1/2 years, and gotta say -- it is a great vehicle to drive and own. It has gotten me through the worst snow storms in Minnesota and Ohio, and has only needed regular oil changes. It still has the original tires and they still have plenty of tread left on them. This one has heated seats -- an option I didn't ask for but it was on the model I bought. These are wonderful...will never own a car without it! This is fun to drive in all seasons, but gives you peace of mind in the snow. Both of our teenagers have learned to drive on this car, and we liked it so much we bought a 2002 for our oldest. It has towed our 18 foot boat cross country without a problem.

Leather seats, sunroof, 4 wheel drive, heated seats, window buttons on middle console, 3 programmable buttons for garage door openers

Bigger glove compartment box to hold info on car, bigger area to store sunglasses