Used 2003 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews - 325 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Jeep Liberty

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Jeep owner for life
By Amanda

2003 Jeep Liberty Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Jeep. I had a Cherokee and loved it too and when it came time to retire her, I needed another. Sadly, she went extinct and was replaced with the Liberty. I don't love the curved styling and wish they would have stuck with the "Traditional Jeep" style but its still a Jeep and it acts like one. Back seat not so comfy. Fun to drive. Great storage. Gas mileage sucks- about 15 mpg. No problems with reliability. Only maintenance performed so far- I don't expect anything major till about 100k. I would definitely buy another IF gas weren't such an issue. I am going to possibly trade her in, but it will be for her gas friendly sibling the Patriot. It's a Jeep thing and we know it!

Love the new body style. Make a hybrid and I'm sold on a new one!

Loved my Jeep but she is no more...
By Lisa

2003 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I absolutely loved my Liberty. Fun to drive, loved the moon roof, leather heated seats (especially in the winter time.) I have, however, rolled it. It rolled about 1.5 times. I just really wanted to say I would buy a Liberty again just for the simple fact that I walked away from the accident. The accident was only 5 days ago and I have very little pain, soreness but completely bearable. Granted, I was wearing my seatbelt and I am young. Felt safe and would recommend the Liberty.

Heated leather seats, various controls on steering wheels.

The placement of window controls took some getting used to, would like more storage space in center console and dash console. Better gas mileage. I was only getting 14-16 mpg.

Love everything but the gas...
By heather

2003 Jeep Liberty Renegade Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Absolutely love the Jeep! The ONLY thing I don’t like about my Liberty is that is guzzles more gas than a bowl of chili can produce. Living in Texas and having a family of chili lovers, that’s saying a lot! I have to fill up normally twice a week. I only work 8 miles from home and don’t do much traveling around as we tend to use my husband's Prius for everyday chores and still have a gad problem with the Liberty. I only get 14 miles to a gallon. NO LIE… check my bank account. Lol Otherwise it’s an excellent car. I have 45,500 miles on it and unless gas prices go down anytime soon (can’t see filling up my 14-16 gal tank at 5 bucks a gallon in this lifetime) then I plan on keeping my Jeep.

Cold AC, Light bar on dark roads, Window controls in the middle, Comfy seats.

Better gas usage.

Jeep Convert
By Anton

2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first Jeep, and it made a convert out of me. The engine has plenty of "pep" and it's ready to fly with the mere feathering of the gas pedal. The MPG is pretty decent - between 25 - 30+ after some ZMax. Which is fantastic for such a heavy 4x4. Heavy Northern Winters aren't a problem at all. I love to head out in conditions that keep the plows garaged and I've yet to get stuck or have to slow down. All in all, I love this Jeep more than anything and I plan on keeping it until it dies or is rusted beyond recognition. Plenty of ample cargo space as well, even if we only take up half a parking space in this little thing! Yet somehow it's very spacious on the inside.

Energetic engine, handling, comfort, style, MPG, yet to find Winter weather powerful enough to stop it, et al.

Would love a diesel option for even better MPG, make fog lamps standard, would love it in Dodge's Sunburst Orange!

Love it, but...
By Joni

2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Liberty Sport for about 2.5 years now and really like it. It is fun to drive and has a good deal of room.

I live the fact is has the power when you need it (V6).

Improve the mpg, with the current gas prices it is killing me to fill up. It costs anywhere from 45 to 50 bucks to fill the thing up. I am paying as much as the vehicle payment in gas each month! Maybe not as much, but pretty close :)