Used 2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews - 326 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Nothing but problems
By Diane

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought our Liberty new in 2003. After 2006, it has been nothing but maintenance problems. Issues with windows, door locks, blower motor, A/C compressor, Drive shaft. I could go on! This is only city and highway driving. I simply laugh when I see the TV commercials with a Jeep Liberty off road. Good luck with that! Can't wait to get rid of it.

Good for snow.

Use of quality parts would be a good start.

10k in 6 months and still amazed!
By Chris

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Liberty in the beginning of January, so far I have put 10,000 miles on it. I upgraded from a Geo Tracker, and I'll tell you what...Jeep are spectacular. The only issue I've had in 10,000m miles is that I had to replace the right rear brake caliper. The room inside is amazing. I am 6'2'' and there is probably another 5'' of room between my head and the roof. The only quirky thing about the liberty is the power winder controls for the front and rear passengers are all located on the center console. It's awkward but I've grown to love it.

The POWER!

Window controls on the doors. Fold flat rear seats. Better audio system.

Bought new, no problems for 6 yrs
By Sheylal

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new in 2003, replaced a snapped hood latch cable in 2008. Replaced original tires at 60,000 miles with Cooper and much quieter ride. Brakes changed twice. Battery died last month after 6 yrs. Right fog light burned out this week. Very reliable. Live in Northern lower Michigan lots of rain, snow and ice. Never any driving issues summer or winter. Trail ride weekly on two tracks and quad trails, drive to work Mon - Fri. Great ride, great handling. Front seats are not comfortable for long rides is my only complaint. I also own 2000 Jeep Wrangler which is fun but rougher riding. Liberty ride is carlike in 4 Wheel drive. Very Reliable.

Much more interior room / leg room than Jeep Wrangler, fit all your gear plus friends. Better car like ride for a 4WD than alot of SUV's I have rode in.

Seats need to be comfortable, the 2003 are hard, uncomfortable. Our 2000 Wrangler has better seats than this vehicle. Higher quality sound system and speakers. Factor speakers poor quality.

Always a jeep owner
By SEEKAUFF

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

80,000 miles on the first set of tires. Love the selec trac transmission. Absolutely no problems so far only routine maintenance. Love the heated seats and moonroof. Lots of storage space inside. Heater will cook you and A/C will freeze you. Had an 89 cherokee that I sold at 265,000 miles. Hoping to make this one last as long too.

Heated seats and Moon Roof

Improve fuel consumption/install larger fuel tank.

Great Vehicle
By Jeff C

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this 4 wheel drive 6 years now and plan to keep driving it until it dies. I would buy another one if they still made this body style. It has been a surprisingly reliable vehicle. I have never taken it to the shop for any repairs, just maintenance. (knock on wood) I just checked the milage and got 19 MPG in mostly city driving. I got 65,000 miles on the original tires.

It is a rugged 4 wheel drive that can go just about anywhere I need with my work. It has a tight turning radius and is very stable in cornering compared to the wrangler.

A better stereo maybe.