Used 2002 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews - 301 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Jeep Liberty

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

LOVED OUR JEEP!
By rili_ok

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We recently sold our 2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4 but only because we wanted to purchase a hybrid before gas prices rise again. We still miss it, especially when we see another one in town! The only mechanical work required besides regular maintenance and new tires occurred at the end of a vacation. It lost all power and wouldn't remain running, the locks were possessed, power steering gone, no radio, etc. It turns out it only needed a new battery! The only area that could use improvement is in highway handling (keeping it on the road). My husband had more difficulty with this than I did but sometimes it was exhausting to drive at 65 mph and above, especially if there was a crosswind.

Love the body style (much more than the new Liberty) & the 4WD is awesome! We drove in ice/snow in every state from Oklahoma to New Hampshire & back without any difficulty. Easy to manuever & great turning radius. Plenty of power & acceleration. Air cold, heater warmed up quickly.

Highway handling; rear hatch/door is hinged on left & would be more cargo friendly if window & door opened separate (window, up & door down)

Speed Sensor Defect
By becautious

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I had good luck with my Jeep Liberty for the first year that I owned it, but a year later the speed sensor went bad and I had it fixed. Four-five months later it went bad again-had it repaired. Four months later, bad again. At this time took it to manufacturing dealership for repair. $256 later and the following day, it went bad again!! I keep being told this is not normal on these models so maybe I am lucky enough to have gotten one with a manufacturing defect. It is pretty bad on gas mileage and can't wait to get a different vehicle. I was actually on my way to look at one, hoping to get good trade in value on Jeep when sensor went bad again. At 85,000 miles now.

Horrible Experience
By joshandjenn916

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Was great til 3 yrs later, even though we keep up on all maintenance on it. It started as problems with the engine light on, then started running hard and blowing blue smoke out the exhaust. The smog place gave us a report back with over 10 codes that was causing it to fail! We brought it to several mechanics and all agreed the engine was bad. Luckily I got in inheritance and we were able to pay 8,000 to put a rebuilt engine and some other minor parts in otherwise we'd have had to let it sit while we paid it off then junked it, and now the oil light still comes one even thought its not loosing oil pressure. Turns out its an electrical problem. My opinion, don't get a liberty. MPG also stinks.

Was the stylish look and the roomy inside, but after all the mechanical problems, I don't have a favorite. I'm just glad it at least still runs (8 grand later though!)

Better engine and better gas mileage! I was driving mostly freeway (and I'm not an aggressive driver) but still never got more than 17 mpg.

Sorry Jeep
By DannyH

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle was bought AS-IS and I tell ya i thought it looked ok and everything seemed cool even on the test drive. Well I was fooled, in the three years i owned it i spend just as much TRYING to repair it as i spend on the vehicle itself. Problems included, speedo, windows not closing, stalling on low RPMs, and more. Well the motor blew and i couldn't be happier. Thats right, happier to move on to none Jeep/Chrysler product. I bought a Ford Explorer XLT today.

Was fun for camping trip once.

Get rid of all of the sensors in the vehicle and the computer and go back to the old way, cables and gauges. The computer in this vehicle is terrible causing major issues. My 97 Grand Cherokee, same problems. Sorry Jeep, I always wanted a Jeep when i was a kid but I'm done with ya now.

Love my Jeep
By mrgee355

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love the style of my jeep liberty. i use to have road noise but cured that with less aggressive tires, when i bought it it had new tires but had aggressive thread on the tires i purchased from firestome leamans pathmakers tires and noise went away and still rough enough for off roading,i am 6' 4 lots head room which is what i love about it and plenty of leg room but not side to side i do feel a little cramped sometimes in the seats and the center counsel and door just use to a explorer i guess where i had more side to side room, wish there where lights to shine on the floor and glove box. i have 76,000 miles on this jeep bought with 59,000 lost a power steering pump thats it.

better side to side room even the 2009 did not improve this