Used 2002 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews - 301 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Jeep Liberty

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Amazing vehicle
By Anthony D

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this vehicle since August of 2003 and can only say it's INCREDIBLE. I've only had minor problems with it, a couple sensors that cost me about $35 each ( using my own CODE reader I got on ebay for $10 and finding the problem myself ) and installed in myself minutes. Fan belt started going at 19000, replaced free. Replaced muffler and front brakes so far at 100,000 and did ALL maintenance at the proper time. Doing this has kept it MINT, engine is almost new looking also as very little dirt gets in there. Since I installed a Hydrogen system ( 3 month process ) I'm getting about 5mpg better than before so no reason to get a smaller vehicle for Gas' sake. LOVE IT.

LTD version is a luxurious ride AND yet will get me places no car can go.

Wish styling went less "boxy" for new versions otherwise I'd upgrade.

I like it
By JimOH123

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have a BMW with performance tires, so I needed a vehicle to drive in the winter. Purchased this car with about 85k miles on the odometer. I love my Jeep and drive it more than the BMW. Love the driving position, looks and its maneuverability. Very few service complaints. I have never owned a vehicle with so many miles, yet it is still very tight and rattle free. Would consider buying another Liberty like this one with fewer miles if this one ever starts giving me trouble. A great value for a used vehicle.

short turning radius driving position great looks interior and exterior good sounds system great winter traction

gas mileage automatic should have more gears rear seats should fold flat

Trade it? The Wife says NEVER!!
By realmarshall

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Got this SUV with 60K has 125K now ZERO mechanical problems! I've have replaced brake pads, battery and Tires and changed oil like clock work. Never serviced tranny. The only problems i've had are more like annoyances than problems. I have a light out in my instrument cluster. I can still see everything but the 80 Mph mark is a little dim. At about 115K my AC/Heat fan control started only working on the highest setting and i haven't had the time to pull the console apart to find the lose connection. It still works great though it will cook/freeze you. Window control placement bugs cuz it's on the door in your other car your hand will go for the controls for the car that your not in everytime.

If you looking for a vehicle for an unconfident snow driver. Stop looking they don't get any better. With good tires it refuses to lose grip. Easy to use transfer case to go from 2 to 4wd on the fly. The wife refuses to consider the possiblity that she'll eventually have to get and new SUV. Loves it

Gets gas mileage you would expect from a v8. I get 17 every fillup squeaks out 20 if you keep under 75 on the freeway for the full tank. Now this is nit picking but I Wish the driver seat lowered further i'm 6'1" and can't always see the light change to green cuz the of low roof line. Door controls

Not sure what to think about my Jeep
By westcentralillinois

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Jeep in 04 used with 29,000 miles on it(now with 126k). I have loved it until last fall (2008), when the air & heat quite working. I took it to a mechanic late winter & after spending around $800 for a new thermostat, new switch, system flush, and then actuator & mode doors, it still didn't work. I took it to another mechanic, told him what the other did, & he went through it again & put another new mode body & actuator on it & isn't sure it will work. There has been no Jeep recalls on it or posts. I am at a lose. This is my 3rd Jeep, & I am a little frustrated with this issue. It has been paid for for awhile & I wasn't ready to trade it. Other than this it has been great!

I live on a farm and it is great for going across the fields and not getting stuck, hauling hay or a calf if necessary, great for pulling into small parking spaces and it feels very safe on the road. I had a grand cherokee and rolled it, & have been impressed with the way the liberty handles.

Better gas mileage. I get 17 mpg no matter what. Cheaper parts and better availability to those parts. Instead of having to buy the whole mode body, it would have been better and cheaper to be able to purchase some of the parts separately.

2002 3.7 AT 4 WD
By Dave

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new and now have 104,000 on the Jeep. Had been pretty reliable but am now having multiple engine problems. The Check engine light issue and mechanics have been unable to fix. Vehicle runs very rough.

Off road ability, build quality

Original tires (Goodyear) were awful. Engine layout / design is terrible. Very difficult to perform any type of engine repair. For example replacing the power steering pump is a nightmare. I will most likely never purchase another Jeep. (Maybe an old CJ for off road use.)