Used 2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews - 301 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Will NEVER Own A Jeep Again
By Jeep_Hater

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Jeep when it was 3 years old. At the time we bought it, the air conditioner was broken & the engine light was on, making it hard to get inspected in PA. Everything started going on it, the head busted twice, kept stalling at low RPM, window switches broke, door locks broke, gear shift stuck all the time, and the problems go on and on. Finally the engine blew, and I wasn't paying to get it fixed so it's sitting in my driveway if anyone wants it! I'll never own another Jeep as long as I live. We bought a 2008 Ford Explorer and just recently a Dodge Nitro praying we don't have problems with the Dodge like we did the Jeep.

Sporty, fun car to drive.

I don't know who put that vehicle together, but they must've been on something cause that was the worst vehicle I've ever owned!

JEEP/Liberty/2002- disappointing
By 2002 Jeep Liberty

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 3rd Jeep- bought all of them new. The Liberty is a 2002 and only has 54,000 miles. So far, had 3 batterys- two sets of tires, Air conditioning needed to be replaced, Exhaust System and Muffler needed to be replaced at 50K miles and NOW the Catalytic Converter needs to be replaced! NEVER drove off-road- looking at the miles, the truck is not driven that much at all-Well maintained, oil changes every 3000 miles. Do not understand the poor quality. Having owned Jeeps in the past I have something to compare this one with. Would like something to be done about this... Very disappointed with the rust under the Garage kept, barely driven SUV.

The look of the truck, the way it handles in the snow is good... unfortunately the repairs out-weigh these features. I fully understand wear & tear on a vehicle, but 54K miles??? Does not make sense.

IMPROVE the quality! Consumers are what keeps companies affloat...stand behind the product and produce a better product...there is a lot of competition out there.

Jeep Liberty
By zeppelinprncss04

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

My Liberty was purchased with 77000 miles on it and I am about 200 miles short of 100000 and its still running as well as it was the day I bought it. It has plenty of power and as a college student, I have plenty of cargo room to take stuff back and forth. It goes great in the snow/ice and in the mud! I love my liberty so much!

Aggressive styling (meatier than other jeeps...its taller and wider). I love my heated seats and power sunroof!!

Better gas mileage!!!!! Its rated 17/21 for the limited, but I only average 13/16.

Reliable and high mileage best car ever
By LovemyJeep

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Liberty in 2007 and it has been the best car I have ever owned. When I bought the Jeep it had 100K on it but I was on a limited budget and purchased an extended warranty. I never even had to use the warranty. I have not had 1 problem with this car! I have put over 40k on my Jeep and it is still more reliable than any car I've ever owned. I wouldn't be scared to drive this car anywhere I had to go on the spur of the moment. If you're nervous of how many miles a Liberty can get on it- I am at 143k and still going strong!!!

The 4wd is a lot of fun and it feels like a very safe ride. I actually did have a small fender bender which caused the other car $2500 in damage and my Jeep didn't even get a scratch on it!

The gas mileage could use a little bit improvement and I also do not like the cloth on my seats- they stain when even water gets on them. I have shampooed them and the gray still seems dark. Aside from that this Jeep is perfect. I will definitely be buying another!!!

Built to be Reliable
By tgflash

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Renegade 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Jeep Liberty in 2002 and have placed at least 110 miles on at least 4 days a week ever since. It's been a very reliable vehicle and seems to be built for longevity. I have approx. 144,000 miles on it now and hope to take it all the way to 200,000. It's well maintained, which I think makes all the difference with any vehicle. it's not a luxury vehicle by any means, but it's good for everyday driving. Not the greatest on gas!

sunroof, cd player, 4WD

needs better mileage, more room in cargo area, and back seats that fold flat