Used 2002 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews - 301 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Jeep Liberty

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Run from it as fast as you can!
By 1hotrod

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our 2002 Liberty fall 2009. Fixes in 2 1/2 years ...Water pump and radiator $800.00+, Rear Deferential seal and door hinge $300.00+,
Front struts and rear shocks $600.00+ and i did the labor myself, a rocker arm fell off and caused engine damage (a common problem in all Liberty's still!) $2100.00+, Eats front brakes and rotors, Interior lights come on and go off by themselves, Lower ball joints break (factory recall) Fuel mileage sucks. Tranny does a goofy shifting thing going down the interstate at cruising speeds. (I don't know the cause of the shifting issue.) All this before or by the time it was a 10 year old vehicle that was well maintained. My first and LAST Jeep/Chrysler!

Fun to drive when you can drive it! It's a good looking vehicle and that's about all it has going for it! Makes a nice and expensive yard ornament!

Make a vehicle worth buying Jeep/Chrysler. Chrysler could at least stand behind their vehicles. They know the rocker arms are a problem. Provide what it takes to fix it, not sell me back a remanufactured head from some other sucker who flipped a rocker arm.

Great Vehicle
By hoffdog

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car off a 3-year lease in March 2005, so I've had it for 7 years. It's been a great vehicle! I've put little to no money into it, just your normal oil changes, tires, tuneups, ect. The only issues I've had with it is the AC and the rear window defogger. The AC hasn't worked since about 2007, I've tried fixing it numerous times with no luck. Same thing with the rear window defogger, no luck fixing it. It has never broken down on me. My only major complaint I have is the gas mileage, I can only get about 17-19 on the highway. But, I knew that when I bought it so I shouldn't complain.

Reliability, sound system, looks.

Not very comfortable, kind of small for leg room.

Love this car!
By postone25

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have had two 2002 Libertys. A blue sport that I wrecked about a year ago. It was my first car. It had under 100k miles on it and ran like a dream. I had a back window part replaced due to the window not staying up and the ac fixed one time but that's it. My accident was my fault not the car's. My new Liberty, a black limited 4x4 of the same year is leaking and the ac has broken on it numerous times. I miss my original one and hate the mess ups with this one. Overall, as a brand and a car, I love them and never regret getting one.

I like it cause it fits my needs as a college student. It has enough space for me to take all my things to school without my parents. It is also reliable.

Other people hate the placement of the window switches. It doesn't matter to me. I wish it got better gas mileage. It hurts my bank account.

engine light
By oma31093

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2002 Jeep liberty as a pre owned car. Older lady drove it. So far we had no major problem except the engine light stays on. Took it to auto parts store did test and it said fuel cap. replaced that 3 times. Nothing. took it to dealer same result,they checked the car and found nothing told me fuel cap again. Bought another cap from them and light is still on. At 114000 miles it seems to start taken more and more gas..wet roads are also not a good thing. other then that I like to drive it and its been a good car so far

Room

fixing problem on wet road performance and the engine light issue

Biggest Complaint, Gas Mileage
By novarene

2002 Jeep Liberty Renegade 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Everything about this SUV is great. It is very maneuverable and short enough to park in tight spaces. Never had a problem with it that I didn't cause. I have it lifted 2.5" and I would definitely recommend lifting it, it looks way better and handles better. The only thing they could have done different is that they could have put a 4.0 or a V8 in it because the 3.7 is a little small for the Liberty's weight. I would say if they had matched the engine with the weight the Lib would get far better mileage. This is a great SUV that can handle just about anything you through at it. I would definitely recommend it to anyone used, but you have to get a mechanic to look at it beforehand.

4x4 ability, fairly comfortable, drives like a jeep, maneuverability.

engine is too small for weight, therefore sub-par MPG, still good torque.