Used 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews

Used Grand Cherokee for Sale
Select your model:
12345...44

Pros
Cons
4 out of 5 stars

Great car but trans lever is horrible!

Phil, 07/20/2016
Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Just got the car this week. Our old 99 grand Cherokee was on life support. The 99 had served its purpose, hauling, towing, winter driving, but had been troublesome from day one. Reads lots of reviews and it appears things have improved. Got a 2014 with 28k miles, v6, 4wd. Drives nice, quiet, plenty of power and tows our boat very well. Loads of nice features. The car has a heavy, solid feel. But the damn shift lever! What is that about? It's a ridiculous design and it takes total concentration to get the thing in D or R. Maybe we'll get used to it in time. Update Have put about 10 k miles on this car. Still hate the shift level and the fussy dash screen for climate, radio controls. The screen died and dealer had to reprogram the thing. Great car for traveling, hauling and towing. Base v6 and 8 speed trans are excellent match. Very solid car, no squeaks or rattles, very quiet cabin. At 70 mph the car is quiet as a tomb. We have the base model, didn't want all the confusing and troublesome digital stuff but memory seat adjustments would be nice as wife and I are so different in size. Otherwise the car is very nicely equipped for a bottom line model. I would recommend this car. Interested to see how it holds up long term. Pretty good so far. Update About 30 k miles now. No problems. Car is still solid, no problems, squeaks or rattles. Still impressed with base power train, V6 with 8 speed TRANS works flawlessly. Still do not like fussy shift lever and touch screen for climate and sound system, but would highly recommend this car. Great for towing and traveling. Update: About 42 K miles now. Just got a recall,for cruise control fix, reprogram the module. No other problems. Still really dislike the shifter. This is a great car for towing, hauling, traveling but it does feel big and heavy. For around town driving I prefer our Chevy equinox. Update: The Jeep is used mostly for towing our boat which it does easily, probably 3000 lbs. The base v6 and 8 speed trans is a surprisingly stout drive train. I put snow tires on in the winter and it does great in northern Michigan. Just now getting an annoying rattle in the dash somewhere but otherwise no problems. Still hate the fussy shifter and dash touch screen. It’s like trying to text while driving to change the HVAC settings. Update Jeep has about 50 K miles now. No problems. Just took 1200 mile trip, car performed flawlessly. Still hate fussy dash, shifter and keyless ignition but no escaping that junk in cars now I guess. Still impressed with base v6 power train. It will haul ass on the slab and tows like a truck.

2.25 out of 5 stars

Fluke or Flaw?

konigstiger, 06/18/2013
Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Bought brand new on April 5. While driving home, 'Service Air Suspension System Immediately' light went on. Returned it, it was 'fixed', on way home it again went off, and kept going off, sometimes 3-4 cycles worth. Back to dealership. When dropped off, had 1060mi on it, 360 of which were spent back and forth for repairs. They have had the Area Tech look at it, and also gotten the Engineering & Parts Development Dept's involved, as well as the company that designed the suspension system. No luck, Has been there a combined 3 weeks for same problem. Beware: When Jeep has problem, it becomes yours too. Case is now in hands of settlement team, but nothing is moving forward. Can you say lemon?

Waste of Money

lamontmotley, 01/23/2014
Laredo 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I purchased my Grand Cherokee in July of 2013. I have the 2014 model. Since the beginning this car has been problems. Originally it was said that the system was new, that is why no one had any real knowledge on what to do when I had a problem. I have taken it in 8 times only for them to find one or two problems. The rest they said they can fix if it is not acting up at the time. I have had issues like the sunroof being stuck open, the dashboard going out, transmission not shifting correctly, radio went out, buttons on door won't lock them, just to name a few. I wish I had know then what I know no, I would have saved my money and my time. If you are in the market for a car this is not it.

4 out of 5 stars

Great looking, not so great to drive

dpkimball, 04/03/2014
Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

We leased our Grand Cherokee in June 2013, and so far have not been impressed. Granted, the car is great looking, comfortable, and the interior is top notch. That being said, the transmission in this car is a nightmare. Shifting up and down through gears 1-3 is like riding in car with a 16 year old kid that is learning to drive a stick shift. It slams and lurches in and out of gears, almost to the point of being embarrassing when we have friends or guests in the car. It never seems to know what gear it's supposed to be in while driving. I'm glad I leased, and that in two years I'll be able to hand over the keys to the dealer instead of being forced to keep this car long term. It's already been in twice for multiple warranty issues. UPDATE: we ended up buying out our lease 9 months early and traded the car in for a Toyota 4Runner. Too many warranty issues, many of which we were stuck on a waiting list for parts. Couldn't be happier with the 4Runner and happy to be rid of the Grand Cherokee. We were so excited when we bought the Jeep, and it was a colossal disappointment. UPDATE 2: So happy to have the Jeep gone and the 4Runner in my garage. Ten months of ownership into having the 4Runner and couldn't be happier.

1 out of 5 stars
1 out of 5 stars

8 speed trans

loc1183, 05/16/2014
Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Well I never thought I would have to write a review. After working for Chrysler for 42 years and driven nothing but Chrysler producst I'm about to change. I purchased a 2014 Jeep Overland and have had to return it to the shop several times for transmission problems. Trans is a 8 speed and it really sucks. Jerks forward to approx. 2800 -3000 rpm. when starting out. When merging into traffic no response when accelerator is pressed then jumps into passing gear. Thought I was back in the sixties again. Dealership tells me that it is the characteristic of that vehicle. Well when you buy a $50000.00 vehicle you kind of expect everything to be right. Ok I think I'll try a Ford.

2 out of 5 stars