Used 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews - 195 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

I will miss my GC
By Joshua

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I bought a 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited with the Luxury II package in early 2017. It had 38,000 miles on it and was in excellent condition. I traded in a 2016 civic that I only had for 6 months. I wanted something more spacious. It was between the GC or a 4Runner and after comparing features and price, the 4Runner was out. I drive a lot, about 30,000 miles a year, I go on several road trips and I loved the fact that I could just lay the rear seats down and let me dog back there. I read about the horrible transmissions in these but mine never seemed to be an issue. In fact, I never put a dime into repairing anything on this car in the almost 2 years and 40,000 miles i owned it. But the warranty ran out, and I felt the transmission “messing up” a lot more often than I had ever noticed. So I went looking at brand new GC. That was out of the question. With a change in my career I decided I needed something better on gas for my traveling, so I traded my Jeep in for a 2018 Sonata Sport 2.0Turbo. I will miss every feature of this Jeep (especially the ventilated seats). If your thinking of buying one of these, find one with low miles, that someone has taken care of. These cars do not take abuse or neglect well.

BEWARE OF THE DIESEL
By Amy

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Dealerships need to tell consumers that the DIESEL engines need to be highway driven regularly or there will be problems with the exhaust system. I commute daily about 20 minutes and it is a lot of stopping and starting. This is horrible for the newer diesel engines! I found out the hard way (paying $200 at the dealership) for something that should happen automatically if it were driven at highway speeds for extended amounts of time. The exhaust filters need to reach a certain temperature in order for them to perform what is called a regeneration, basically burning away the soot from the engine. If the temps are not met, the filter clogs and the engine goes into “limp mode”. It then will not accelerate properly and only reach 30-40 mph. It basically forces you to go to the dealership for a forced regeneration. That cost me $195 and is not covered under warranty. Oil changes are also costly, roughly $160. These vehicles are wonderful for long commutes but the “around town” driver needs to stay clear.

Beyound All Expectations
By G Rob

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Summit 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

What can I say it's only been to the dealer for oil changes and updates. By the way it's a Grand Cherokee Summit Turbo diesel.

Terrible Diesel engine
By Daryl

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Multiple returns to dealer for problems with Diesel engine. Towed to dealers twice. Plus a vacation interruption because it went into limp mode. At a dealer now for past two weeks 200 miles from home. Multiple visits for engine light being on. Injectors replaced once. Catalytic converter replaced once. Many more problems. The engine does perform great when not in shop.

What can I tell you, it’s a JEEP
By Dan Getchel

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

With the exception of normal repairs, my Grand Cherokee has had no major problems. Having said that, it’s the first vehicle that I have ever owned that had to have the rear brakes replaced before the front. I’ve replaced the rears twice and the fronts once. My biggest complaint: $287.00 to replace the 2 LED’s over the rear reg plate so it could pass state inspection. A lot of money to replace 2 light bulbs. Other than that it has been a solid vehicle and I intend on keeping it for at least another five years, mostly because it’s paid for. Select a year isn’t working, I bought it in 2013.