Used 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Chryslers new 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 engine is garbage
By sadconsumer

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our 2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4X4 in December 2010 and it has been in the shop on and off for weeks since be bought it, with major engine related problems. It only has 13000 KM on it and it blows black smoke out of the exhaust when it is started and sounds like an old diesel engine when it runs. The front crankshaft pulley came apart grinding the remaining pulley against the engine block (Chrysler called it "engine crankshaft damper problems" and "harmonizer balancer issues") and most recently the engine was "pulling in too much fuel" and Chrysler informed us the oil separator and PVC valve would need to be replaced. The gear shifter has broken, and further damaged by the dealer 4 months ago and still has not been repaired due to "a lack of replacement parts" and the engine has had declining performance since about 5000KM. We didn't just get a lemon because we found out that in fact other 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 engines have come in with the same problems and there have been technical service bulletins released by Chrysler on these issues on other Grand Cherokee's. This engine is scheduled to go into many more models in 2012 and I would strongly recommend to avoid this engine at all costs. Chrysler supposedly spent years developing this new engine and have high hopes it will pull this automaker out of financial ruin but they should have spent a little more time because it is full of problems and will no dought cost anyone unfortunate enough to buy one a fortune. Chrysler hasn't been willing to do anything to help and we continue to have out of pocket costs add up.

Looks good but runs terrible. If you just want to park it in your yard and look at it, it is great but if you plan on driving it, forget it, as this is beyond what it can handle. Oh ya, the stereo sounds good, since there is no road noice in my driveway.

Ditch the 3.6 liter Pentastar V6 engine it is unreliable and full of major flaws. Chrysler needs to learn how to provide customer service. Chrysler should just go out of business and save thousands the unpleasant experience of buying one of their poor quality vehicles. This new 3.6 liter Pentastar V6 will likely be the final nail in Chrysler's coffin. Thank heavens.

A Story of Disillusionment
By suvs_ftw

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Spec-wise and value-wise I was really looking forward to the 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland as a replacement to my 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited. Instead, I was REALLY disappointed at the dealership today when I saw it and drove it! I was horrified to see that the wonderful Inferno Red finish was trimmed all the way around in cheap black plastic, ugh. A $46K vehicle trimmed in black plastic, who the $%^& in the design shop thought THAT was a good idea ?!
I thought maybe it could be redeemed with a test drive of its 5.7L Hemi-V8 though. Yet again I was horrified. This behemoth with a 360hp/390lb-ft powerhouse felt so sluggish it felt like a small V6 with bad turbo lag, awful, just awful.

N/A

Get rid of the cheap plastic exterior trim! Tune the 5.7L Hemi-V8 to be that instead of a weak V6 ! Develop a 6-spd or 8-spd AT for this vehicle. Replace the small round fog lamps with LEDs ala SRT8. And at least OFFER some aggressively designed wheels over the sad, sedate ones.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Review
By carsrule444

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

The 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee is an important vehicle for Chrysler. Under its new FIAT ownership, Chrysler has kicked up everything a million notches in performance, safety, looks, quality, reliability, design, and fun in this new Jeep. borrowing parts from the next-generation Mercedes-Benz M-Class, The new Jeep is much more composed, agile, and fun to drive while retaining it's extreme off road capabilities. Engines offered are a 3.6L Pentastar V6 with 290 hp and 260 lb-ft of torque. it's a strong engine, but when put in a car over 4,000 lbs, well, not so much. The optional 5.7L V8 with 360 hp and 390 lb-ft of torque pulls effortlessly for 0-60 under 7 secs. overall this car is truly perfect.

optional QUADRA-LIFT air suspension, Selec- Terrain system, rear seat entertainment, optional sub-woofer, navigation system, everything else offered in the car!

Do avoid the bronze paint job with forest green interior. it looks like poop painted on the Jeep inside and out.

Best mid-sized SUV
By davo7

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my 11 Grand Cherokee Limited for about 8 months now, and I absolutely love it! This Selec-Terrain system is Amazing! I have never had a vehicle to drive any better in the snow. I live in the mountains of Kentucky and a 4x4 is mandatory! This vehicle is equally luxurious as my families new Lincoln Navigator.
The ride is excellent and handling around the curves and twists is better than any SUV I have driven. I traded in a V8 Saab 97-X and the only thing that i miss is the extra power from GM's 327 engine. The Jeep's V6 is alright, but the high geared transmission makes it slow on take off, but give it a little time and it will fly!! Super Vehicle, highly recommended!

Love the Selec-terrain system! Navigation, leather seating, panoramic sunroof, HID auto leveling headlights, and the 20" wheels.

Only complaint...improve take off power of the V6, and let the panoramic sunroof go all the way back! (not just half way)

4 weeks and 4300 miles....great vehicle!
By capt_flounder

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Limited with Hemi about a month ago and promptly moved coast to coast.
It is a comfortable, well equipped SUV and our first new vehicle in 17 years.
We drove the LR2/4, Q5, XC60/90 and ML350 before buying the Jeep.
The Jeep has the ride of the Germans, the Offroad capability of the British and the styling of the Americans.
Without a doubt, the best capability/performance/value out there today.
After a week and 2800 miles, I know we picked a winner.

- Ride. Firm without being harsh. Great driving vehicle, especially considering the ride height and weight which don't usually help. - Features. There are some hidden surprises here! Towing a 4x8 trailer in very strong winds I realized that the vehicle was not being blown around. The stability control and anti-sway logic is simply amazing. - Appearance. I have the blackberry pearl and when clean it looks simply amazing. Other drivers notice. - Giant sunroof. The panaromic sunroof totally changes the interior. - EVIC. I like the ability to monitor temperatures, especially when towing. The interface is a little cumbersome especially for the trip odometer but still a nice feature.

- More speeds the in transmission. Although the 5 speed works fine, a few more speeds would help mileage and performance. - Speaking of, mileage is about what you'd expect although I was pleasantly surprised on flat terrain. You can beat the estimates, but you have to drive like you're driving a hybrid to get the ECO light to come on (cylinder deactivation) - iPod interface is not very good. Starting over each time you select something is awkward. - Give me printed user/owner manuals! I like the owner manual app, but please don't make us call/write to get the full blown version. The internet is not going to help me if I'm on the side of the road.