Used 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews - 152 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Just bought the used 06...its 2010 now!
By Melissa

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I just purchased the Laredo 65 yr anniversary edition. Its a great looking car. I like all the features. I've heard jeeps drive rough so I didn't expect to much comfort before test driving. I'm pretty content with it. However, I've had it for 2 days and I'm noticing some no-nos already! The problems I'm seeing already is the low tire pressure light comes on at random. But the big thing is the seat belt light comes on and chimes through out the entire ride even with my seat belt on and nooo weight in the passenger seat! I'm in the process of getting it fixed (hopefully), but I just wanted to put those problems out there just in case somebody else had the same issues

The chrome colored molding on the side of the car instead of that terrible dull plastic. The sun roof. The cruise control on the steering wheel.

Radio adjustments on the steering wheel. Aux hook up for an ipod!

I Love it, but...
By Sean

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Many publications rated Acura MDX and Nissan Pathfinder better than the '06 JGC. We preferred the ride of the JGC but bought an MDX. Two years later, we traded the MDX in for the JGC Overland in order to pull a 26' trailer/RV. The JGC had a noticeably smaller cargo area in the hatch and a tad smaller backseat, but that aside absolutely LOVE driving our JGC... BUT, there have been problems. In 2008 our powersteering pump went (under warranty), in 2009 our starter went (not covered), and both the hood and the hatch hydraulics are shot. Chrysler has a reputation of being the poorest North American manufacturer and this is apparent as these issues shouldn't happen in a newer vehicle.

The drive of the vehicle, acceleration, handling, front seat interior.

Controls for the ceiling mount DVD in the front seat area would be great. It's a problem trying to get movies going for the kids from the front seat. Overall better quality of parts!!!! Aside from my power steering and starter issues,I love the Jeep but will likely not buy another Chrysler product

its awesome
By PRINCESS

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I just recently bought an 06 Grand Cherokee, traded in my 05 that had nothing but problems. the 06 seems to do just fine it's only got 15,000 miles on it bought it with 14,000 it drives way better than the 05 i don't know what the difference in 1 year can make but let me tell you it did. i love jeep and i don't think i can ever drive another vehicle again...i understand the "It's a Jeep thing you wouldn't understand"

my heated leather seats and my ipod hookup...its an awesome feature!

nothing i love it just the way it is.

Stick a fork in me: I'm done
By Jeff B.

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Loaded. Immaculately maintained My second Jeep. (Wife likes her new 2nd Liberty. FWIW, her well maintained old one blew a head at 113,000, w/ no warning, but TG after she traded). Jeep can't build a damn tranny to save their life: this is my second (previous 2001) to trash the entire Quadra II tranny ($3500, each time). This one did it while I was saving up for a new evaporator ($1300) for the AC. I though my old BMW cost a bunch to maintain, but nothing on it "just broke": they wore out. Repeated drive line issues, ac problems and others make me wish I'd bought a Subaru/almost anything else. Helpful dealer. Awful car. Priced trade value on Edmunds: can you say "abandon ship?"

Strong engine, good seats holding up well, love the size and relatively good maneuverability for an SUV.. Jeep did a good job meeting design goals.

Transmission is pathetic. Has ANYONE else ever heard of an AC evaporator failing in only 3 years? (I mean shot, "holes like it was hit with a shotgun" were the techs words). I'm 54 and have had a lot of nice cars: this one is the worst car purchase I've ever made, reliability wise, including used.

Bad Gas Mileage 3.7l v6
By ted

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased This jeep off a lease with with 24k on it was hoping to get at least 18 to 20 mpg on the highway, best I've gotten is 16.9 average and now it has dropped to 14.7 mpg, also wouldn't shift into reverse right away sometimes. Dealer said it was some kind of faulty shift mod, and supposedly replaced but it still acting up, Just had it in for oil change and noticed the transmission pan was all wet with fluid but we couldn't tell exactly where it was coming from maybe a bead seal on the pan, I have my eye on it. overall I love to drive the jeep.

leather seats really nice,handles really well.

should have a dip stick to check trans fluid levels, gas mileage.