Used 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 184 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Do not buy a Jeep
By Eric Schuster

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

We purchased this Jeep because my wife fell in love with it and we had a little one on the way. Guess what. I recently went to turn our baby seat front facing. It will not fit on right or left sides- has to be in the center. The headrests are NOT removable and at such an angle that they prevent the child seat from being installed at the right angle. Not to mention the gas mileage has been no better than 14.5 (mixed driving) and 15 hwy. Good news is that it does not seem to change if I am towing or not! I do not think cylinder deactivation works either. Also we have had so many wind leaks and noises. To sum it up- WHAT A MISTAKE! Poor engineering, high price and unsafe for my baby!

Power- at least it moves!

Fix the rear seat for babies! Fix the gas mileage - in this day and age it is costing way to much for a daily driver!

DO NOT BUY a Grand Cherokee
By Jeff

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

And this is from somebody who has only owned Jeep products and going back to 1993. Mine is an 06 Hemi Limited with 29,000 miles now. 2nd day I owned it had to be towed away on a flat bed. The electronic throttle control went out. At 17,000 miles both differentials needed to be rebuilt. Drive shafts replaced for vibrations, memory seat work when it wants to. Passenger side window wont go up without a fight sometimes (window regulator) Engine ticks, transmission clunks, cannot be driven at 65 mph since the tranny cant make up its mind. The dealerships are complete scum and constantly try to get out of warranty work. You must fight them on everything. $44,000 msrp and now worth $15K

exterior design, Quadra Drive2 and power of engine

This is not a fluke. This is "normal" do not buy ANY Chrysler product. Even the new rentals I've driven (lots) are junk. A new Dodge Ram almost got me killed in an intersection when it momentarily stalled out. Do not buy a Jeep unless its a 96-01 box Cherokee. They are bomb proof.

love my 65th edition
By lo123

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 65th edition back in Sept. 2006. I absolutely love it. The only thing I don't love is the gas mileage especially with gas at $4 a gallon. I don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon though. I only need to fill up every 2 weeks since most of my driving is local. I don't mind the plastic interior. I actually like it because it makes it easier to clean. I had a 2001 Jeep Cherokee which I also really enjoyed. I love having the extra features on the Laredo that are included with the 65th edition. I really enjoy driving my jeep!

I love my adjustable pedals, sun roof, and especially my heated seats!

I wish the CVT wasn't so jumpy. Gas mileage could definitely stand to be improved!

Nightmare Vehicle!
By Sam

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my vehicle (used) in November of 2007. It has only been 8 months and I have had it in the shop 4 times already! 1st with the radio and heater, 2nd with the transmission, 3rd time with the transmission AGAIN, and now it's the a/c and shocks. I WILL NEVER IN MY LIFE PURCHASE ANOTHER JEEP. I have had nothing but trouble. And the gas mileage is even worse. I only average 15.3 HWY! Now I'm stuck with this piece of garbage for 5 years!!!

The only thing I like about this vehicle is the smooth ride.

Better gas mileage. bigger seat belts in the back seat. and just a more reliable vehicle would be nice.

Worst car I ever bought
By GLENNS

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

This car has been in the shop for shutting off while driving multiple times, rubbing noises when braking, windows not working properly, mirror has to be replaced, car still stutters periodically, manual locks had to be fixed. Until reprogrammed, car would stall when you hit a bump. Would NEVER buy another jeep. Horrible investment. Check resale value before purchasing.

Handles real well in windy weather. Heavy enough to not sway too much.

Interior needs updating. Seats not very comfortable.