Used 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 447 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Its been great!
By ksgirl1

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Wow! I was surprised at so many negative reviews I felt I had to share my experience. I am the original owner of my Jeep and currently have 88K miles. I have had no signifigant problems. At about 85K the liftgate has started to not stay in the up position but the parts online are under $100 and we plan to fix this. We have also had the plastic break a bit on the rear doors behind the handle but I think this could also be due to my kids hanging on it. Again that was over 80K miles. Mechanically it has been great.
have the Nav and it has been great to. I have loved it so much that I have decided to buy a Commander since we are outgrowing this. I love it

Rain sensor wipers, automatic high beams, NAV, Blue tooth, heated seats, memory one and 2 on the seats, comfort, dark carpet on the floor (a must with kids), sunroof, folding seats, handling, love the way it looks. Rugged but sophisticated.

Plastic on the doors could be better.

Wanted to love it
By beach987

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

This car is amazing... when it's working right. I've had so many problems, cracked axle (seriously), new tires at like 50,000 miles, transmission computer glitches, had to replace the stereo system, new shocks, and now the instrument cluster is the latest. I've put way more money into this car than it ever was worth. And I love it, taking it off road was awesome, but I was always freaked out that something would happen to it, almost too much to enjoy it. Honestly I can't wait to trade it in for something more reliable.

Not Again
By nojeep

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Sorry to say I wouldn't buy again, imput shaft broke off transmission at 36K. cover by warranty.
Had to replace electronic shifter module 4 times
which they covered under 7\70000 now it needs
a 5th. one and they won't cover it for some reason and it only has 61k and will cost almost $1000.00 and this is a safety problem try pulling into traffic and your jeep stops. p0700 code replaced water pump at 56K. Mopar just lost a 40 year fan because of this. To bad because believe or not I really liked my jeep. If you want to spend $1000.00 ever 12k-14k for a shifter module go ahead and buy one.

electronic shifter module

Cheap materials
By Dann

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Change battery twice, the 4 doors panels are made from a very cheap plastic and break easy cost to repair 4 doors almost $2000, front panels each $640 rear each $ 420, factory won't help or accept the bad quality, never will buy a Chrysler again was my first and last.

Improve interior quality materials

Transmission
By Mikelamb

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Why does it seem that i have to fix the transmission in my Jeep every year. It's always the shift modulator. My buddy just got a Jeep of the same year and drove it off the lot and when he got in his drive way it did the same thing as mine. Transmission light came on and you cant switch to manual shifting. i think Jeep needs to get me a new transmission.

There isn't much but space.

Better fabric for the seats. It seams like if I get one little drop of water on the seat it stains. Maybe a better material than plastic for the interior. Take a look at VW or Lincoln, Very nice material. I feel like I'm in a Lego. And of course a better transmission.