Used 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 447 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

My 3rd Jeep
By Jason in Denver

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is my third Jeep, the first was a Wrangler, great Jeep, the second a Cherokee, didn't last. This one has been great so far, gas mileage in heavy city driving has been 14mpg so not the best, highway 20mpg. But I do jackrabbit starts so I'm not surprised by the mileage. Otherwise the interior is great and the features the Limited comes with are awesome. From my experience with Jeeps, always change the oil about every 3k miles, but besides that reliability should be good. We've owned foreign cars as well and they seem to take more abuse but if you stay on the maintenance the Jeeps are fine.

Full time 4x4, Bluetooth, heated seats, driver seat memory (Pilot doesn't have it).

Longer warranty would probably sell more since American cars have a bad rep in general. Better gas mileage.

Sorry, No More Jeeps
By ACMilan99

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Great in snow which is why I needed it in the first place but overall quality is awful. This is not my first Jeep but will certainly be my last (especially since the new models are ugly, expect Liberty). Going on the second set of brake rotors which Jeep will not pay for! Has only 12K miles in 1.5 yrs. Grinding noise over bumps in cold weather which no one can figure why; white tire lettering chipping away; transmission shifts with a huge jolt; performance is good; gas mileage is bad (but not why I bought it anyway). It is fun to drive but I can see vehicle aging very quickly.

Great looking especially Red; lots of room inside.

Larger glove box; better factory Q.A. practices for future models or customers will flock elsewhere.

It's Got a Hemi
By Sean

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I recently traded in my beloved Honda Accord for a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. The ride is smooth and quiet but you can hear the RUMBLE when you need that HEMI power to kick in. The fuel economy stinks but I was ready for that when i was getting the 5.7 liter engine. Driving stability is phenomenal. I love the front chrome grill on my Jeep. It's got every imaginable feature such as rain sensors, auto dimming mirrors, heated front seats, 6 disc mp3 cd player, dvd player, memory seats, tire pressure monitor, back up sensor. And its size is not as monstrous as the Suburban so ... you can step on it a little without the fear of losing control. How can you not gun it if you've got a HEMI! :)

Obviously the best thing i like about my Jeep is the 320 hp hemi engine. I like the exterior and interior design. As a matter of fact, I like everything about my Jeep. It is a very sturdy vehicle.

I've only owned my Jeep for barely 2 months and so far I haven't noticed any weaknesses in the vehicle.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
By jkmckiniry

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Engine light and tire light on all the time. Transmission failed at 3500 miles. Currently at dealer.

Appearance.

Improved build quality and inspections.

Not as good as I hoped for
By Michaelsn

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Serious malfunction of brakes after 67 miles. Continuous problem of transmission short shifting in and out of 1st gear. Gas mileage lower than advertised. Styling and interior room good. Poor pickup for quick acceleration. Last Jeep we buy.

Exterior style is good. Interior is good.

Fix the braking system. Get a better transmission.